Professional Web Applications Themes

Help needed with configuring OLE-DB connection string - ASP Database

I'm using the examples set out at aspfaq.com to create an OLEDB connection (instead of using a DSN you'll be glad to hear!!). The problem is I keep getting the following error :- a.. Error Type: Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A01AD) ActiveX component can't create object: 'ADODB.Connection' My connection include looks like this :- <% Dim objConn, cst set objConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") cst = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=\server\data\database.mdb;" & _ "Jet OLEDB:System Database=\server\data\workgroup.mdw" objConn.open cst, "AdminUser", "password" %> I've ensured that the relevant permissions are set up correctly and that the IUSR account is able to access the directory where the data ...

  1. #1

    Default Help needed with configuring OLE-DB connection string

    I'm using the examples set out at aspfaq.com to create an OLEDB connection (instead of using a DSN you'll be glad to hear!!). The problem is I keep getting the following error :-

    a.. Error Type:
    Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A01AD)
    ActiveX component can't create object: 'ADODB.Connection'

    My connection include looks like this :-

    <%
    Dim objConn, cst
    set objConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    cst = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=\\server\data\database.mdb;" & _
    "Jet OLEDB:System Database=\\server\data\workgroup.mdw"
    objConn.open cst, "AdminUser", "password"
    %>

    I've ensured that the relevant permissions are set up correctly and that the IUSR account is able to access the directory where the data is stored. Help appreciated.
    Mystery Guest

  2. #2

    My PLAIN TEXT reply is below:

    How did you give your local IUSR account permissions to the data share on
    \\server?

    Ray at work

    "Mystery" <mysterybarrysworld.com> wrote in message
[...]

    Ray at Guest

  3. #3

    Hey Ray - take a chill-pill man, no need to get heavy with the big type !!
    :-)

    Everythings cool now that I've read the MS KB 201740 article. I didn't
    realise that the local IUSR accounts had to be given permission to the ado
    directory as well !! But to answer your question, on the \\server machine I
    went to the Computer Manager and added the IIS IUSR account (after switching
    off allowing IIS to manager the password automatically) from the web server.

    It's not working 100% yet, as I'm still getting the dreaded

    Error Type:
    Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
    The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file
    '\\server\data\database.mdb'. It is already opened exclusively by another
    user, or you need permission to view its data.

    But I'm sure I've read somewhere how to get rid of this one as well. It's
    most probably yet another permissions bit of rubbish that I'v also forgotten
    to do !! :-)

    Peace !

    > My PLAIN TEXT reply is below:
    >
    > How did you give your local IUSR account permissions to the data share on
    > \\server?
    >
    > Ray at work
    >
    > "Mystery" <mysterybarrysworld.com> wrote in message
    > I'm using the examples set out at aspfaq.com to create an OLEDB connection
    > (instead of using a DSN you'll be glad to hear!!). The problem is I keep
    > getting the following error :-
    >
    > Error Type:
    > Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A01AD)
    > ActiveX component can't create object: 'ADODB.Connection'
    >
    > My connection include looks like this :-
    >
    > <%
    > Dim objConn, cst
    > set objConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > cst = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data
    > Source=\\server\data\database.mdb;" & _
    > "Jet OLEDB:System Database=\\server\data\workgroup.mdw"
    > objConn.open cst, "AdminUser", "password"
    > %>
    >
    > I've ensured that the relevant permissions are set up correctly and that
    the
    > IUSR account is able to access the directory where the data is stored.
    Help
    > appreciated.

    Mystery Guest

  4. #4

    > Everythings cool now that I've read the MS KB 201740 article. I didn't
    > realise that the local IUSR accounts had to be given permission to the ado
    > directory as well !! But to answer your question, on the \\server machine
    > went to the Computer Manager and added the IIS IUSR account (after
    switching
    > off allowing IIS to manager the password automatically) from the web
    server.

    > It's not working 100% yet, as I'm still getting the dreaded
    >
    > Error Type:
    > Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
    > The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file
    > '\\server\data\database.mdb'. It is already opened exclusively by another
    > user, or you need permission to view its data.

    Take a look at the "Synchronizing the IUSR_machine accounts" part on this
    page.
    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2168[/url]

    You'll have to do that if you're storing the DB on another server. Either
    that, or set IIS to use a domain account for the page, directory, or site
    that connects to the database and give that domain account NTFS and share
    permissions to that share on the server.

    Ray at work

    Ray at Guest

  5. #5

    Ray - thanks for the update. I'm gonna sound stupid here, but how would I
    go about telling IIS to use a domain account like you suggested? I need to
    switch off the anon IIS account as I want to stop non-authenticated people
    accessing the web site. Is this possible ??

    TIA

    > "Mystery" <mysterybarrysworld.com> wrote in message
    >

    > > Everythings cool now that I've read the MS KB 201740 article. I didn't
    > > realise that the local IUSR accounts had to be given permission to the
    ado
    > > directory as well !! But to answer your question, on the \\server
    machine
    > > went to the Computer Manager and added the IIS IUSR account (after
    > switching
    > > off allowing IIS to manager the password automatically) from the web
    > server.
    > >
    > > It's not working 100% yet, as I'm still getting the dreaded
    > >
    > > Error Type:
    > > Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
    > > The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file
    > > '\\server\data\database.mdb'. It is already opened exclusively by
    another
    > > user, or you need permission to view its data.
    > >

    > Take a look at the "Synchronizing the IUSR_machine accounts" part on this
    > page.
    > [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2168[/url]
    >
    > You'll have to do that if you're storing the DB on another server. Either
    > that, or set IIS to use a domain account for the page, directory, or site
    > that connects to the database and give that domain account NTFS and share
    > permissions to that share on the server.
    >
    > Ray at work

    Mystery Guest

  6. #6

    In IIS, you pull up the properties of the site, directory, or whatever, go
    to the security tab, and configure the anonymous setup. Change the user
    account MACHINE\IUSR_MACHINE to DOMAIN\username.

    > Ray - thanks for the update. I'm gonna sound stupid here, but how would I
    > go about telling IIS to use a domain account like you suggested? I need
    > switch off the anon IIS account as I want to stop non-authenticated people
    > accessing the web site. Is this possible ??
    >
    > TIA

    Ray at Guest