Professional Web Applications Themes

HELP!! iSync thrashed my Tungsten!! - Mac Applications & Software

I activated with iSync just out of curiosity thinking it wouldn't hurt to duplicate the Palm backups to both the Palm Desktop and to iSync but discovered a few days later that DateBk4's Daily Journal entries were not being inserted into iCal the way they were into PD4's DateBook. Right! iSync's gotta go. Too much daily info is being stashed in the Journals. Easier said than done. I turned it off in HotSync Manager's Conduit Settings, although I can't seem to delete iSync from the list entirely, then I noticed there was no mention of DateBook in the Conduit list ...

  1. #1

    Default HELP!! iSync thrashed my Tungsten!!

    I activated with iSync just out of curiosity thinking it wouldn't hurt
    to duplicate the Palm backups to both the Palm Desktop and to iSync but
    discovered a few days later that DateBk4's Daily Journal entries were
    not being inserted into iCal the way they were into PD4's DateBook.

    Right! iSync's gotta go. Too much daily info is being stashed in the
    Journals. Easier said than done. I turned it off in HotSync Manager's
    Conduit Settings, although I can't seem to delete iSync from the list
    entirely, then I noticed there was no mention of DateBook in the Conduit
    list at all. Sure enough there hasn't been any records kept since
    turning iSync on. It must have overwritten anything it thought it was
    taking charge of.

    Somehow I have to retrieve the DateBook conduit and anything else bloody
    iSync has been messing with. Like there's no Addresses either!!

    I tried creating a new User in PD4 then changed the names so the
    Tungsten would recreate the Mac files but the User name in the Palm
    promptly changed to sync with the original's new name. I don't want to
    get too stroppy here in case I accidently delete everything.

    Anyone got any ideas of how to retrieve the situation?
    --
    ....IRO

    IRO Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: HELP!! iSync thrashed my Tungsten!!

    In article
    <ipg.tsnz.net>,
    IRO <iro.dot.spring.at.paradise.dot.net.dot.nz> wrote:

    Look in /Library/Application Support/Palm Hotsync. The old conduits are
    in the Disabled Conduits folder. This is in one of the Readme files
    that came with iSync.
    --
    Kevin Michael Vail | Dogbert: That's circular reasoning.
    net | Dilbert: I prefer to think of it as no loose ends.

  3. #3

    In article <his.com>,
    Kevin Michael Vail <net> wrote:

    > Look in /Library/Application Support/Palm Hotsync. The old conduits are
    > in the Disabled Conduits folder. This is in one of the Readme files
    > that came with iSync.[/ref]

    I had tracked them down and replaced them, but the missing weeks of
    Daily Journals are still locked into the Tungsten and won't back up.

    Any clues how to purge the iSync listing from the Conduit Settings?

    It's all a bit academic at the moment. I reinstalled the software,
    upgrading from v4 to v4.1 and now the Transport Manager unexpectedly
    quits in the middle of every backup. <Sigh!!> looks like a total purge
    and reinstall from the ground up is in order.

    --
    ....IRO

    IRO Guest

  4. #4

    IRO wrote:

    >> Look in /Library/Application Support/Palm Hotsync. The old conduits are
    >> in the Disabled Conduits folder. This is in one of the Readme files
    >> that came with iSync.[/ref]
    >
    > I had tracked them down and replaced them, but the missing weeks of
    > Daily Journals are still locked into the Tungsten and won't back up.[/ref]

    If you're sure all the data on your Palm is correct, but the desktop data is
    wrong or uncertain, set your conduits to copy from the Palm to the Desktop
    instead of synching.

    Move the iSync conduit INTO the Disabled Conduits folder. That's where it
    belongs until it handles DATEBK5 categories. ;-)

    In the middle of the backup, or some other conduit? Sometimes the log isn't
    very helpful on a crash, and you just have to watch carefully while it
    runs. I've had a lot of trouble with Docs To Go 5 crashing when trying to
    sync certain doents (particularly spreadsheets).

    You might even try REMOVING (to the Disabled folder) all but the basic Palm
    conduits, and try that before enabling any others.

    --
    | Hewlett-Packard Company Tru64 UNIX & VMS Thread Architect |