Professional Web Applications Themes

Help on correcting Barrel distortion - Adobe Photoshop Elements

While my G3 is fine for most things, the lens (as is typical of zoom lenses, particularly on compacts) does have quite noticeable barrel distortion at extreme wideangle (and less extreme pincushion at full zoom) On architectural shots I prefer my walls straight to bendy! Anyone know of a cheap (free if possible!) Mac OSX solution? A trick in Elements, or a plug-in- a plug in that actually runs in Elements in classic mode would be OK. (Panotools can do it, but it crashes Elements and the system in Classic mode, and I hate to reboot into OS9 just to ...

  1. #1

    Default Help on correcting Barrel distortion

    While my G3 is fine for most things, the lens (as is typical of zoom lenses, particularly on compacts) does have quite noticeable barrel distortion at extreme wideangle (and less extreme pincushion at full zoom)

    On architectural shots I prefer my walls straight to bendy!

    Anyone know of a cheap (free if possible!) Mac OSX solution? A trick in Elements, or a plug-in- a plug in that actually runs in Elements in classic mode would be OK.

    (Panotools can do it, but it crashes Elements and the system in Classic mode, and I hate to reboot into OS9 just to fix one picture!)
    Susan S
    Susan S. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help on correcting Barrel distortion

    Susan,

    Other than Panotools, I don't know of any free plugins but you can do a
    quick and dirty job using the spherize filter.

    1st, increase the canvas size by about 50% in both directions (make sure the
    anchor point is the center box). There is a "percent" entry in the dropdown
    that makes it easy.

    2nd, filter->distort-spherize

    Set mode to normal and adjust the amount to correct the distortion -- plus
    to correct pincussion, negative to correct barrel. The amount will depend
    on your lens and the zoom setting but it shouldn't be too large.

    3rd, crop to desired size.

    You may need to adjust the canvas resize percentage to move the correction
    to the corners of the image or to fine tune the effect. Click on the "-" in
    the spherize dialog to zoom out enough to see the whole photo.

    It's not perfect by any means but it does have the advantage of being free.
    Try it and see if it works well enough for your purpose.

    Bob

    RobertHJones Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Bob - that's a suggestion I hadn't seen. I'll give it a try.
    Susan S
    Susan S. Guest

  4. #4

    Susan, lots of references in Google ('correcting barrel distortion with
    Photoshop') - here's one that looks pretty simple:

    [url]http://www.bythom.com/distortion.htm[/url]

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  5. #5

    and another...

    [url]http://www.larry-bolch.com/perspective/photoshop.htm[/url]

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  6. #6

    Pete,

    You're right. There's one image just like that on the website of a competitive product of Elements. They claim that the perspective correction does wonders, but when you look at the picture, it's odd in some way.

    Ray
    Raymond Robillard Guest

  7. #7

    Susan,

    Panotools has a reputation for being crash prone so it's not just you. I
    tried it a while ago and it crashed my system so I don't use it. That was
    under Windows 98, I'm using XP now but haven't tried it again and I haven't
    checked to see if there's a newer version out. I hadn't heard of PTLens.
    Maybe I should take another look at Panotools.

    I see Chuck has been busy! Lot's of helpful people here! His first
    reference is basically the same technique as what I gave only they use a
    smaller increase in the canvas size. That amount (25%) doesn't come close
    to reaching the corners of my photos and doesn't do a good job of matching
    the curvature. I'm lucky, my camera lens doesn't show much distortion and
    I've been able to correct it fairly well with that technique using 50% and
    settings in the -5 to +5% range. Distortion varies with focal length but
    it's different for each lens design. The old caveat applies: your milage
    may vary.

    The LensDoc program from Andromeda mentioned in Chuck's second post works
    well but it's a bit pricey, around $90 US if I remember correctly. Too rich
    for my budget.

    Thanks for the reference to PTLens.

    Bob

    RobertHJones Guest

  8. #8

    Susan, do you have a hyperlink for PTLens? Not having much luck locating
    it...

    Thanks, Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest