Professional Web Applications Themes

Help installing Fedora - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

1) Downloaded Fedora ISOs 2) Ran md5sum against all 3 iso files and compared with the MD5SUM file. All OK. 3) Burned all 3 ISO's 4) Booted-up using Fedora CD 1/3 5) Ran media check on all 3 CDs ... all PASSed. 6) Gone past HD partitioning using diskdruid. Selected packages to installat in Workstation installation. 7) Began install Then begins the problem .... From the GUI, it was complaining about setup-2.5.27-1.1.noarch.rpm, clicked OK to retry and same complaint. Ctrl-Alt-F3 ( or F4 ... ) to view the syslog output. Turns out it was having an ioerror. Mostly, I see ...

  1. #1

    Default Help installing Fedora

    1) Downloaded Fedora ISOs

    2) Ran md5sum against all 3 iso files and compared with the MD5SUM
    file. All OK.

    3) Burned all 3 ISO's

    4) Booted-up using Fedora CD 1/3

    5) Ran media check on all 3 CDs ... all PASSed.

    6) Gone past HD partitioning using diskdruid. Selected packages to
    installat in Workstation installation.

    7) Began install

    Then begins the problem ....

    From the GUI, it was complaining about setup-2.5.27-1.1.noarch.rpm,
    clicked OK to retry and same complaint.

    Ctrl-Alt-F3 ( or F4 ... ) to view the syslog output.
    Turns out it was having an ioerror.
    Mostly, I see something like ( if I remember correctly ):

    hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
    hdc: ATAPI reset complete

    ... .and also something like:
    x { Seek }

    It looks like it was mounting and unmounting the CD, since every time
    I click on OK from the GUI, I then switch to the shell in Ctrl-Alt-F1,
    and I can see CD being mounted on /mnt/source, and view files mounted on
    the CD ... and then the mount point is gone again.

    Just to confirm, I booted back to an existing RedHat 7.2 installation
    ( on the same machine where I was intending to install Fedora ),
    mounted the CD, and then tried to query and view the contents of
    setup-2.5.27-1.1.noarch.rpm ... and there was no problem at all!!! (
    See below ).

    What am I missing ? The strange thing is that Fedora __booted__ from
    the CD in graphical mode and confirmed that all 3 medias are OK!!

    Do I need to specify some BIOS setting or boot option ?

    I just installed RedHat 7.2 from CD on this same machine a week ago to
    the same disk ( hdb ) ... just to try out that the new hard disk works
    ( WDC 80GB with 8MB Cache ). Note that CD is on hdc.

    Help!!!!!!

    [johnlocalhost john]$ ls -al
    /mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/setup-2.5.27-1.1.noarch.rpm
    -rw-r--r-- 60 root root 28506 Oct 29 2003
    /mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/setup-2.5.27-1.1.noarch.rpm

    [johnlocalhost john]$ rpm -qilp
    /mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/setup-2.5.27-1.1.noarch.rpm
    Name : setup Relocations: (not
    relocateable)
    Version : 2.5.27 Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
    Release : 1.1 Build Date: Wed 03 Sep
    2003 07:09:58 EST
    Install date: (not installed) Build Host:
    bugs.devel.redhat.com
    Group : System Environment/Base Source RPM:
    setup-2.5.27-1.1.src.rpm
    Size : 34969 License: public domain
    Packager : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
    Description :
    The setup package contains a set of important system configuration and
    setup files, such as passwd, group, and profile.
    /etc/bashrc
    /etc/csh.cshrc
    /etc/csh.login
    /etc/exports
    /etc/filesystems
    /etc/group
    /etc/gshadow
    /etc/host.conf
    /etc/hosts.allow
    /etc/hosts.deny
    /etc/inputrc
    /etc/motd
    /etc/passwd
    /etc/printcap
    /etc/profile
    /etc/profile.d
    /etc/protocols
    /etc/securetty
    /etc/services
    /etc/shadow
    /etc/shells
    /usr/share/doc/setup-2.5.27
    /usr/share/doc/setup-2.5.27/uidgid
    /var/log/lastlog

    [johnlocalhost john]$ rpm --checksig --nogpg
    /mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/setup-2.5.27-1.1.noarch.rpm

    /mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/setup-2.5.27-1.1.noarch.rpm: md5 OK

    noone Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help installing Fedora

    noone wrote:

    This is driving me nuts!!

    Tried it again ... the full entry form syslog was:

    <4>hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    <4>hdc: bad_request: error=0x54 I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc) sector 1196808

    This happens when the installer tries to copy or read
    setup-2.5.27-1.1.noarch.rpm.

