Professional Web Applications Themes

Help - need a file - can't open windows?! - Windows XP/2000/ME

Hi, Can anyone help on this one please? Can't boot my main pc. It's a computer running Windows XP and suddenly says: " Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file" I've looked at the XP CD but can't find that file...anyone know if it should be on the XP CD? Alternatively if anyone could send me a copy of the file ntoskrnl.exe I'd be most grateful. Thanks, Pete...

  1. #1

    Default Help - need a file - can't open windows?!

    Hi,
    Can anyone help on this one please? Can't boot my main pc.
    It's a computer running Windows XP and suddenly says:

    " Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
    Please re-install a copy of the above file"

    I've looked at the XP CD but can't find that file...anyone know if it should
    be on the XP CD?

    Alternatively if anyone could send me a copy of the file ntoskrnl.exe I'd be
    most grateful.

    Thanks,

    Pete

    Pete Stockdale Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help - need a file - can't open windows?!

    "Pete Stockdale" <petepjcactus.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Can anyone help on this one please? Can't boot my main pc.
    > It's a computer running Windows XP and suddenly says:
    >
    > " Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    corrupt:
    > <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
    > Please re-install a copy of the above file"
    >
    > I've looked at the XP CD but can't find that file...anyone know if it
    should
    > be on the XP CD?
    >
    > Alternatively if anyone could send me a copy of the file ntoskrnl.exe I'd
    be
    > most grateful.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Pete
    ----------------------------
    Ah, - found it now on the XP CD - now I have copied that
    file - well file ntoskrnl.ex_ (not sure if that makes a difference .ex_
    instead of .exe) onto floppy, then when I try to boot my XP machine and get
    the message previously referred to about the missing or corrupt file I
    insert the floppy...however now get the message -
    "non-system disk or disk error
    replace and press any key when ready"

    Unfortunately I don't have back up or rescue floppies....and of course can't
    use the CD to boot up.

    Any help/advice in getting the darned machine working ok again would be
    appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Pete

    Pete Stockdale Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Pete,

    Why can't you use the CD to boot up?

    That file needs to be expanded from the command prompt (not simply copied).
    This is most easily done from the Recovery Console by booting the WinXP CD.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
    [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/[/url]
    Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    [url]www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone[/url]
    Win98 Help - [url]www.rickrogers.org[/url]

    > "Pete Stockdale" <petepjcactus.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > Can anyone help on this one please? Can't boot my main pc.
    > > It's a computer running Windows XP and suddenly says:
    > >
    > > " Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    > corrupt:
    > > <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
    > > Please re-install a copy of the above file"
    > >
    > > I've looked at the XP CD but can't find that file...anyone know if it
    > should
    > > be on the XP CD?
    > >
    > > Alternatively if anyone could send me a copy of the file ntoskrnl.exe
    I'd
    > be
    > > most grateful.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Pete
    > ----------------------------
    > Ah, - found it now on the XP CD - now I have copied that
    > file - well file ntoskrnl.ex_ (not sure if that makes a difference .ex_
    > instead of .exe) onto floppy, then when I try to boot my XP machine and
    get
    > the message previously referred to about the missing or corrupt file I
    > insert the floppy...however now get the message -
    > "non-system disk or disk error
    > replace and press any key when ready"
    >
    > Unfortunately I don't have back up or rescue floppies....and of course
    can't
    > use the CD to boot up.
    >
    > Any help/advice in getting the darned machine working ok again would be
    > appreciated.
    > Thanks,
    > Pete

    Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers Guest

  4. #4

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rickmvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi Pete,
    >
    > Why can't you use the CD to boot up?
    >
    > That file needs to be expanded from the command prompt (not simply
    copied).
    > This is most easily done from the Recovery Console by booting the WinXP
    CD.

