Professional Web Applications Themes

HELP! Emergency! Something farked up bad! :-( - Adobe Illustrator Windows

ACK! Help! Help! Help! I've been working on a project for 2 weeks. I was wrapping it up for delivery tomorrow. I saved it, then tried reloading it and got the following error : ============================== Can't open the illustration. The illustration contains an illegal or misplaced operator. Offending operator: "U" Context: % /ArtDictionary : % /XMLUID : (Text_Outside) ; (AI10_ArtUID) , % ; % 9 () XW U ============================== What does this mean?? How much trouble am I in? There's a whole bunch of layers missing from the file when I bypass the alert! HELP! Someone save me! How can ...

  1. #1

    Default HELP! Emergency! Something farked up bad! :-(

    ==============================

    Can't open the illustration. The illustration contains an illegal or
    misplaced operator.

    Offending operator: "U"

    Context:

    % /ArtDictionary :
    % /XMLUID : (Text_Outside) ; (AI10_ArtUID) ,
    % ;
    %
    9 () XW

    ==============================

    What does this mean?? How much trouble am I in? There's a whole bunch of
    layers missing from the file when I bypass the alert!

    HELP! Someone save me! How can this be fixed?

    Forsky Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: HELP! Emergency! Something farked up bad! :-(

    Forsky wrote:

    > ACK! Help! Help! Help!
    >
    > I've been working on a project for 2 weeks. I was wrapping it up for
    > delivery tomorrow. I saved it, then tried reloading it and got the following
    > error :
    >
    > ==============================
    >
    > Can't open the illustration. The illustration contains an illegal or
    > misplaced operator.
    >
    > Offending operator: "U"
    >
    > Context:
    >
    > % /ArtDictionary :
    > % /XMLUID : (Text_Outside) ; (AI10_ArtUID) ,
    > % ;
    > %
    > 9 () XW
    >
    > ==============================
    >
    > What does this mean?? How much trouble am I in? There's a whole bunch of
    > layers missing from the file when I bypass the alert!
    >
    > HELP! Someone save me! How can this be fixed?
    How did you save it. As an .ai or as an .eps?
    If the latter is the case you might try to place it in some
    lay out software, see what happens there.........

    Or convert it to a PDF file and try to open that in Illy.
    --
    steg
    steggy Guest

  3. #3

    steggy wrote:

    > Forsky wrote:
    > >

    > > HELP! Someone save me! How can this be fixed?
    >
    > How did you save it. As an .ai or as an .eps?
    > If the latter is the case you might try to place it in some
    > lay out software, see what happens there.........
    >
    > Or convert it to a PDF file and try to open that in Illy.
    > --
    > steg
    Or change the extension from .ai to .pdf and try to place it
    in a new Illy doent.
    --
    steg
    steggy Guest

  4. #4

    As a AI10 .ai file!

    I even saved it under two names (when the project was open and fully
    functioning) and now both filenames report the same error when opening!

    HELP! :( This was due tomorrow!

    "steggy" <steggybnrd.invalid.net> wrote in message

    > How did you save it. As an .ai or as an .eps?
    > If the latter is the case you might try to place it in some
    > lay out software, see what happens there.........
    >
    > Or convert it to a PDF file and try to open that in Illy.
    > --
    > steg

    Forsky Guest

  5. #5

    Forsky wrote:

    > As a AI10 .ai file!
    >
    > I even saved it under two names (when the project was open and fully
    > functioning) and now both filenames report the same error when opening!
    >
    > HELP! :( This was due tomorrow!
    >
    > "steggy" <steggybnrd.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > How did you save it. As an .ai or as an .eps?
    > > If the latter is the case you might try to place it in some
    > > lay out software, see what happens there.........
    > >
    > > Or convert it to a PDF file and try to open that in Illy.
    > > --
    > > steg
    How big is it. You might try to zip it (necessary) and send
    it to me, maybe I can open it and resave. Max: 5Mb.

    steggeman at cox.net
    --
    steg
    steggy Guest

  6. #6

    "iehsmith" <inezhsmithspammenotearthlink.net> wrote in message
    news:BCA348EC.17D63%inezhsmithspammenotearthlink. net...