    So it looks like a defective CD problem, despite the fact that the
    checkmedia process says it passed ... but there's more to this as you
    will see below.

    As mentioned in the my OP, Fedora would unmount the CD until you click
    on OK to try again. So while the CD is unmounted, from the shell in
    Ctrl-Alt-F1, I did:

    mkdir /mnt/source
    mount /dev/hdc /mnt/source
    cp /mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/setup-2.5.27-1.1.noarch.rpm /dev/null

    .... and I get the same error as the one I noted above. So I can
    te it. So it seems definitely like a CD / media problem.

    ..... until ...

    I rebooted back to Redhat 7.2, mounted the CD, and did:

    cp /mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/setup-2.5.27-1.1.noarch.rpm /dev/null

    .... and there was no error!!! No error logged at all in /var/lgo/messages.

    So I thought it may be when copying from the CD to the hard disk that
    where I wanted Fedora installed. So I mounted /dev/hdb2 on /mnt/hdb2,
    and did:

    cp /mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/setup-2.5.27-1.1.noarch.rpm /mnt/hdb2

    .... no problem again. Even ran cksum against the rpm in the CD and on /m
    nt/hdb2 ... both returned the same MD5 sum.

    So from the point, it does not seem to be a CD / media problem.

    arggghhh!!!!!!

    noone Guest

  3. #3

    noone <org> wrote:

    Fix your cable or cdrom drive or controller (maybe torn off/on dma).

    You sure it's jumpered correctly? It says its master on the second ide
    bus - so there should be nothing else on that bus except maybe another
    cdrom. That is, if it is _really_ a cdrom, and not a cdrw, or dvd ...

    Move it to the other bus.

    Looks like a defective something, but your test does not identify what.
    Put another cd in the drive and read it all (use live cd mode).

    More or less. Or cable. Or controller. Changing the media and leaving
    everything else stable would be the test!

    So it looks like a controller problem. Check the dma mode, and change
    it.

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  4. #4

    > So from the point, it does not seem to be a CD / media problem.

    I once had a similar kind of problem (RH 9.0), although it
    was with a floppy. It booted fine from a floppy but it failed
    completely to read the drvimg floppy after booting.
    Turned out in the BIOS a wrong type of floppydrive was selected.
    after setting it to the proper device, everything was okay again.
    check the BIOS and see if the CD drive is detected properly
    by the BIOS. If not, correct that.

    Eric
    Eric Guest

  5. #5

    P.T. Breuer wrote:

    > Fix your cable or cdrom drive or controller (maybe torn off/on dma).
    >
    > You sure it's jumpered correctly? It says its master on the second ide
    > bus - so there should be nothing else on that bus except maybe another
    > cdrom. That is, if it is _really_ a cdrom, and not a cdrw, or dvd ...
    >
    >[/ref]

    There is the CDROM drive and a CDRW drive on the second bus.
    I have used the CDROM drive and CDRW drive for a long time without any
    problems from either win and the working RH 7.2 installation, and have
    installed RH 7.2 from the CDROM drive just a week before.

    How did "know" that the CDROM is master on the second IDE bus when you
    said "It says its master on the second ide bus" ?

    > Move it to the other bus.[/ref]

    Only problem with moving the CDROM to the other bus is all are used, and
    winoze ( dual-boot ) may not like it

    noone Guest

  6. #6

    noone <org> wrote:

    > > Fix your cable or cdrom drive or controller (maybe torn off/on dma).
    > >
    > > You sure it's jumpered correctly? It says its master on the second ide
    > > bus - so there should be nothing else on that bus except maybe another
    > > cdrom. That is, if it is _really_ a cdrom, and not a cdrw, or dvd ...[/ref][/ref]

    That's what's wrong then. A cdrom must be slave to a cdrw.

    Jumper them correctly - the cdrom must be slave and the cdrw
    master.

    Because it says so three times in those two lines of error messages.

    > > Move it to the other bus.[/ref][/ref]

    Either you change something or you stay in the same sitauation.

    I would jumper them the right way round before even bothering to start
    thinking.

    Then ask in a windows group why it doesn't like it and how to fix it.

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  7. #7

    "noone" <org> wrote in message

    Possibly a CD-ROM drive problem. Did you try:

    linux ide=nodma

    at the boot prompt?

    --
    William Hooper

    It's sad that a family can be torn apart by something as simple as a pack of
    wild dogs.

