Professional Web Applications Themes

help getting tunes off my iPod - Mac Applications & Software

I had a hard disk failure and (of course) wasn't adequately backed up. As a consequence, I lost about 30 gigs of MP3s. A lot of it is on my iPod. How can I restore these files to my HD? heron -- Nature, heron stone to be commanded, net must be obeyed. mywebpages.comcast.net/heronstone...

  1. #1

    Default help getting tunes off my iPod

    --
    Nature, heron stone
    to be commanded, net
    must be obeyed. mywebpages.comcast.net/heronstone

    heron Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: help getting tunes off my iPod

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 6:15:56 +0100, heron stone wrote
    (in message <comcast.giganews.com>):

    There are *LOADS* of apps that do this - head over to Macupdate.com or
    versiontracker and take your pick! Just a quick glance over my folder of such
    files I can see
    PodUtil
    iPod.iTunes
    iPod Viewer
    iPodRip
    El iPodo

    although I can't remember if they all do what you want - nor how good they
    are or what they cost!
    MU also shows a new entrant "iPod-Dripper"

    You pays your money, you takes your choice!

    Mark Guest

  3. #3

    In article
    <comcast.giganews.com>,
    heron stone <net> wrote:

    There are a bunch of freeware/shareware utilities that can read the
    music files and playlists from your iPod. Go to VersionTracker.com and
    search for "iPod".
    Wayne Guest

  4. #4

    In article
    <comcast.giganews.com>, heron
    stone <net> wrote:

    Podworks.

    http://www.scifihifi.com/podworks/

    Zeph Guest

  5. #5

    In article <150920031035563336%nowhere.net>,
    Zeph <nowhere.net> wrote:

    > Podworks.
    >
    > http://www.scifihifi.com/podworks/
    >
    > z[/ref]

    thanks everyone

    i got it

    heron

  6. #6

    Surf to Versiontracker <http://www.versiontracker.com/> and plug 'ipod'
    (without quotes, of course) into the search window. Take your pick of
    the numerous applications that do what you are asking for.

    Dave

    In article
    <comcast.giganews.com>, heron

    Miami Guest

  7. #7

    In article <comcast.giganews.com>,
    heron stone <net> wrote:

    It's possible to do this without installing any extra software.

    1) Don't let iTunes resynchronise (obviously)

    2) Configure iTunes so that the iPod is mounted as a firewire hard drive.
    Also check that iTunes is configured to copy music to the iTunes
    folder (which is the default, but check anyway)

    3) Open a Terminal window.

    4) Type cd and a space (without a return)

    5) Drag the iPod icon from your desktop to the Terminal window

    This should add its pathname to your cd command line.

    6) Press return.

    To test you're in the right place, type the following, and check that it
    returns a list of your songs:

    find iPod_Control/Music -type f

    7) If you want to reimport these songs into iTunes, type the following:

    find iPod_Control/Music -type f -print0 | xargs -0 -n 1 open

    and go and get a cup of tea. You'll find you can't do anything else
    useful while this is running, because iTunes keeps getting given the
    input focus.

    (note this will only work if iTunes is your default player for .mp3 and
    ..m4a files - you will need a longer form of the open command line if it
    isn't)

    8) Once this has finished, unmount your iPod, and check all your music
    is back in iTunes.

    9) If it's all worked successfully, you can then re-enable
    synchronisation to your iPod.

    Note that this procedure doesn't restore any playlists - I don't know
    whether they playlists on the iPod are the same as those for iTunes, and
    never investigated copying them back when this happened to me - I don't
    use playlists very heavily anyway.

    Tim

    Tim Guest

  8. #8

    In article <Qic*+chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
    Tim Cutts <greenend.org.uk> wrote:

    > It's possible to do this without installing any extra software.
    >
    > 1) Don't let iTunes resynchronise (obviously)
    >[/ref]

    If iTunes was set to synchronize automatically when it was last used,
    and the window to deselect that option can only be displayed when the
    iPod is connected, how can you avoid the resynchronization?

    [Rest of procedure snipped]

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  9. #9

    Tom Stiller <net> wrote:

    >> It's possible to do this without installing any extra software.
    >>
    >> 1) Don't let iTunes resynchronise (obviously)
    >>[/ref]
    >
    >If iTunes was set to synchronize automatically when it was last used,
    >and the window to deselect that option can only be displayed when the
    >iPod is connected, how can you avoid the resynchronization?
    >

    >[Rest of procedure snipped][/ref]

    Since it's a new iTunes install, it won't recognise the iPod. It'll asy
    you whether you want to link to this new iPod. You say no. It will
    then start up as before, showing you what's on the iPod, but won't
    synchronise anything to it.

    That's from memory - it's a couple of months ago that I had to do this,
    and I'm not about to do it deliberately. :-)

    Tim

    Tim Guest

  10. #10

    Tom Stiller <net> writes:

    > > It's possible to do this without installing any extra software.
    > >
    > > 1) Don't let iTunes resynchronise (obviously)
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > If iTunes was set to synchronize automatically when it was last used,
    > and the window to deselect that option can only be displayed when the
    > iPod is connected, how can you avoid the resynchronization?
    >[/ref]
    This isn't an option for everyone, but hook it to a different Mac. It
    will give you the option of synchronizing with the new mac (decline).
    At that point you should be able to transfer the files off.
    --
    Dale J. Stephenson
    com