Professional Web Applications Themes

Help! Ethernet card isn't booting correctly under woody Debianlinux - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I'm having, what to me, is a very strange and perplexing Ethernet problem. I have a home network, of five computers, connected by Ethernet, running Debian linux (woody). It's been working fine -- until two nights ago, on a serious problem started on one computer (my teen-age daughter's; which she very much needs for school). A family member wanted to run some windows software on it, to try. I couldn't make wine work; so I rebooted that (one) computer, allowing raw windows to take the computer over, for the first time (there's a small windows partition on the hard disk). ...

  1. #1

    Default Help! Ethernet card isn't booting correctly under woody Debianlinux

    I'm having, what to me, is a very strange and perplexing Ethernet problem.

    I have a home network, of five computers, connected by Ethernet, running
    Debian linux (woody). It's been working fine -- until two nights ago, on
    a serious problem started on one computer (my teen-age daughter's; which
    she very much needs for school).

    A family member wanted to run some windows software on it, to try. I
    couldn't make wine work; so I rebooted that (one) computer, allowing raw
    windows to take the computer over, for the first time (there's a small
    windows partition on the hard disk).

    The computer had been setup to boot directly into linux, without
    prompting; so I edited /etc/lilo.conf, to allow a choice of OS's at boot
    time. I then ran "lilo"; and rebooted, choosing to reboot into windows.

    I managed to get the windows software to operate properly; but not without
    windows acting peculiarly at certain times. E.g., when I told windows to
    "Shut Down", it did; but locked up the computer. Even the power button
    wouldn't work; I had to pull the power plug in the back, to shut the
    computer down.

    On rebooting (choosing linux this time), during the boot process, I
    believe when the script, /etc/init.d/networking was executing, the
    following cryptic message appeared:

    eth0: Media Link Off

    The computer took a while, trying to complete the /etc/init.d/networking
    script, then posted an error message, something to the effect "Failure
    configuring network devices" (meaning, for sure, that eth0 wasn't properly
    configured).

    The boot process continued -- but several RPC calls (to mount file systems
    from other computers on the network), indicated failure in the attempt.
    (The error message included "Network is unreachable".)

    When the boot process was completed, I was left with an isolated computer;
    any attempt to communicate with another computer on the home network (or
    the internet), failed, with the message, "Network is unreachable".

    Clearly, there is something wrong in the way the etehernet card is
    performing.

    Windows (ugh!) reports that "The Ethernet Card is functioneing
    properly". (Using "My computer, device manager, system, networking,
    choosing the ethernet card, and then clicking on Properties.)

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    I don't usually read th9is newsgroup -- so direct email to me also would
    be greatly apprecaited; and I will summarize the results (and, hopefully,
    the soution and cause), to the group.

    Thanks a lot!

    :)

    Yours,

    -- Saul
    Saul Guest

  2. #2

    Saul Lubkin wrote:

    Do you have one of those card that support MII? In that case, it might be
    possible to turn it on again with mii-tool (as root).

    --
    Ruurd
    ..o.

  3. #3

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.hardware.]
    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 16:47:16 -0500, Saul Lubkin
    <rochester.edu> wrote:
    In case that ever happens again, try holding the power button for at
    least five seconds.

    --
    Let the meek inherit the earth -- they have it coming to them.
    -- James Thurber

  4. #4

    Default Re: Help! Ethernet card isn't booting correctly under woody Debian

    I hate to admit it; I've solved the problem!

    The Ethernet cable wasn't plugged into the back of the computer!

    All's better!

    (In a way, Windows WAS guilty: It did lock up the computer, making even
    the power off button inoperable -- so I had to move the computer forward,
    to pull out the power plug. That's when the Ethernet cable, unnoticed,
    slipped off.)

    My apologies for whasting so much space, on all these newsgroups.

    :)

    Yours,

    -- Saul

    Saul Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: Help! Ethernet card isn't booting correctly under woody Debian linux: Problem solved

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 21:55:16 -0500, Saul Lubkin wrote:

    Glad to hear that.

    If you expect to deal with Windows (and hence this problem) more often,
    you might plug the computer into an extension cord with its own on/off
    switch. I have a vaguely similar problem with my own system; after Linux
    shuts down, it won't restart if I hit the power button on the computer
    itself, but only if I flip the extension cord's switch. (Maybe holding
    the button in would fix this. I reboot so rarely that it's pretty much a
    non-issue.)

    Ed Guest