Professional Web Applications Themes

HELP! I need to set up a fully redundant web server architecture - Linux / Unix Administration

We currently have an architecture that DOES NOT WORK! We have been toiling for the past 2-3 months with continual system downtime and irate customers which we can no longer take. I need an infrastructure that is fully redundant with DRP in place to ensure minimal downtime but the problem is that I don't know what I need. I currently have 7 Java/JSP web based applications residing on two separate LX50 Linux machines. 5 applications are on one server and the other two are on the other server. All 7 applications connect to a DB2 database server with 3 separate ...

  1. #1

    Default HELP! I need to set up a fully redundant web server architecture

    We currently have an architecture that DOES NOT WORK! We have been
    toiling for the past 2-3 months with continual system downtime and
    irate customers which we can no longer take. I need an infrastructure
    that is fully redundant with DRP in place to ensure minimal downtime
    but the problem is that I don't know what I need.

    I currently have 7 Java/JSP web based applications residing on two
    separate LX50 Linux machines. 5 applications are on one server and the
    other two are on the other server.

    All 7 applications connect to a DB2 database server with 3 separate
    instances running. The database server is a Sunfire V240 machine
    running Solaris.

    What I need is an archtecture that has failover in place. I've heard
    terms such as hot standby and clustering and want to know what I need
    to have in place.

    All I really need is:

    A web server environment capable of hosting all 7 applications with a
    DRP set-up should anything happen to quickly and easily switch over to
    a hot standby (less than 5 minutes)

    Same goes for the database environment...

    Can anyone offer any suggestions or guidance on where I should start
    looking?

    Thank you

    shannonwhitty@hotmail.com Guest

  2. #2

    On 14 Jun 2005 18:27:02 -0700, com <com> wrote:

    We use an appliance from F5 which does several types of load balancing
    in front of our web farm, and then an application server cluster
    (Weblogic, but Tomcat or most others do it as well) consists of several
    boxes all running the same apps.

    Database servers will vary more in clustering strategies.

    Dave Guest

  3. #3

    I believe we had issues with load balancing with regards to losing
    sessions across the distributed machines - is this a problem that is
    easily fixed? I have a feeling that the guy setting it up for me was
    not as advanced as I would have liked and couldn't get it working as
    opposed to it just not working!!!

    How do you mirror your environments across the application server
    cluster with regards to updates?

    We use Tomcat at the moment and would like to continue using it. So am
    I right in assuming that we could do something along these lines:

    1. Create an image of our web server environment and duplicate onto a
    secondary machine
    2. Make them both do exactly the same thing
    3. Use F5 to load balance between these two machines.
    4. If one goes down, the other will automatically pick up the slack?
    5. Look at a 3rd and 4th machine to add to the cluster?

    Where can I get some info about F5?

    Thanks

    shannonwhitty@hotmail.com Guest

  4. #4

    In article <googlegroups.com>,
    com writes:

    Tomcat 5 supports session tion. See, for example:

    http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/11/24/tion1.html

    We put apache in front of the tomcat servers and use that to load
    balance as well. That works pretty well if one of the tomcats goes down
    - I couldn't notice a break in service when I tested it.

    And then put hardware load balancing in front of that to catch apache
    failing (which I've never seen) or a system failing (which does happen)
    or needing maintenance.

    One advantage of having a hardware load balancer is that you can get
    away with cheap servers. That's the theory anyway. We got the cheap
    servers but not the hardware load balancer :-(

    Well we're an academic site so we just find a quiet slot and
    redeploy. But to do it properly you tell the front end (hardware and/or
    apache) to stop using one of the servers. Then you can work on that,
    and then put it back in the cluster.

    --
    -Peter Tribble
    MRC Rosalind Franklin Centre for Genomics Research

  5. #5

    In article <googlegroups.com>,
    com says...
    Another possibility to look at is having diskless servers and using a boot
    from SAN configuration. NetApp ( and probably others ) offer this ability.
    Using this method keeps your down time for a failed server to the amount of
    time it takes to boot the stand by server. NetApp also has a builtin
    snapshot process so that if something gets lost or corrupted you can
    recover it from the snapshot quickly.

    --
    Mike Miller
    If all else fails - READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Dave Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    Tanks for your help - I think we've decided (95%) to take the
    applications off-site and let them worry about the redundancy - thanks
    for your assistance.

    shannonwhitty@hotmail.com Guest