Professional Web Applications Themes

Help find info for CPAN update config questions - PERL Beginners

Hi, In the normal process of updating from a CPAN repository, a message came up saying there was a new version, to install Bundle::CPAN. Ok so I did that. $ sudo perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::CPAN' ..... it gets to setting up some config values. E.g., what is my local host domain name, whether I'm going thru a firewall, my ftp proxy (if any), et al. I'll frankly admit I was somewhat in the dark regarding what information was required here. IS THERE a manual / doent somewhere that explains in a little detail what is being asked in this ...

  1. #1

    Default Help find info for CPAN update config questions

    Hi,

    In the normal process of updating from a CPAN repository, a message came
    up saying there was a new version, to install Bundle::CPAN.

    Ok so I did that.
    $ sudo perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::CPAN'
    ..... it gets to setting up some config values. E.g., what is my local
    host domain name, whether I'm going thru a firewall, my ftp proxy (if
    any), et al. I'll frankly admit I was somewhat in the dark regarding what
    information was required here.

    IS THERE a manual / doent somewhere that explains in a little
    detail what is being asked in this config process? I basically took the
    default (or entered nothing) in each case, except for saying "yes: going
    thru a firewall" - where I then took option one out of about seven for
    firewall access. But maybe I did something wrong. The end result was `test
    install` failed with some nasty messages: `make install` will only work
    with a force option.

    BTW this setup / config is different from the 'first time' setup in
    CPAN. In the 'first time' setup I don't have any problems (i.e., where you
    say "my text browser is /wherever/bin/lynx, my ftp is /whatever/bin/ftp",
    you designate repository mirror sites, and so on).

    Will be glad to provide error messages, but wish to read up first if
    possible. On the specifics of the questions, do they really want the host
    name of the box i'm on? Ok SomeDummyNamelocalhost, but is that needed?
    And, i'm accessing thru a stateful firewall (netfilter - iptables), which
    i have to disable to allow incoming from port 20. (i'm being very general
    here. of course I could write a rule for this.) The CPAN config questions
    had several options for going thru a firewall (USER: PASS: in different
    formats), but I wasn't quite clear on how the would be implemented.

    The platform is slackware 8.1. I think it's perl 5.8 (on another machine
    currently).

    tia and happy gnu year!!!! :)
    j i

    [url]http://antispam./whatsnewfree[/url]
    J Ingersoll Guest

  2. #2

    On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 05:18:00 -0800 (PST)
    J Ingersoll <jhijr> wrote:
    > IS THERE a manual / doent somewhere that explains in a little
    > detail what is being asked in this config process?
    perldoc CPAN

    That will answer all your questions

    --
    Owen

    Owen Guest

  3. #3

    --- Owen <rcookpcug.org.au> wrote:
    > On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 05:18:00 -0800 (PST)
    > J Ingersoll <jhijr> wrote:
    >
    > > IS THERE a manual / doent somewhere that explains in a little
    > > detail what is being asked in this config process?
    >
    > perldoc CPAN
    >
    > That will answer all your questions
    >

    > --
    > Owen

    Thanks and sorry for my somewhat inexact post initially (frustration :^{

    Regarding running perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::CPAN' ...
    In my perl 5.6.1 system,
    after switching from a sudo'd user to root,
    and after taking care of some prerequisites (libnet, MD5),
    ... everything for the latest Bundle::CPAN appears to install correctly.

    originally kept seeing 'make test' fail --
    (not 'test install' like I said initially :) --
    getting :
    CPAN.pm panic: deep recursion in color_cmd_tmps depth[100]
    self[CPAN::Distribution=HASH(0x9715364)]
    id[M/MS/MSCHWERN/Test-Simple-0.47.tar.gz]

    As for my request for doentation, it was mainly for -----------

    Q: Should all FTP connections be passive (y|n) ?
    Q: What is you local internet domain name : []

    -------------- in the original (failed) install. These of course didn't
    cause the failure. Nevertheless, it's good to know what's going on;
    `perldoc CPAN` has a lot of good information but doesn't explain what
    'local internet domain name' is needed for (apparently now not an issue)
    .... regarding passive FTP -----

    <quote>
    One way visibility
    ... So for these types of firewall FTP connec-
    tions need to be done in a passive mode.
    IP Masquerade
    For accessing ftp servers behind such firewalls
    you may need to set the environment variable
    "FTP_PASSIVE" to a true value, e.g.

    env FTP_PASSIVE=1 perl -MCPAN -eshell
    </quote>

    ----- But I'm not doing IP Masquerading. Wondering whether this applies.

    thanks again,

    -resend; initial reply(s) went only to Owen -

  4. #4

    --As off Saturday, January 3, 2004 3:41 PM -0800, J Ingersoll is
    alleged to have said: (Snipped)
    > As for my request for doentation, it was mainly for -----------
    >
    > Q: Should all FTP connections be passive (y|n) ?
    > <quote>
    > One way visibility
    > ... So for these types of firewall FTP connec-
    > tions need to be done in a passive mode.
    > IP Masquerade
    > </quote>
    >
    > ----- But I'm not doing IP Masquerading. Wondering whether this
    > applies.
    --As for the rest, it is mine.

    Well, if you are having problems I'd say yes. ;-)

    FTP has issues with firewalls. (The design doesn't work well with
    them.) If you are behind a firewall you probably only can do
    'passive' ftp. Either that or you can do both passive and active, so
    if there is a question I'd set all to passive. (Well, for user side
    anyway...)

    I'm not sure I'm making sense (sleeep...), so here it is again: If
    you can do FTP you can do passive FTP (90% of time). You may be able
    to do more, but doing only passive won't hurt you (at least not
    much). When in doubt, just stick to passive.

    Daniel T. Staal

    This email copyright the author. Unless otherwise noted, you
    the contents for non-commercial purposes. This copyright will
    local copyright law.
    Daniel Staal Guest

  5. #5

    --- Daniel Staal <DStaalusa.net> wrote:

    > --As for the rest, it is mine.
    >
    > Well, if you are having problems I'd say yes. ;-)
    >
    > FTP has issues with firewalls. (The design doesn't work well with
    > them.) If you are behind a firewall you probably only can do
    > 'passive' ftp. Either that or you can do both passive and active, so
    > if there is a question I'd set all to passive. (Well, for user side
    > anyway...)
    >
    > I'm not sure I'm making sense (sleeep...), so here it is again: If
    > you can do FTP you can do passive FTP (90% of time). You may be able
    > to do more, but doing only passive won't hurt you (at least not
    > much). When in doubt, just stick to passive.
    >
    > Daniel T. Staal

    THanks]
    got what I need
    Linux Firewalls 2nd ed., Robert L. Ziegler, p. 155
    regards