Professional Web Applications Themes

HELP!!! Dreamweaver could not connect you to theremote server" - Macromedia Contribute Connection Administrtion

Hi all, I have been struck by what seems a common problem with Dreamweaver/Contribute. I get this message when trying to ?Enable Contribute compatibility? in Dreamweaver: ?Dreamweaver could not connect you to the remote server. You cannot perform Contribute administration tasks without a connection to a remote server. Please fix the remote connection before continuing.? I have read that DW will try to write and delete a file to confirm the connection? When I look at the FTP log of DW, it confirms that the Temp file has been written and deleted. Things I have done to try to eliminate ...

  1. #1

    Default HELP!!! Dreamweaver could not connect you to theremote server"

    Hi all,

    I have been struck by what seems a common problem with Dreamweaver/Contribute.

    I get this message when trying to ?Enable Contribute compatibility? in
    Dreamweaver:

    ?Dreamweaver could not connect you to the remote server. You cannot perform
    Contribute administration tasks without a connection to a remote server.
    Please fix the remote connection before continuing.?

    I have read that DW will try to write and delete a file to confirm the
    connection? When I look at the FTP log of DW, it confirms that the Temp file
    has been written and deleted.

    Things I have done to try to eliminate errors includes:
    ? Ensure Contribute is not open on the PC.
    ? Contacted my ISP to ensure that ?/? is the ?Host directory?
    ? Modified the URL in each of the tabs listed below
    ? Including the Base web address

    Below are the settings I have selected in the Site definition window:
    Local info:
    Local root folder: v\website\
    Links relative to Doent:
    Http address: [url]http://www.website.com[/url]

    Remote Info:
    Access FTP
    FTP Host [url]www.website.com[/url]
    Host directory /

    Contribute:
    Rollback enabled: Currently off
    CPS enable Currently off
    Site URL: [url]http://www.website.com[/url]

    I have spoken to my ISP: [url]www.webcentral.com.au[/url]
    ? They have confirmed that Contribute is used on their products by other
    users.
    ? They also stated that they sell Sharepoint as their CMS option

    What other things can I try to eliminate this problem. I have purchased 10
    licences for Contribute and need to get it functioning.

    cspocspo Guest

  2. #2

    The error message you get:

    ?Dreamweaver could not connect you to the remote server. You cannot perform
    Contribute administration tasks without a connection to a remote server. Please
    fix the remote connection before continuing.?

    is the error message you get when Dreamweaver connection to your website is
    not working. Check the connection in Dreamweaver (>Site>Manage sites>Choose
    site>click Edit>Remote info>test connection). Make sure this is wokring fine
    before you try administering your site in Contribute through Dreamweaver.

    ThinkInk Guest

  3. #3

    Sorry to butt in here, but I am having the same problem. I did check and double
    check (>Site>Manage sites>Choose site>click Edit>Remote info>test connection).
    Dreamweaver connects to the remote site/server with no problems, so then I go
    to Contribute in the manage sites and click Test, I get the same message
    ("Dreamweaver could not connect you to the remote server. You cannot perform
    Contribute administration tasks without a connection to a remote server. Please
    fix the remote connection before continuing.").
    This makes no sense to me, does any one have a solution, workaround, anything
    to help with this problem.
    All help is appreciated.

    Larry

    Larry_from_Greenwood Guest

  4. #4

    This is true.
    I can upload files using Dreamweaver to the server.

    My ISP has confirmed that I am on windows 2003 server.

    I am asking them to confirm that I have full read and write access to the
    server (in my non server mind, I assume that I do, because I have been using
    DreamWeaver for the past 3 years on this site.

    Any advice appreciated.

    Regards
    Alf

    cspocspo Guest

  5. #5

    I overlooked the fact that I work within an organisational environment.

    I am starting to realise that I may need them to do something.

    I have contacted them to engage in the solution process.

    Regards
    Alf...

    cspocspo Guest

  6. #6

    Hi,
    Can you please try adding the DNS in your machine where DW is running?
    Steps to add:
    1) In the Network Connections, right click Local Area Connection.
    2) Select Properties.
    3) Select Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) and click Properties button.
    4) Select the radio button Use the following DNS server addresses and provide
    your preferred DNS and Alternate DNS server addresses.
    5) Click Advanced button and select DNS tab in the Advanced PCT/IP setting
    dialog.
    6) Select the radio button "Append these DNS suffixes (in Order)" and add the
    values and also add DNS suffix for this connection.
    7) Click ok and close all the dialogs.

    Hope this helps.

    Dominic Michael Guest