Professional Web Applications Themes

Help needed with error message - Catalog B-tree - Mac Applications & Software

Hi Help needed with error message - Catalog B-tree I am based in Colchester, England. Can anyone please help me with the following error when I run Norton Diskdoctor on my G3 Imac - OS 9.0? The error message reads : A major error was found in a file record the Catalog B-tree Node 642, record 3 "Fetch Cache" has an incorrect extent lenght. The Catalog B-tree is a data structure which keeps tracks of where files are stored on your disk. (10,7,42) I have tried fixing this fixing with Norton System 2.00 but no joy. Any suggestions anyone? Many ...

  1. #1

    Default Help needed with error message - Catalog B-tree

    Hi

    Help needed with error message - Catalog B-tree

    I am based in Colchester, England.

    Can anyone please help me with the following error when I run Norton
    Diskdoctor on my G3 Imac - OS 9.0?

    The error message reads :

    A major error was found in a file record the Catalog B-tree
    Node 642, record 3
    "Fetch Cache" has an incorrect extent lenght.
    The Catalog B-tree is a data structure which keeps tracks of where files are
    stored on your disk.
    (10,7,42)

    I have tried fixing this fixing with Norton System 2.00 but no joy.

    Any suggestions anyone?

    Many thanks

    P Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help needed with error message - Catalog B-tree

    >Help needed with error message - Catalog B-tree

    The Catalog B-tree is a special data structure that lets your computer keep
    track of where your files are stored on your disk. If it becomes damaged, you
    can lose files, or even lose the ability to boot your computer, because your
    compute can't find the files stored on your disk.

    This means you have a file on your computer called "Fetch Cache," and your
    computer can not properly figure out where that file is stored.

    Fetch Cache belongs to the FTP program called Fetch.

    I suggest you delete this file (Fetch will create it again), and try fixing the
    problem again.

    Still no dice? then get rid of Norton Systemworks (it's complete crap anyway)
    and invest in a disk repair program that actually works, like Alsoft
    DiskWarrior.

    As an aside, it looks like you have your news reader program set to post
    messages to newsgroups in HTML format, not text format. please post to
    newsgroups in text format.

    Hope that helps...

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  3. #3

    In <BB67E8BD.1EE6%com> P Duggan wrote:

    You have a major problem with your hard drive. If you can't fix it with
    Disk Utility. DiskWarrior, or a modern version of Norton, your only
    alternative is to back everything up and reformat the drive. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt
    REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition!

  4. #4

    In article <BB67E8BD.1EE6%com>, P Duggan
    <com> wrote:

    If Disk Warrior can't fix it, you will likely need to replace the
    drive.

    Cathy

    --
    "there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

    C.Stevenson, M.D.
    net
    Cathy Guest

  5. #5

    In article <200820031523518554%net>,
    Cathy Stevenson <net> wrote:

    >If Disk Warrior can't fix it, you will likely need to replace the
    >drive.[/ref]

    The path I would take is as follows:

    (1) Attempt to patch (fix) the catalog using the latest version
    of Norton Disk Doctor. I've had a lot of of success, but
    NDD is not the be all and end all I wish it were.

    (2) Use the latest version of DiskWarrior to read through the
    disk and build a replacement directory (catalog). I've had
    the greatest success, even with horridly mangles
    directories, using DiskWarrior.

    (3) If DiskWarrior cannot help you, you choices are limited.
    Reformatting the disk, thoroughly testing it for hard
    faults, then restoring from backups is one. Paying for
    expensive data recovery services is another.

    -Steve Makohin | Reply to com
    | (hotmail acct is spam catcher)
    Steve Guest

  6. #6

    In article <BB67E8BD.1EE6%com>, P Duggan
    <com> wrote:

    DiskWarrior.

    Zeph Guest