    William Guest

  8. #8

    P.T. Breuer wrote:
     [/ref]

    > That's what's wrong then. A cdrom must be slave to a cdrw.
    >[/ref]

    OK ... call me naive ... but why does a CDROM must be a slave to a CDRW ?

    noone Guest

  9. #9

    Hello

    P.T. Breuer (<it.uc3m.es>) wrote:

    > Jumper them correctly - the cdrom must be slave and the cdrw
    > master.[/ref]

    I have been using a cdrom and a cdrw drive for a long time without any
    problems with the cdrom being jumpered to master (/dev/hdc) and the
    cdrw being jumpered as slave (/dev/hdd).

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    com

  10. #10

    Andreas Janssen <com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    > > Jumper them correctly - the cdrom must be slave and the cdrw
    > > master.[/ref][/ref]

    The electronics isn't on the cdrom to make it work. Maybe you have been
    using them to read only. Or maybe you hit lucky and got a cdrom with
    more than the absolute minimum of drive electronics on it. Who can
    tell!

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  11. #11

    noone <org> wrote:
    > > That's what's wrong then. A cdrom must be slave to a cdrw.[/ref][/ref]

    Ask rather why a cdrw must be master to a cdrom.

    Cdroms don't have the electronics to be master to a real
    no-holds-barred full-spectrum freeform high-profile multi-vitamin
    ide read/write device. They can't write themselves, so they aren't
    going to be very good at managing somebody elses writing.

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  12. #12

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 10:10:15 +0000, P.T. Breuer wrote:
     [/ref]

    > Ask rather why a cdrw must be master to a cdrom.
    >
    > Cdroms don't have the electronics to be master to a real
    > no-holds-barred full-spectrum freeform high-profile multi-vitamin
    > ide read/write device. They can't write themselves, so they aren't
    > going to be very good at managing somebody elses writing.
    >
    > Peter[/ref]
    CDroms don't do any writing, that is the job of the CDrw so many people
    use the CDrom as the master to simply read discs and boot etc to take the
    load off the CDrw.

    --
    Neil
    Delete delete to get address

    Neil Guest

  13. #13

    Hello

    P.T. Breuer (<it.uc3m.es>) wrote:

    > [/ref]
    > [/ref]

    > The electronics isn't on the cdrom to make it work. Maybe you have
    > been using them to read only.[/ref]

    No, I also used the cdrw for writing, with ide-scsi emulation (activated
    for both drives).

    Maybe Samsung could tell, they made the cd drive. I will try to find
    some information on the drive.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

  14. #14

    "P.T. Breuer" <it.uc3m.es> wrote in message

    I call BS. Cite your source.

    a) Having used CD-RWs as slaves to CD-Roms (and hard drives and zip drives,
    and on occation to no master) I know that CD-RWs don't need to be master.

    And the big one:

    b) Why is there a "slave" jumper position on CD-RWs if they must be master?
    Hardware manufactures aren't in the business of generating support calls for
    themselves.

    --
    William Hooper

    Hey, this isn't my tagline ! Who put it here ?

    William Guest

  15. #15

    William Hooper <com_nospam> wrote: [/ref]

    You cite yours. I'll vote for my memory (I think the last time I looked
    this up, I was in the atapi howto, or something equally arcane). You
    google. I don't feel a need to back up my memory with quotes! If you
    want to try, my first lookup would be "linux cdrom as master on ide
    bus".

    Oh, a random scan through the atapi howto (WHY do I do this for you?)
    stumps up the following kind of burble:

    Q5: I've installed the drive as the only device on the secondary
    interface, with the CDROM drive jumpered as SLAVE/SINGLE, and Linux
    won't see it. What am I missing?

    A5: Well, quite a lot, to be frank. 99.99% of the ATAPI CDROM drives
    are shipped jumpered as SLAVE or SINGLE, and this simply will not work
    with Linux. By the IDE standard, a single drive on an interface must
    be jumpered as MASTER. There isn't (or shouldn't be) a specification
    for SINGLE in the IDE standard. Change the jumper on the back of the
    CDROM drive to MASTER, and follow the directions in Question 4, and
    you should be set to go.

    I didn't say they did. I said cdroms can't be master. No electronics.

    For the same reason as there is a "term" jumper on my scsi ultra 160
    disks, even though disks can't terminate busses on u160.

    Alternatively, see above quoted atapi HT paras for more non-sense.

    Next?

    You know very little about hardware manufacturers!

