Professional Web Applications Themes

Help me undo the iSync nightmare! - Mac Applications & Software

I installed iCal and iSync and the conduit... What a disaster! Slow, incomplete, inferior to the lousy Palm Desktop. What a disappointment from Apple. But the worst part is, there's no way to go back. I've dragged all the iCal and iSync files to the trash, but the iSync Conduit remains in my HotSync Conduit Settings, and even though I dragged all the Disabled Conduits back into the Conduits Folder, my Palm now won't HotSync the way it did before I foolishly entered into the iSync disaster. Help!...

  1. #1

    Default Help me undo the iSync nightmare!

    I installed iCal and iSync and the conduit... What a disaster! Slow,
    incomplete, inferior to the lousy Palm Desktop. What a disappointment
    from Apple. But the worst part is, there's no way to go back. I've
    dragged all the iCal and iSync files to the trash, but the iSync
    Conduit remains in my HotSync Conduit Settings, and even though I
    dragged all the Disabled Conduits back into the Conduits Folder, my
    Palm now won't HotSync the way it did before I foolishly entered into
    the iSync disaster. Help!
    Bourne Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help me undo the iSync nightmare!

    In article <google.com>, Bourne
    <com> wrote:

    Re-install the Palm desktop software.

    Lloyd
    Lloyd Guest

  3. #3

    Lloyd Parsons <com> wrote in message news:<151020031518574740%com>...

    > Re-install the Palm desktop software.
    >
    > Lloyd[/ref]

    Thank you!
    One more question -- I have the Palm desktop (without the iSync) on
    another computer with all my preferences the way I like 'em
    (Categories, fonts, etc.). What file would I copy over from that
    computer to the one that I just reinstalled Palm on? A preference
    file, I'm guessing? (I'm using Jaguar).

    Thanks again.
    Bourne Guest

  4. #4

    <com> wrote:

    > > Re-install the Palm desktop software.
    > >
    > > Lloyd[/ref]
    >
    > Thank you!
    > One more question -- I have the Palm desktop (without the iSync) on
    > another computer with all my preferences the way I like 'em
    > (Categories, fonts, etc.). What file would I copy over from that
    > computer to the one that I just reinstalled Palm on? A preference
    > file, I'm guessing? (I'm using Jaguar).
    >
    > Thanks again.[/ref]

    Good question. There is a folder called 'palm' in my user directory.
    It has whole bunches of things in it, so I think that is what you need.

    Otherwise, there may be a preferences file in the
    /users/username/library folder

    Lloyd
    Lloyd Guest

  5. #5

    In article <171020031548177306%com>,
    Lloyd Parsons <com> wrote:
     [/ref][/ref]

    I'm using the Palm Desktop with my handheld and I want to keep it
    that way. But I was wondering about using iSync to synchronize the
    Address Book on my iBook with the one on my eMac. Can I do this without
    affecting Palm Desktop, or it is all or nothing?

    --
    d49ot
    d49ot Guest

  6. #6

    In article <newsguy.com>, d49ot
    <invalid> wrote:
     [/ref]

    > I'm using the Palm Desktop with my handheld and I want to keep it
    > that way. But I was wondering about using iSync to synchronize the
    > Address Book on my iBook with the one on my eMac. Can I do this without
    > affecting Palm Desktop, or it is all or nothing?[/ref]

    If you are referring to the address book with OSX, then you can use
    iSync to do some syncing. Unless you loaded the palm isync package,
    isync doesn't even know it is there.

    I use iSync for all my needs, including my palm device.

    But, for my iCal and Address book, I just sync to my .mac account with
    either my laptop or desktop. When I want to sync the palm, I just use
    the desktop as it is the only one I have the palm isync package
    installed on.

    Lloyd
    Lloyd Guest

  7. #7

    In article <181020031038387937%com>,
    Lloyd Parsons <com> wrote:

    > If you are referring to the address book with OSX, then you can use
    > iSync to do some syncing. Unless you loaded the palm isync package,
    > isync doesn't even know it is there.[/ref]

    Yes, I meant the OSX address book. I want to keep it the same on
    both computers. Is the iSync Palm package part of the basic install and
    should I do a custom install, or is it an add-on that you install
    separately?
    Thanks for the information.

    --
    d49ot
    d49ot Guest

  8. #8

    <invalid> wrote:

    > > If you are referring to the address book with OSX, then you can use
    > > iSync to do some syncing. Unless you loaded the palm isync package,
    > > isync doesn't even know it is there.[/ref]
    >
    > Yes, I meant the OSX address book. I want to keep it the same on
    > both computers. Is the iSync Palm package part of the basic install and
    > should I do a custom install, or is it an add-on that you install
    > separately?
    > Thanks for the information.[/ref]

    The iSync Palm package is not part of the basic install, you have to
    get it. But you only need it if you are going to sync your palm with
    iSync.

    To sync the address book (a iCal) from one machine to the other is a
    two step process as far as I can see. Do a sync with your .mac account
    with one computer, then do it again with the other.

    However, your palm won't see these. The only way that the Palm can
    become part of this is to use the Palm add-on for iSync. But then Palm
    Desktop doesn't sync. It is an either-or situation.

    I wanted my Palm, .mac, and both computers to be synced, so I added the
    palm sync to my G4. I sync it all on the G4, then sync to .mac. Then
    I sync my laptop to .mac. (or vice-versa if I have made changes while
    on the road in the laptop).

    I find the laptop much better for me on the road, and find myself using
    the Palm more for ebook reading than anything else.

    Lloyd
    Lloyd Guest

  9. #9

    In article <181020031604170200%com>,
    Lloyd Parsons <com> wrote:

    Well, that kills it for me. I don't have a .Mac account. I thought
    that iSync could synchronize over an ethernet LAN.

    --
    d49ot
    d49ot Guest

  10. #10

    <invalid> wrote:

    > Well, that kills it for me. I don't have a .Mac account. I thought
    > that iSync could synchronize over an ethernet LAN.[/ref]

    I went back through the help and some other digging. It appears that
    the way that iSync works with a .mac account is via a WebDAV server.
    Reading between the lines tells me that you would have to have a WebDAV
    server to sync with on one computer somewhere, whether that is .mac or
    some other WebDAV server. But, they don't really talk about how you
    would do that.

    My opinion is that the .mac service is worth it. I use mine for
    publishing my calendars and contacts as well as for email and storage
    space. I use the storage to share files with friends on occasion.
    Over the year I've had it, Apple has given me enough 'free' things to
    more than pay for it. You might want to consider it.

    As a straight-up webhost .mac leaves a bit to be desired, but I don't
    do that kind of stuff much. The little I do is usually sharing photos
    and things with friends and family. With the integration of .mac with
    iPhoto it is simple and slick.

    Lloyd
    Lloyd Guest

  11. #11

    In article <181020032210479531%com>,
    Lloyd Parsons <com> wrote:

    I've looked into it, but I don't think it would be worth it for me.
    Most of the services it provides I either don't need or have some other
    option. I'll have to figure out another way to sync the Address Books.
    Thanks for the info.

    --
    d49ot
    d49ot Guest