    > --
    > Best of Luck,
    >
    > Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
    > [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/[/url]
    > Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    > [url]www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone[/url]
    > Win98 Help - [url]www.rickrogers.org[/url]
    >
    > "Pete Stockdale" <petepjcactus.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Pete Stockdale" <petepjcactus.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > > Can anyone help on this one please? Can't boot my main pc.
    > > > It's a computer running Windows XP and suddenly says:
    > > >
    > > > " Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
    > > corrupt:
    > > > <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
    > > > Please re-install a copy of the above file"
    > > >
    > > > I've looked at the XP CD but can't find that file...anyone know if it
    > > should
    > > > be on the XP CD?
    > > >
    > > > Alternatively if anyone could send me a copy of the file ntoskrnl.exe
    > I'd
    > > be
    > > > most grateful.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Pete
    > > ----------------------------
    > > Ah, - found it now on the XP CD - now I have copied that
    > > file - well file ntoskrnl.ex_ (not sure if that makes a difference .ex_
    > > instead of .exe) onto floppy, then when I try to boot my XP machine and
    > get
    > > the message previously referred to about the missing or corrupt file I
    > > insert the floppy...however now get the message -
    > > "non-system disk or disk error
    > > replace and press any key when ready"
    > >
    > > Unfortunately I don't have back up or rescue floppies....and of course
    > can't
    > > use the CD to boot up.
    > >
    > > Any help/advice in getting the darned machine working ok again would be
    > > appreciated.
    > > Thanks,
    > > Pete
    -----------------
    Thanks very much. Now have changed things so it will boot from the CD....
    ......and opened the Windows XP Home Edition Setup and took the middle option
    i.e. "Repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R"

    ............and got to adding bootcfg /rebuild after the prompt c:\windows>

    received message to say its scanning all discs for windows installations
    received message to say the windows scan was successful
    then add installation boot list where the options are y/n/all so I put in y

    then I ran into difficulties...

    received message to say Enter Load Identifier: I tried Enter
    then received message to say Enter OS Load Options: I tried Enter...but no
    go...just reverted to the Windows prompt c:\windows>

    Any ideas how I find out what to type in at Load Identifier and OS Load
    Options?
    Thanks,
    Pete

    Pete Stockdale Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Pete,

    For Load identifier, it's whatever you want to appear on the menu, try
    "WinXP". You shouldn't have to put anything in for the options. Once
    completed, remove the CD and restart the system normally.

    But your original problem wasn't related to the boot configuration, it was a
    problem with ntoskrnl.exe, why did you think that rebuilding the boot files
    would fix this? You should expand the file from the I386 folder on the CD to
    the %windir%\system32 folder.

    --

    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rickmvps.org> wrote in message
    > > Hi Pete,
    > >
    > > Why can't you use the CD to boot up?
    > >
    > > That file needs to be expanded from the command prompt (not simply
    > copied).
    > > This is most easily done from the Recovery Console by booting the WinXP
    > CD.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,
    > >
    > > Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
    > > [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/[/url]
    > > Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    > > [url]www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone[/url]
    > > Win98 Help - [url]www.rickrogers.org[/url]
    > >
    > > "Pete Stockdale" <petepjcactus.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Pete Stockdale" <petepjcactus.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

    > > > corrupt:

    > > > should

    > > I'd
    > > > be

    > > > ----------------------------
    > > > Ah, - found it now on the XP CD - now I have copied that
    > > > file - well file ntoskrnl.ex_ (not sure if that makes a difference
    ..ex_
    > > > instead of .exe) onto floppy, then when I try to boot my XP machine
    and
    > > get
    > > > the message previously referred to about the missing or corrupt file I
    > > > insert the floppy...however now get the message -
    > > > "non-system disk or disk error
    > > > replace and press any key when ready"
    > > >
    > > > Unfortunately I don't have back up or rescue floppies....and of course
    > > can't
    > > > use the CD to boot up.
    > > >
    > > > Any help/advice in getting the darned machine working ok again would
    be
    > > > appreciated.
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Pete
    > -----------------
    > Thanks very much. Now have changed things so it will boot from the CD....
    > .....and opened the Windows XP Home Edition Setup and took the middle
    option
    > i.e. "Repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press
    R"

    > ...........and got to adding bootcfg /rebuild after the prompt c:\windows>
    >
    > received message to say its scanning all discs for windows installations
    > received message to say the windows scan was successful
    > then add installation boot list where the options are y/n/all so I put in
    >
    > then I ran into difficulties...
    >
    > received message to say Enter Load Identifier: I tried Enter
    > then received message to say Enter OS Load Options: I tried Enter...but no
    > go...just reverted to the Windows prompt c:\windows>
    >
    > Any ideas how I find out what to type in at Load Identifier and OS Load
    > Options?
    > Thanks,
    > Pete

    Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers Guest

  6. #6

    -------------------
    >You should expand the file from the I386 folder on the CD to
    > the %windir%\system32 folder.
    But how do I do that?....I know I have the file on the Win XP CD and also I
    have another stand alone copy of the file on a CD-RW but don't seem to be
    able to see how I transfer it to the system32\ folder?
    Thanks,
    Pete

    Pete Stockdale Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Pete,

    From the command prompt:

    C:\>expand -r X:\I386\ntoskrnl.exe %windir%\system32

    Where X is whatever letter is assigned your CD drive, change it accordingly.

    --

> [...]
    > in
    > > >
    > > > then I ran into difficulties...
    > > >
    > > > received message to say Enter Load Identifier: I tried Enter
    > > > then received message to say Enter OS Load Options: I tried
    Enter...but
    > no
    > > > go...just reverted to the Windows prompt c:\windows>
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas how I find out what to type in at Load Identifier and OS
    Load
    > > > Options?
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Pete
    > -------------------
    > >You should expand the file from the I386 folder on the CD to
    > > the %windir%\system32 folder.
    >
    > But how do I do that?....I know I have the file on the Win XP CD and also
    > have another stand alone copy of the file on a CD-RW but don't seem to be
    > able to see how I transfer it to the system32\ folder?

    Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers Guest

  8. #8

    > Hi Pete,
    >
    > From the command prompt:
    >
    > C:\>expand -r X:\I386\ntoskrnl.exe %windir%\system32
    >
    > Where X is whatever letter is assigned your CD drive, change it
    accordingly.

    > --
    > Best of Luck,
    >
    > Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
    > [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/[/url]
    > Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    > [url]www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone[/url]
    > Win98 Help - [url]www.rickrogers.org[/url]
    >
    > "Pete Stockdale" <petepjcactus.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rickmvps.org> wrote in message
    > > > Hi Pete,
    > > >
    > > > For Load identifier, it's whatever you want to appear on the menu, try
    > > > "WinXP". You shouldn't have to put anything in for the options. Once
    > > > completed, remove the CD and restart the system normally.
    > > >
    > > > But your original problem wasn't related to the boot configuration, it
    > was
    > > > problem with ntoskrnl.exe, why did you think that rebuilding the boot
    > > files
    > > > would fix this? You should expand the file from the I386 folder on the
    > CD
    > > > the %windir%\system32 folder.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Best of Luck,
    > > >
    > > > Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Win9x
    > > > [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/[/url]
    > > > Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    > > > [url]www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone[/url]
    > > > Win98 Help - [url]www.rickrogers.org[/url]
    > > >
    > > > "Pete Stockdale" <petepjcactus.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

    > > WinXP

    > or

    > if
    > > > it

    > > > ntoskrnl.exe

    > > > .ex_
    > machine
    > > > and
    > file

    > > course

    > would
    > > > be
    > > CD....
    > > > option
    > press
    > > > R"

    > > c:\windows>

    > installations
    > > in

    > Enter...but
    > > no

    > Load
    > > -------------------
    > > >You should expand the file from the I386 folder on the CD to
    > > > the %windir%\system32 folder.
    > >
    > > But how do I do that?....I know I have the file on the Win XP CD and
    also
    > > have another stand alone copy of the file on a CD-RW but don't seem to
    be
    > > able to see how I transfer it to the system32\ folder?
    > > Thanks,
    > > Pete
    ----------------------------
    Thanks again for advice. However ref?
    >From the command prompt:
    > C:\>expand -r X:\I386\ntoskrnl.exe %windir%\system32
    Tried that with the -r and get The parameter is not valid

    Tried without the -r and get Can't find file or directiry specified

    Becomng punch drunk...any further advice would be welcome.
    Thanks again,
    Pete

    Pete Stockdale Guest

  9. #9

    > Thanks again for advice. However ref?
    >
    > >From the command prompt:
    > > C:\>expand -r X:\I386\ntoskrnl.exe %windir%\system32
    It's a typo. Use -f.

    Chuck Guest