Professional Web Applications Themes

Help Me Save Some Time...Please! - Macromedia Freehand

I appologize for taking everyone's time, but could someone quickly tell me the difference between Fireworks and FreeHand? I use Fireworks religiously, but my boss mentioned he was thinking about buying a copy of FreeHand. I did't know how to respond because I don't see much difference other than the print media options in FreeHand. Please school me in the differences. Just something quick is fine. I want to see if buying FreeHand is even beneficial. Thanks much, Micah...

  1. #1

    Default Help Me Save Some Time...Please!

    I appologize for taking everyone's time, but could someone quickly tell me the
    difference between Fireworks and FreeHand? I use Fireworks religiously, but my
    boss mentioned he was thinking about buying a copy of FreeHand. I did't know
    how to respond because I don't see much difference other than the print media
    options in FreeHand.

    Please school me in the differences. Just something quick is fine. I want to
    see if buying FreeHand is even beneficial.

    Thanks much,
    Micah

    JayhawkMicah Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help Me Save Some Time...Please!

    In article <dajt2f$6s$macromedia.com>,
    "JayhawkMicah" <com> wrote:

    If you don't do any print-work then it might not be of great benefit to
    you although...

    Fireworks is basically a bitmap editor like Photoshop just with much
    less-refined tools.

    FW fakes its vector tools in a clever way by storing vector info in its
    meta-data but in the end its native file format, PNG, is pixel based.

    That might not be much of a problem unless you're dealing with large,
    complex drawings - then FW will slow to a crawl.

    FreeHand on the opposite is a "native" vector drawing application. The
    files it produces tend to be much leaner as they consist of
    mathematically defined objects as opposed to pixels. Therefore they can
    easily be enlarged to any size without losing their crisp appearance.

    The bottomline is FH creates resolution-independent files while FW
    produces files with a certain PPI (pixels per inch) and is limited to
    RGB colour mode. It can't deal with the CMYK colour model which is
    essential for print output.

    Cheers Martin

    --
    To reply remove the waste bin.
    Martin Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the info Martin. I appreciate your time.
    JayhawkMicah Guest

  4. #4

    Okay Martin (or anyone), let me ask you this. How does FH treat imported pixel
    based images? Does it convert the image on import or does it keep the pixels
    within it's mathmatical little world?

    Could I for example import a png file and then export from FH in a eps format
    and be ready to print?

    Thanks,
    Micah

    JayhawkMicah Guest

  5. #5

    In article <dals04$pat$macromedia.com>,
    "JayhawkMicah" <com> wrote:

    Pixel images stay as such - FreeHand won't touch them.
    Photographic images can only be reproduced as vector art in a fairly
    crude, posterized way.

    You can experiment with FH's auto trace tool and see what's possible but
    in general photos contain to many different colours and tones to be
    adequately rendered as vectors.

    You can either bring in native FW vectors by exporting them as
    Illustrator format as far as I remember or import the PNG. However you
    need to be aware that FW by default creates files at screen resolution
    of 72 PPI which is no good for printing. They would have to be resized
    to around 25% in FH to be usable.

    They will also be in RGB format which isn't appropriate for print work
    either. FH offers the possibility to convert colours to CMYK upon export
    but this is really a last resort as it does not give you any control of
    the conversion settings.

    RGB images are best converted to CMYK in a dedicated image editor like
    Photoshop.

    Cheers Martin