Professional Web Applications Themes

HELP! OSX Kernel Panics, may be associated with browsing web, maybe ebay - Mac Applications & Software

I've had a G4 iMac for maybe 9 months. In the past month I've had a LOT of kernel panics in OSX.1.5. I haven't upgraded to 10.2 yet. It seems to happen when I'm browsing ebay, but I don't know if that's a factor or not. I've tried disconnecting hardware devices or running netscape vs. internet explorer and it has no effect. I've bought Norton Utilities and it finds problems with the disk, but claims it fixes them. Then I boot back to the disk and a little while later -- crash. It's happening more and more often. It's up ...

  1. #1

    Default HELP! OSX Kernel Panics, may be associated with browsing web, maybe ebay

    I've had a G4 iMac for maybe 9 months. In the past month I've had a
    LOT of kernel panics in OSX.1.5. I haven't upgraded to 10.2 yet. It
    seems to happen when I'm browsing ebay, but I don't know if that's a
    factor or not. I've tried disconnecting hardware devices or running
    netscape vs. internet explorer and it has no effect.

    I've bought Norton Utilities and it finds problems with the disk, but
    claims it fixes them. Then I boot back to the disk and a little while
    later -- crash. It's happening more and more often. It's up to several
    times in a day. I've used UNIX all my life and I have never even SEEN
    a kernel panic before. What is Apple doing that makes this UNIX so
    unstable? What the heck can I do to keep this from happening? Is it
    software? Would upgrading the OS help? Is it hardware? Should I return
    it to Apple for repair?

    HELP!
    Dave Guest

  2. #2

    On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:33:29 -0400, Dave Griffin wrote
    (in message <google.com>):

    Sounds like a hardware problem. When I had X.1 I've never had any kernel
    panics, and neither now with X.2.

    Your experience is not typical. Try disconnecting everything other than
    the internet connection. Run persmission repair. Run norton (although I
    don't turst norton a bit, DiskWarrior is my tool of choice for hard
    drive stuff) If you can, re-seat the memory sticks, or remove extra
    memory if you have it. A last resort would be to reinstall the system.

    If all that does not help fix the problem, then you have something wrong
    with motherboard or something and you need to take it in for repair.

    --
    J Brady

    Jonathan Guest

  3. #3

    Jonathan Brady wrote:

    The latest news is that Norton may exacerbate problems on
    G4 HDs it tries to repair.
    I can't confirm, but I recall Jorg of Diskwarrior
    warning about Norton since OS 8.
    George Guest

  4. #4

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Dave Griffin) wrote:

    in my experience, with os x, frequent kernel panics are a sign of failing
    hardware. if you've wiped the disk clean and reinstalled the system and are
    still getting panics, I would suspect hardware problems.
    sam Guest

  5. #5

    In article <w6%3b.305046$Ho3.43152sccrnsc03>,
    sam grey <com> wrote:

    > in my experience, with os x, frequent kernel panics are a sign of failing
    > hardware. if you've wiped the disk clean and reinstalled the system and are
    > still getting panics, I would suspect hardware problems.[/ref]

    I concur. I had a bad mouse on mine confirmed with disection of the
    mouse cable found a wire making and breaking as I moved the mouse
    around.

    dj
    --

    Guest

  6. #6

    What is permission repair (I assume that's what you meant)? I have 1GB
    of memory, but I didn't install it. I'm not really good with hardware,
    do you think I should bring it into someone? Does this diskwarrior
    program diagnose hardware problems?

    Jonathan Brady <myfmail.com> wrote in message news:<newsguy.com>...

    > Sounds like a hardware problem. When I had X.1 I've never had any kernel
    > panics, and neither now with X.2.
    >
    > Your experience is not typical. Try disconnecting everything other than
    > the internet connection. Run persmission repair. Run norton (although I
    > don't turst norton a bit, DiskWarrior is my tool of choice for hard
    > drive stuff) If you can, re-seat the memory sticks, or remove extra
    > memory if you have it. A last resort would be to reinstall the system.
    >
    > If all that does not help fix the problem, then you have something wrong
    > with motherboard or something and you need to take it in for repair.[/ref]
    Dave Guest

  7. #7

    What sort of failing hardware?

  8. #8

    In article <google.com>, Dave
    Griffin <com> wrote:

    Go to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
    Click the First Aid Tab, select your disk and click repair disk
    permissions

    --
    Christopher S. Moore
    us

  9. #9

    I'm using 10.1.5 and have had one kernel panic, which was the result
    of Keyspan's kernel patch for their USB -> serial adpaters. Crappy
    software design, there's no reason to have to patch the kernel in OS X
    to get this sort of thing to run.

    I'd take the computer in to an Apple dealer BEFORE your warranty runs
    out, and have them test it. You could have bad RAM, a failing board
    of some sort, etc.
    Tim Guest

  10. #10

    well, for instance, when a dual-processor G4 started kernel panicking on me
    recently, it turned out to be a bad motherboard.

    but it could be a lot of different things, most of which I don't know about.

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Dave Griffin) wrote:

    > > in my experience, with os x, frequent kernel panics are a sign of failing
    > > hardware. if you've wiped the disk clean and reinstalled the system and are
    > > still getting panics, I would suspect hardware problems.[/ref][/ref]
    sam Guest

  11. #11

    Unplugging hardware is probably my next step. In the meantime, I went
    to my local computer store and asked what the person in the Mac
    section thought (I know this is usually useless) but he had a
    suggestion. He said I should check my fragmentation. He said he'd
    heard that severe fragmentation can cause panics. I checked and it was
    severe. I ran speed disk on both my disks. Don't know yet if that will
    do any good, but I've gone several hours without a panic. Maybe I will
    get lucky.

    I did buy the warranty with my iMac, so that makes me feel a little
    better.

    Dave Guest

  12. #12

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Dave Griffin) wrote:

    Unfortunately, I think the chances of this actually being the cause of your
    kernel panics is rather minimal. I mean, I could be wrong. But if this was
    the case everyone in the world would be having kernel panics, because
    relatively few people defragment their disks. Plus--I just don't see why
    this would cause crashes. It would slow down the system a whole lot, but
    crashes? Further, I have read that fragmentation isn't as big a problem
    under OS X than with OS 9 and previous, because Unix handles it better. I
    don't know why that would be, but it is my observation that you don't see
    Unix administrators going around defragmenting their servers' hard drives
    all the time, booting off a diskette or whatever.

    Anyway, my gut feeling is that . . . this isn't the problem.
    sam Guest

  13. #13

    In article <CUJ4b.322673$YN5.220216sccrnsc01>, sam grey
    <com> wrote:

    > Unfortunately, I think the chances of this actually being the cause of your
    > kernel panics is rather minimal. I mean, I could be wrong. But if this was
    > the case everyone in the world would be having kernel panics, because
    > relatively few people defragment their disks. Plus--I just don't see why
    > this would cause crashes. It would slow down the system a whole lot, but
    > crashes? Further, I have read that fragmentation isn't as big a problem
    > under OS X than with OS 9 and previous, because Unix handles it better. I
    > don't know why that would be, but it is my observation that you don't see
    > Unix administrators going around defragmenting their servers' hard drives
    > all the time, booting off a diskette or whatever.
    >
    > Anyway, my gut feeling is that . . . this isn't the problem.[/ref]

    Speed disk usually reports moderate and severe fragmentation when the
    directories are fragmented. I usually take this to mean the Desktop DB
    & DF since coping one drive to another in 9 will surely cause moderate
    to severe fragmentation. Desktop DB & DF files are all but unused in OS
    X so I'd have to say their not a cause of a kernal panic.