    > When you click OK, the file opens but it is empty.
    Actually, the file opens but it's not empty. It's only missing appx. 40% of
    the layers (seemingly sacrificed at random).
    > Solution 1
    > Change the page area information of the doent:
    > 1. Open a copy of the doent in a text editor that can save in text-only
    > format (e.g., Microsoft Word or WordPerfect).
    >
    > Disclaimer: Adobe does not support modifying files with a text editor.
    Adobe
    > strongly recommends that you have experience editing PostScript code in a
    > text editor and saving files in text-only (e.g., ASCII) format. If you
    > incorrectly modify a file or save it in the wrong format, you may damage
    it
    > further. Always modify a copy of the file so you can revert to the
    original
    > if problems occur.
    >
    > 2. Locate the line that begins
    >
    > %%PageOrigin:
    >
    > 3. Change both numbers beside "%%PageOrigin:" to 0 (zero) so that the line
    > reads
    >
    > %%PageOrigin:0 0
    >
    > 4. Save the doent in text-only format, close the text editor, and then
    > open the doent in Illustrator.
    > 5. Select the Page tool and move the printable area back to the desired
    > location.
    Tried it. Result : no change. Same error reported, same layers appearing
    (and not appearing) once the file is opened.
    > Solution 2
    > Convert the doent to PDF using Adobe Acrobat Distiller, then open the
    PDF
    > file in Illustrator.
    >
    > Note: Acrobat Distiller uses the bounding box of an EPS file to determine
    > the page size of the PDF file. If desired, adjust the page dimensions and
    > printable area after opening the PDF file in Illustrator.
    When attempting to open the .ai file (and also when renaming it to .eps and
    trying a second time) I get the following error message during the
    conversion process :

    %%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: obj ]%%

    Stack:
    0
    1

    %%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
    %%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%
    > Solution 3
    > Place the doent into a page-layout application (e.g., Adobe PageMaker
    or
    > QuarkXPress), print the page-layout doent to disk as a PostScript *.ps
    > file, then open the *.ps file in Illustrator. For more information on
    > printing to file, see the doentation for your page layout application.
    I have neither PageMaker or Quark installed. Only Illustrator, Photoshop,
    Distiller and Dreamweaver.
    > Solution 4
    > If the doent was created on another computer and you have a previously
    > saved version of it, open a copy of the doent and use the Page tool to
    > position the printable area, and then save the doent.
    Afraid not. Only one computer, and no previous versions of the file. Believe
    it or not, I had just cleared them, as the project had just been completed.
    :(
    > Additional Information
    >
    > In PostScript, the %%PageOrigin line specifies the lower left corner of a
    > doent's page area. Illustrator uses information in the selected printer
    > driver (e.g., Epson Color Stylus or Hewlett-Packard DeskWriter) or PPD
    file
    > to determine a doent's page origin. If the printer driver or PPD is
    > damaged, Illustrator may write incorrect page origin values into a
    doent.
    > These incorrect values can cause Illustrator to return an error when
    opening
    > the doent.
    Thanks, but how do I fix it? :'(

    Is it hopeless? I am sending my file to Steggy now. He's my last hope.

    Forsky Guest

  7. #7

    Okay. Just sent you the (zipped) file. <crossing fingers>

    > How big is it. You might try to zip it (necessary) and send
    > it to me, maybe I can open it and resave. Max: 5Mb.
    > --
    > steg

    Forsky Guest

  8. #8

    Forsky wrote:

    > Okay. Just sent you the (zipped) file. <crossing fingers>
    >
    > "steggy" <steggybnrd.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > How big is it. You might try to zip it (necessary) and send
    > > it to me, maybe I can open it and resave. Max: 5Mb.
    > > --
    > > steg
    Emailed you back <crossing toes>
    --
    steg
    steggy Guest

  9. #9

    steggy wrote:

    > Forsky wrote:
    > >
    > > Okay. Just sent you the (zipped) file. <crossing fingers>
    > >
    > > "steggy" <steggybnrd.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > How big is it. You might try to zip it (necessary) and send
    > > > it to me, maybe I can open it and resave. Max: 5Mb.
    > > > --
    > > > steg
    >
    > Emailed you back <crossing toes>
    > --
    > steg
    Well Forsky, did not hear back from you for a while, looked
    at the file closely............thousands of paths and
    gradients, unnecessary objects, mostly rectangles and
    squares thatw ere covering up stuff. I tried to get rid of
    them, but because of all the paths it is going soooooo slow.

    Next time better.
    --
    steg
    steggy Guest

  10. #10

    It's 2am and I just finished repositioning all the artwork (hundreds of
    paths!)

    Took a while, but it sure beat having to recreate it from scratch.

    Thanks to you and iehsmith for your help! That link of his is what helped me
    recuperate those missing layers (albeit in one jumbo pile of paths).

    > Well Forsky, did not hear back from you for a while, looked
    > at the file closely............thousands of paths and
    > gradients, unnecessary objects, mostly rectangles and
    > squares thatw ere covering up stuff. I tried to get rid of
    > them, but because of all the paths it is going soooooo slow.
    >
    > Next time better.

    Forsky Guest