Professional Web Applications Themes

Help needed! - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello! First of all I must say that I'm NEW linux user. I installed it today :) Anyway, I got really interested in this system, and I know I have a lot to learn. But my problem is that I cannot connect to inet through my modem. Modem is HCF (diamond supra series) conexant modem. I have suse 9pro distribution. In yast it cannot identify my modem. I also have win on same hdd so I went around and as I can see many ppl share the same problem. Some of them even found the solution, but as I'm new ...

  1. #1

    Default Help needed!

    Hello!
    First of all I must say that I'm NEW linux user. I installed it today :)
    Anyway, I got really interested in this system, and I know I have a lot to
    learn. But my problem is that I cannot connect to inet through my modem.
    Modem is HCF (diamond supra series) conexant modem. I have suse 9pro
    distribution. In yast it cannot identify my modem. I also have win on same
    hdd so I went around and as I can see many ppl share the same problem. Some
    of them even found the solution, but as I'm new user, I would really need
    someones help (a little bit detailed) on how to instal and configure modem!I
    would appreciate it very much!
    Another question: how can i read data from my win partitions under linux?
    Thank you!

    Damir

    Damir Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help needed!

    In article <bponkk$s31$srce.hr>, Damir A. wrote:
    Try http://www.linmodems.com
    http://www.linuxant.com/drivers

    John Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the links, although I still havent found the answer...
    Could anyone else help?
    I would also need to read downloaded files stored on win partition under
    linux,but how :( Sorry, for stupid iritating questions, but I would relly
    like to learn some more about the system and I can't do it without internet
    access!
    Regards
    Damir
    "John Doe" <com> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    to [/ref]
    same [/ref]
    Some [/ref]
    need [/ref]
    modem!I [/ref]
    linux?
    > Try http://www.linmodems.com
    > http://www.linuxant.com/drivers
    >[/ref]

    Damir Guest

  4. #4

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 00:04:05 +0100, Damir A. <com>:
    > > Try http://www.linmodems.com
    > > http://www.linuxant.com/drivers[/ref]
    >
    > Thanks for the links, although I still havent found the answer...
    > Could anyone else help?[/ref]

    Please don't top-post.

    What he meant is, you have a Winmodem, not a modem. Go read up on the
    problem, and possible solution, at those websites.

    login as root and add "/dev/hda1 /windows/C vfat defaults 0 0" to
    /etc/fstab

    Now log out of root. In your user acct, you can now do "mount
    /dev/hda1", and your Windows drive will be at /windows/C

    Note: I don't know where your Windows is, nor what type of filesystem
    it is. You also need /windows/C to exist before you do this.

    There's lots of doentation out there you can read to learn more.
    See http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/categories.html

    (*) http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling
    - - http://learn.to/quote (Deutsch) http://quote.6x.to (Eng.)
    Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/spammers.html
    s. Guest

  5. #5

    [top posted message reordered]

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:04:05 -0500, Damir A. wrote:
     [/ref]
    > to [/ref]
    > same [/ref]
    > Some [/ref]
    > need [/ref]
    > modem!I [/ref]
    > linux?
    >> Try http://www.linmodems.com
    >> http://www.linuxant.com/drivers
    >>

    >>[/ref]
    > Thanks for the links, although I still havent found the answer... Could
    > anyone else help?
    > I would also need to read downloaded files stored on win partition under
    > linux,but how :( Sorry, for stupid iritating questions, but I would
    > relly like to learn some more about the system and I can't do it without
    > internet access!
    > Regards
    > Damir[/ref]

    For using files under Linux, that are stored on DOS/Win formatted
    partitions, you should read about "mtools":

    $ man mtools

    .... if it is installed on your Linux system, else you might want to google
    for it.

    [Modem is HCF (diamond supra series) conexant modem. ] -- Sounds nice.
    What is it? I assume for now this is a software based 56k dial-up modem.

    [I have suse 9pro distribution. ] -- Thanks for the detail, - it makes
    your question better. ...Read that SuSE is a very good distro, but
    haven't been able to try it myself, yet. ...Doubt that your issue is
    related to the distro.

    [In yast it cannot identify my modem. ] -- Understand this is probably
    just a typo, but alas, makes no sense to me. If this is an example of
    your customary attention to detail, maybe you shouldn't have considered
    attempting to use a *nix system. Sorry if that sounds harsh; you can
    scoff at the words, but the SuSE9Pro will probably not understand typos
    any better than I do. Reality !!

