Professional Web Applications Themes

Help: how with text-blocks? - Macromedia Freehand

Hello everybody, First I apologize for my bad english. I need really a quick information. I noticed that -unlike with Photoshop- when I write with Freehand within a Text-block, it isn't possibile to see trhough it because its background is white. That is bad, 'cause i need to see immediately where to put the text on the image under. I ask you then: it is possible to make transparent the textblock while I write in it? thank you Angelo -- --------------------------------------------------------------------- "Are you still wasting your time with spam?... There is a solution!" Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector The ...

  1. #1

    Default Help: how with text-blocks?

    Hello everybody,

    First I apologize for my bad english. I need really a quick information. I
    noticed that -unlike with Photoshop- when I write with Freehand within a
    Text-block, it isn't possibile to see trhough it because its background is
    white. That is bad, 'cause i need to see immediately where to put the text
    on the image under.
    I ask you then: it is possible to make transparent the textblock while I
    write in it?

    thank you

    Angelo

    There is a solution!"

    [url]http://www.giantcompany.com[/url]

    A.C. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: how with text-blocks?

    That's very odd. I've *never* seen Freehand create a text block with a white
    background. They're *always* transparent. How are you creating the text
    block? It is possible to give a text block a colored (or white) fill, but
    I've never seen that somehow get set as the default and wouldn't know how to
    do it if I wanted to. (I'm still using version 8. Maybe in 10 or MX there's
    a new "feature" regarding this.)

    Bill Schuhle

    "A.C." <angelo_libero.it> wrote in message

    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > First I apologize for my bad english. I need really a quick information. I
    > noticed that -unlike with Photoshop- when I write with Freehand within a
    > Text-block, it isn't possibile to see trhough it because its background is
    > white. That is bad, 'cause i need to see immediately where to put the text
    > on the image under.
    > I ask you then: it is possible to make transparent the textblock while I
    > write in it?
    >
    > thank you
    >
    > Angelo
    > --

    > "Are you still wasting your time with spam?...
    > There is a solution!"
    >
    > Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector
    > The most powerful anti-spam software available.
    > [url]http://www.giantcompany.com[/url]

    Bill Schuhle Guest

  3. #3

    "Bill Schuhle" <bschuhle1aol.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > That's very odd. I've *never* seen Freehand create a text block with a
    white
    > background. They're *always* transparent. How are you creating the text
    > block? It is possible to give a text block a colored (or white) fill, but
    > I've never seen that somehow get set as the default and wouldn't know how
    > do it if I wanted to. (I'm still using version 8. Maybe in 10 or MX
    there's
    > a new "feature" regarding this.)
    >
    > Bill Schuhle
    Well, maybe it is my mistake, I have the version 10, aniway, and I act like
    this:
    I open a file .jpeg.
    It appears the image.
    I select the text tool,
    then I click one the image and I keep pressed the button of the mouse to
    open a text block as big as I need it.
    The text block appears white, and I can't see the image underneath.
    While I write the text, it remains white.
    I can see through it only when I choose the pointer tool, but in that
    modality I can't write, offcourse.

    Thanks.

    Angelo

    A.C. Guest

  4. #4

    A.C.,

    I just tried the sequence of actions you describe in FH8 on both my Mac and
    my PC. On the Mac, the text block is transparent in editing mode. On the PC,
    it has a white background as you describe. I'd never noticed the difference
    before. I can see where that could be quite the pain-in-the-butt. I'll be
    interested to know if any other PC users have found this annoying and
    whether they have possibly come up with a workaround.

    Bill Schuhle

    Bill Schuhle Guest

  5. #5

    I use FH MX but have FH8-10 also installed. Haven't seen any of this problem.
    Even if textblock is behind image, or on a different layer behind, you will
    still see a transparent textblock when writing.
    You can add a background (any color) but it disappear when converted to paths.

    Maybe a background fill is applied to textblocks in your default doc?
    Try to delete fill applied to the textblock and save as a new default doc.

    Bjorn
    ----------------------------
    Win XP Pro
    3.2Ghz
    2Gb RAM
    FH8-11.02

    Dritalei Guest

  6. #6

    This was one disappointment when I migrated from Mac to PC circa FH8 and
    it is still the case in FHMX that you cannot see through a text block as
    you type. It is much more convenient to set type in FH on a Mac. I have
    found no work around for this issue. Each time you make an adjustment, you
    must then deselect the text to see the results of that adjustment.

    --
    Bill
    FHMX/Win98/Athlon2500+/512M
    On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 18:48:13 -0700, Bill Schuhle <bschuhle1aol.com> wrote:
    > A.C.,
    >
    > I just tried the sequence of actions you describe in FH8 on both my Mac
    > and
    > my PC. On the Mac, the text block is transparent in editing mode. On the
    > PC,
    > it has a white background as you describe. I'd never noticed the
    > difference
    > before. I can see where that could be quite the pain-in-the-butt. I'll be
    > interested to know if any other PC users have found this annoying and
    > whether they have possibly come up with a workaround.
    >
    > Bill Schuhle

    Bill Guest

  7. #7

    what if you turn your type layer to keyline?

    BTW I do not experience this problem in Win 2000 and FH9 or MX. I can see
    through my type block over images or other objects while typing!

    Could this be a graphic card/driver issue.

    mg

    "Bill" <billJAIL.THE.SPAMMERS.stitchandprint.com> wrote in message
    > This was one disappointment when I migrated from Mac to PC circa FH8 and
    > it is still the case in FHMX that you cannot see through a text block as
    > you type. It is much more convenient to set type in FH on a Mac. I have
    > found no work around for this issue. Each time you make an adjustment, you
    > must then deselect the text to see the results of that adjustment.
    >

    > --
    > Bill
    > FHMX/Win98/Athlon2500+/512M
    > On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 18:48:13 -0700, Bill Schuhle <bschuhle1aol.com> wrote:
    >
    > > A.C.,
    > >
    > > I just tried the sequence of actions you describe in FH8 on both my Mac
    > > and
    > > my PC. On the Mac, the text block is transparent in editing mode. On the
    > > PC,
    > > it has a white background as you describe. I'd never noticed the
    > > difference
    > > before. I can see where that could be quite the pain-in-the-butt. I'll
    be
    > > interested to know if any other PC users have found this annoying and
    > > whether they have possibly come up with a workaround.
    > >
    > > Bill Schuhle

    Martin Gamache Guest

  8. #8

    Default Re: Help: how with text-blocks?

    Under preferences check the "Smoother Editing" option. This is under
    FH9 it may be different in later versions.

    Rich

    A.C. wrote:
    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > First I apologize for my bad english. I need really a quick information. I
    > noticed that -unlike with Photoshop- when I write with Freehand within a
    > Text-block, it isn't possibile to see trhough it because its background is
    > white. That is bad, 'cause i need to see immediately where to put the text
    > on the image under.
    > I ask you then: it is possible to make transparent the textblock while I
    > write in it?
    >
    > thank you
    >
    > Angelo
    > --

    > "Are you still wasting your time with spam?...
    > There is a solution!"
    >
    > Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector
    > The most powerful anti-spam software available.
    > [url]http://www.giantcompany.com[/url]

    Rich Hudgins Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks. I'll try now.

  10. #10

    "Rich Hudgins" <richnospam-weiss-associates.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Under preferences check the "Smoother Editing" option. This is under
    > FH9 it may be different in later versions.
    >
    > Rich
    It works! Brilliant suggestion. Thank you very much.
    :)

    Angelo

    A.C. Guest