Professional Web Applications Themes

HELP, Please. - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

Hello. I have a very basic, self-taught knowledge of Dreamweaver. I have built an HTML site for a small business that I am starting. I would like to make an order form page that people can fill in with their name, address and email. Then go down the list of items and put the required number in the box next to the items to then email it back to me. Is this possible without messing around with databases (as they scare me). I have paypal set up with my bank account. Any help, suggestions or redirects would be most appreciated. ...

  1. #1

    Default HELP, Please.

    Hello.
    I have a very basic, self-taught knowledge of Dreamweaver. I have built an
    HTML site for a small business that I am starting.

    I would like to make an order form page that people can fill in with their
    name, address and email. Then go down the list of items and put the required
    number in the box next to the items to then email it back to me.

    Is this possible without messing around with databases (as they scare me).

    I have paypal set up with my bank account.

    Any help, suggestions or redirects would be most appreciated.

    Thank you.

    MOB.

    landstalker12345 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: HELP, Please.

    There are only two ways to process form data -

    1. Use mailto:com as the action of the form
    2. Use a server-side scripting method to a) harvest the form's data, b)
    process it in some manner, e.g., enter it into a database, c) formulate and
    send an email to one or more email recipients, and d) redirect the visitor
    to some ending page

    Method 1 is quite simple, and is also the least reliable. It depends both
    on your visitor having an email client already installed on their computer -
    this eliminates public computers, or home users without email clients
    installed (more and more it seems) - and on the installed email client
    responding to
    the mailto call. It is not possible to use this method *and* send the
    visitor to a
    thank you page as well.

    Method 2a is the preferred method, since it eliminates the problems of
    method
    1, but it means that you have to grapple with server-scripting somehow (ASP,
    CF, PHP, perl, etc.).

    Method 2b would be to use some third-party form processing, like
    http://www.bebosoft.com/products/formstogo/.

    You would have to decide which of these methods is best for your needs,
    but if it's Method 2a, then start by asking your host what they provide for
    form
    processing. If it's 2b, then read their FAQ/instructions carefully.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "landstalker12345" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    It sounds to me that you are building a static site, correct? If so, you could
    simply insert a form using the Insert>Form menu. After inserting the fields
    and check boxes/radio buttons, you can set the form to validation.
    Additionally, the submit button can be set to "mailto:com".
    I'm not exactly sure how you're wanting to do this, but you could at that
    point, provide an invoice and payment instructions to the user. I recently had
    a client that used this method until he was certain that his dotcom business
    was taking off. As I told him, once you get your business up and running, I
    would recommendthe use of a database to help you control your inventory and
    provide for a more dynamic experience for the online customer.

    d_bo89 Guest