    The reason that you cannot use your modem under Linux (yet) is that it is
    a "software modem" (probably), and the people who made and sold that modem
    (which is really only "part of a modem") made software that works with
    Microsoft software only. (Maybe you should check with the manufacturer or
    seller and ask if they have software drivers for that modem. And if not,
    Why Not ?? --_NOT_ an idle question.) I understand that there are Linux
    solutions to virtually all of these modem issues, by now - if you look for
    them. They all probably take some reading and understanding and a little
    amount of careful work to get them going, - but they will virtually all
    work, if it is worth your time and interest to do them.

    Not to pan your hardware at all (lots of us use old, so-called "obsolete"
    hardware and make it work very well for us, thank you), but it sometimes
    takes more time and work to use what you already have, and I'm not saying
    you shouldn't try, if you want to. One step up from a "software modem" is
    a "real modem", sometimes called a "hardware modem", or a
    "controller-based modem". I have a modem of this type (controller-based,
    dial-up) that I use as an alternative and back-up to my regular ISP
    connection. When you use a dial-up modem of any sort, you still need
    software and set-up, and there are many alternatives available. I have
    found good results with a somewhat intelligent dialer and set-up program
    (free) known as wvdial.

    Then, one step beyond that: many users today do not use and maybe have
    never used dial-up, and wouldn't know any advice to give you on it. And
    that would be because of the growing use of broadband (cable, dsl, etc.)
    connections, that are always on, and that avoid many of the complexities
    of dial-up, albeit at a higher monthly cost. I have that connection,
    which is connected from a company modem via an Ethernet cable to an
    Ethernet card in my box. It is quite simple to work, but even at that,
    there is software that detects the cards, and that drives the cards, and
    that makes the connection to the ISP. It's all transparent, and it is the
    norm for most new set-ups. I understand that many do not have broadband,
    and that is not my point. I'm just saying that you need to select and use
    from the very extensive and fine selection of (free and reliable) software
    that is available, and make it work for the hardware and ISP that you have
    or that you get. After that it should be very simple and easy. There
    really probably aren't too, too, very many serious users who are using
    software modems under Linux anymore, if they have any other choices at
    all. But the information and software is almost certainly there for your
    issue, should you choose to use it. Read the links that were given to
    you. The answers to your questions are almost certainly there, if they
    are anywhere.

    Best wishes.
    Newsbox Guest

  6. #6

    In article <com>, John Doe wrote:
    > Try http://www.linmodems.com
    > http://www.linuxant.com/drivers
    >[/ref]

    Since you are just starting out, I'd highly reccomend using Mandrake.
    THeres a good likelyhood that it should work "out of the box"

    -jd
    John Guest

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Mark Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. #8

    With regard to accessing your Windows files from Linux, you use the 'mount'
    command to make your Windows partition accessible from the Linux
    filesystem. This example might point you in the right direction:

    Open a terminal and enter:

    mkdir /mnt/win (This creates a new directory to be uesd as a 'mountpoint'
    for the windows filesystem, only do this once)

    mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win (This mounts the Windows partition at your
    new mountpoint.)

    Now if you look at the files in /mnt/win, you should see the files on your
    Windows C: drive.

    This example assumes that Windows is installed on the first partition of
    your first (or only) IDE hard drive, and that the filesystem is FAT32 (ie.
    NOT NTFS).

    This process can be fully automated at boot time by editing your /etc/fstab
    file appropriately, but that is beyond the scope of this post.

    This is a basic outline of the process required, but you will probably need
    to do more research to fully understand all this, so search the net for
    more info, or repost here when you need to... hang in there, it all seems a
    bit overwhelming at first, but when it all starts to make sense you'll be
    glad you made the effort (and yeah, you'll probably have to invest a fair
    amount of time too... :)

    Good luck,

    Bartman

    John Doe wrote:

    > Try http://www.linmodems.com
    > http://www.linuxant.com/drivers[/ref]

    Bartman Guest

  9. #9

    Take a look at this site:

    http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/

    It appears to have a lot of info and tools for your brand of modem. First
    thing to do might be run the command 'lspci' in a terminal and check that
    your modem appears in the list of pci devices displayed. If so, then you
    should be able to get the thing operating with a bit of work, if not then
    you have a real problem, but that is unlikely to happen. Once you know the
    exact modem type in your box, this will give some direction as to what your
    next course of action will be (the site above will probably be useful
    here).

    Note, I am not a SuSE user, but it may be possible that you will get the
    modem to be useable, even though yast can't see it. What ppp front end (ie.
    internet dialer) will you be using? I use kppp, and have found it to be
    very good. Under Setup -> Modem in kppp is a 'Query Modem' button. If you
    can get this to work, then you're just about there.

    If all else fails, you could go here:

    http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

    and work through this (excellent) guide to getting ppp working. It is VERY
    thorough, and, several years ago, gave me my first successful internet
    connection under Linux.

    Bartman

    Damir A. wrote:
     [/ref]