Professional Web Applications Themes

Help Needed: Passing variables securely to other ASPX pages - ASP.NET Security

The problem that we are experiencing is simple: We want to pass certain parameters from a page with several server controls to another page. We want to do this in a dotnet compliant manner, but we can't seem to find a good and clean solution anywhere. The options we looked into are as follows. Comments following the options are why we did not want to go with them: 1-) Use a query string - Too limited (formats it can carry etc.) - Easy to manipulate 2-) Use Server.Transfer - Too messy (Browser does not see the URL change, relative paths ...

  1. #1

    Default Help Needed: Passing variables securely to other ASPX pages

    The problem that we are experiencing is simple:

    We want to pass certain parameters from a page with several server
    controls to another page.

    We want to do this in a dotnet compliant manner, but we can't seem to
    find a good and clean solution anywhere.

    The options we looked into are as follows. Comments following the
    options are why we did not want to go with them:

    1-) Use a query string
    - Too limited (formats it can carry etc.)
    - Easy to manipulate

    2-) Use Server.Transfer
    - Too messy (Browser does not see the URL change, relative paths
    fail)
    - Certain issues associated with server.transfer

    3-) Use session variables
    - Take up memory and resources longer than needed
    - The parameters passed are only associated with that call and not
    the whole session!

    4-) Dynamically write out client side script to submit form
    - Not a webcontrol
    - To much spaghetti code given the way that we are developing the
    rest of our system

    If anyone has a clean(er) solution to pass variables from a page to
    the next please let me know!!!!

    Thanks,

    Doruk
    Doruk Guest

  2. #2

    You could create a base page class that all your pages inherit from.
    This base class could contain the "spaghetti code" involved with filling
    hidden fields & such. That way the messy stuff is all tucked away.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    "Doruk" <doruktoz.net> wrote in message
    news:220db56b.0311110945.3ef885d0posting.google.c om...
    > The problem that we are experiencing is simple:
    >
    > We want to pass certain parameters from a page with several server
    > controls to another page.
    >
    > We want to do this in a dotnet compliant manner, but we can't seem to
    > find a good and clean solution anywhere.
    >
    > The options we looked into are as follows. Comments following the
    > options are why we did not want to go with them:
    >
    > 1-) Use a query string
    > - Too limited (formats it can carry etc.)
    > - Easy to manipulate
    >
    > 2-) Use Server.Transfer
    > - Too messy (Browser does not see the URL change, relative paths
    > fail)
    > - Certain issues associated with server.transfer
    >
    > 3-) Use session variables
    > - Take up memory and resources longer than needed
    > - The parameters passed are only associated with that call and not
    > the whole session!
    >
    > 4-) Dynamically write out client side script to submit form
    > - Not a webcontrol
    > - To much spaghetti code given the way that we are developing the
    > rest of our system
    >
    > If anyone has a clean(er) solution to pass variables from a page to
    > the next please let me know!!!!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Doruk

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD] Guest

  3. #3

    look at ViewState

    "Doruk" <doruktoz.net> wrote in message
    news:220db56b.0311110945.3ef885d0posting.google.c om...
    > The problem that we are experiencing is simple:
    >
    > We want to pass certain parameters from a page with several server
    > controls to another page.
    >
    > We want to do this in a dotnet compliant manner, but we can't seem to
    > find a good and clean solution anywhere.
    >
    > The options we looked into are as follows. Comments following the
    > options are why we did not want to go with them:
    >
    > 1-) Use a query string
    > - Too limited (formats it can carry etc.)
    > - Easy to manipulate
    >
    > 2-) Use Server.Transfer
    > - Too messy (Browser does not see the URL change, relative paths
    > fail)
    > - Certain issues associated with server.transfer
    >
    > 3-) Use session variables
    > - Take up memory and resources longer than needed
    > - The parameters passed are only associated with that call and not
    > the whole session!
    >
    > 4-) Dynamically write out client side script to submit form
    > - Not a webcontrol
    > - To much spaghetti code given the way that we are developing the
    > rest of our system
    >
    > If anyone has a clean(er) solution to pass variables from a page to
    > the next please let me know!!!!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Doruk

    bruce barker Guest

  4. #4

    ViewState works only for a single page. It cannot be shared among pages.
    Not a viable solution.

    bruce barker wrote:
    > look at ViewState
    >

    > "Doruk" <doruktoz.net> wrote in message
    > news:220db56b.0311110945.3ef885d0posting.google.c om...
    >
    >>The problem that we are experiencing is simple:
    >>
    >>We want to pass certain parameters from a page with several server
    >>controls to another page.
    >>
    >>We want to do this in a dotnet compliant manner, but we can't seem to
    >>find a good and clean solution anywhere.
    >>
    >>The options we looked into are as follows. Comments following the
    >>options are why we did not want to go with them:
    >>
    >>1-) Use a query string
    >> - Too limited (formats it can carry etc.)
    >> - Easy to manipulate
    >>
    >>2-) Use Server.Transfer
    >> - Too messy (Browser does not see the URL change, relative paths
    >>fail)
    >> - Certain issues associated with server.transfer
    >>
    >>3-) Use session variables
    >> - Take up memory and resources longer than needed
    >> - The parameters passed are only associated with that call and not
    >>the whole session!
    >>
    >>4-) Dynamically write out client side script to submit form
    >> - Not a webcontrol
    >> - To much spaghetti code given the way that we are developing the
    >>rest of our system
    >>
    >>If anyone has a clean(er) solution to pass variables from a page to
    >>the next please let me know!!!!
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Doruk

    Polux Guest