Professional Web Applications Themes

Help Please! Interactive map - Macromedia Flash Actionscript

I have to create an interactive map, which shows the campus layout of a university. I want the user to be able to rollover, or click on any building, and a photograph with some info on the building appear somewhere on the page. Preferably, i'd like to include zoom in/zoom out functions so the campus can be seen in detail, but if this were the case id need to incorporate an area where the info would be displayed, regradless of how zoomed in the actual map is This is probably a really simple project to most of you but im ...

  1. #1

    Default Help Please! Interactive map

    I have to create an interactive map, which shows the campus layout of a
    university. I want the user to be able to rollover, or click on any building,
    and a photograph with some info on the building appear somewhere on the page.
    Preferably, i'd like to include zoom in/zoom out functions so the campus can be
    seen in detail, but if this were the case id need to incorporate an area where
    the info would be displayed, regradless of how zoomed in the actual map is

    This is probably a really simple project to most of you but im a bit of a
    beginner

    The link below shows a route map on a virgin site which is very similar to
    what id like to create. Are there any tutorials, or can anyone give me some
    pointers on what to do

    Any help is appreciated

    [url]http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/img/j...ap_may_2003.sw[/url]

    Steboy01 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help Please! Interactive map

    Cross posting is frowned upon, and you link doesn't work.

    _posted.by\(Vern\); Guest

  3. #3

    Sorry for cross posting, i just didnt know which forum was more appropriate. The link does work, can you help at all? Ive looked through many tutorials but am struggling to get anywhere.
    Steboy01 Guest

  4. #4

    In the other group, someone posted that he saw a tute on Flashkit.com when
    he did a search for MAP. or MAPS. Check there.

    I am using a newsreader, and the link doesn't work from here. Must be a MM
    forum problem. I know they have been having probems and I have been seeing
    all kinds of stange things regarding links. I did finally see the map by
    going to the main page and looking throught the links. Very nice map.
    Shouldn't be too hard to make a similar one.

    Regards,
    --Vern

    _posted.by\(Vern\); Guest

  5. #5

    I've just completed a Flash app very similar to what you describe, so I'll give
    you some pointers

    First off, decide whether this map is to be data-driven or hard-coded.
    Depending on how many hot-spots you will have (ie: clickable buildings) and how
    frequently the hotspots & information will change, it may be better to go one
    way or the other

    Decide if you want the map to be navigable (move & zoom) or static. Basic
    navigation is pretty easy to do, but again, this really depends on how
    big/complex your map is

    If you want the entire building footprint to be the hotspot for each building,
    then you will end up manually drawing each building. The alternative would be
    to use a generic "pip" or symbol for each building, perhaps imparting some
    extra information by color-code or shape. This will not be as "pretty" perhaps,
    but if you have 100's of buildings it will certainly be more cost-effective

    Find out if you can get the basic street/building map from your GIS or
    Facilities department in Vector format (DXF, for example). This will save you
    LOTS of headaches

    This is an example of the one I just finished:
    [url]http://cs.wcpss.net/page.php?page=2.1wor[/url]
    Because this is a temporary URL, actually clicking on the sites will not work,
    but at it's final URL, clicking on a site will pull up related data on the web
    page. An example of this would be:
    [url]http://cs.wcpss.net/page.php?page=2.1work&x=-48&y=18&w=2829.4&h=2835.7&schid=61[/url]

    I am the Webmaster for the above referenced site, so if you have further
    questions, you can find the "contact" link and email me

    Karim N Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks, I'll try and find that tutorial Vern

    Karim, your map is similar to what i want to make. I have the map constructed
    in JPEG form, but this is all i have to work from. There are around 30
    buildings (clickable areas) and i would like to have the zoom & pan functions
    as the map zoomed in at high quality will not fit on a typical screen

    Steboy01 Guest

  7. #7

    Ok... well, better to have the Map as vector art if you are going to zoom it in
    and out, but if you can't, you can't

    The trick in as far as moving/zooming is this

    You put the map graphic, the hotspots, and anything else that will move around
    with the map in a movie-clip, call this theMap

    You then put The Map inside another movieclip, call this mapContainer

    Now when you want to move around, you change the mapContainer.theMap._x &
    mapContainer.theMap._y. In other words, you move theMap around inside
    mapContainer

    When you want to zoom in or out, you change mapContainer._xscale &
    mapContainer._yscale. In other words, you scale the Container, not the map.
    This ensures that the view always zooms in and out around the center of the
    view, not hte center of the map

    Now, with 30 buildings, and a raster (JPEG) map, It's 6:(12*.5) as to whether
    to go static or dynamic on your hotspots, but on such a small map, and since
    you said you are a beginner at Flash programming, I would probably hard-code
    your hotspots (you can always come back and make them dynamic later if you need
    to). If the "extra Information" for each building is more than one or two
    items, then I would make that dynamic-- store the information in a database,
    XML file, or even a text file and load it in at run-time

    You pull it in, p it into an array, where each building has an index that
    corrolates to the array index where it's data is stored. Then you can have a
    function spit out the right information when a hotspot is clicked

    Karim N Guest

  8. #8

    Smile Re: Help Please! Interactive map

    the links are not working..i just want to learn how to make an interactive map
    may Guest