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  16. #16

    "P.T. Breuer" <it.uc3m.es> wrote in message
    news:it.uc3m.es... [/ref]

    > You cite yours. I'll vote for my memory (I think the last time I looked
    > this up, I was in the atapi howto, or something equally arcane). You
    > google. I don't feel a need to back up my memory with quotes! If you
    > want to try, my first lookup would be "linux cdrom as master on ide
    > bus".[/ref]

    It is your claim to prove, not mine to disprove. Others have already
    disagreed with you. Disproving something that doesn't exist is next to
    impossible.

    ^^^^^^^^

    That doesn't say anything about using a CD-RW as a slave with a CD-Rom as
    master.

    --
    William Hooper

    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

    William Guest

  17. #17

    William Hooper <com_nospam> wrote:

    > > You cite yours. I'll vote for my memory (I think the last time I looked
    > > this up, I was in the atapi howto, or something equally arcane). You
    > > google. I don't feel a need to back up my memory with quotes! If you
    > > want to try, my first lookup would be "linux cdrom as master on ide
    > > bus".[/ref][/ref]

    No, it's your claim that cdroms can be masters to normal ide devices!
    You "prove" it.

    No they haven't. I only recall one person, and I'm not sure that wasn't
    you. And if they do, so what?

    There you are then - you prove it, since you claim you have a hold of
    the fact. You find the doc that says that cdroms can master ide disks.

    Maybe it exists, maybe it doesn't!

    > ^^^^^^^^ [/ref]

    Nor do I much care about cdrws as slaves in particular - cdrws aren't
    partcularly generic ide devices either. But if you are so sure that a
    cdrom has the electronics required to master an ide bus, then put it as
    master to your ide boot disk, and tell us how you get on.

    Maybe you'll survive. I don't know! I recall that cdroms simply never
    had the electronics on board to do that kind of thing. Maybe that's
    changed lately. Nothing is forever. Maybe the electronics has got so
    integrated that it's all the same nowadays!

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  18. #18

    > No, it's your claim that cdroms can be masters to normal ide devices!
    > You "prove" it.[/ref]

    How is a CD-RW a "normal" ide device? Isn't it just as ATAPI as a CD-ROM
    drive?

    > No they haven't. I only recall one person, and I'm not sure that wasn't
    > you. And if they do, so what?[/ref]

    "No they haven't... well, that one, but nobody else..."

    > There you are then - you prove it, since you claim you have a hold of
    > the fact. You find the doc that says that cdroms can master ide disks.
    >
    > Maybe it exists, maybe it doesn't![/ref]

    Following some links from "How stuff works" (you should try it sometime, you
    might learn something).
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/conf.htm
    "Note that despite the hierarchical-sounding names of "master" and "slave",
    the master drive does not have any special status compared to the slave one;
    they are really equals in most respects. The slave drive doesn't rely on the
    master drive for its operation or anything like that..."

    You see, IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics) means that all the electronics
    to operate the drive are (wait for it) integrated with the drive...

    > > ^^^^^^^^ [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    as

    > Nor do I much care about cdrws as slaves in particular - cdrws aren't
    > partcularly generic ide devices either.[/ref]

    I would rely on that memory of yours too much: [/ref][/ref]

    You just forgot what you were talking about twice in one sentence.

    --
    William Hooper

    If you don't care where you are, then you ain't lost

    William Guest

  19. #19

    P.T. Breuer wrote: [/ref]

    > Ask rather why a cdrw must be master to a cdrom.
    >
    > Cdroms don't have the electronics to be master to a real
    > no-holds-barred full-spectrum freeform high-profile multi-vitamin
    > ide read/write device. They can't write themselves, so they aren't
    > going to be very good at managing somebody elses writing.
    >
    > Peter[/ref]

    Almost all of the retail PCs sold with CD-ROM and CD-RW have CD-ROM as
    master and CD-RW as slave on the second IDE channel.

    If CD-ROMS cannot be master to a CDRW ...

    1) Why then does my existing RH 7.2 installation works well accessing
    the CD-ROM and burning CDs with the CD-RW with the current setup as it
    is ( CD-ROM as master, CD-RW as slave ) ?

    2) Whey then does windoze ( I dual-boot ) also works well just like RH 7.2 ?

    noone Guest

  20. #20

    William Hooper wrote:

    > Possibly a CD-ROM drive problem. Did you try:
    >
    > linux ide=nodma
    >
    > at the boot prompt?
    >[/ref]

    ... hhmmm .... isn't that supposed to be ideX=nodma?
    Which in my case, is ide1=nodma ( since the CDROM drive is IDE channel 1 ) ?

    noone Guest

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast