Professional Web Applications Themes

HELP PLEASE - need app to modify multiple MDB table designs simultaneously - ASP Database

Okay I think my title line was worded misleadingly. So here goes again. I've got quite 20 identical MDB files running on an IIS5 server. From time to time I need to go into various tables and add a field or two. It would be great if there were an application out there that could either: (a) sync all MDB designs (and/or data) designated to match one I've added some fields/tables to OR (b) go into all designated MDBs and create new field(s) or table(s). I've began writing something like this that right now just does part of (b) but ...

  1. #1

    Default HELP PLEASE - need app to modify multiple MDB table designs simultaneously

    Okay I think my title line was worded misleadingly. So here goes again.

    I've got quite 20 identical MDB files running on an IIS5 server.
    From time to time I need to go into various tables and add a field or two.
    It would be great if there were an application out there that could either:
    (a) sync all MDB designs (and/or data) designated to match one I've added
    some fields/tables to
    OR
    (b) go into all designated MDBs and create new field(s) or table(s).

    I've began writing something like this that right now just does part of (b)
    but I'd rather find something that is much more slick and complete.
    --
    Scotter

    Scotter Guest

  2. #2

    Is there a reason why you have to have 20 identical MDBs? Can you not
    combine everything into one?

    --
    Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
    http://I.Am/DougSteele

    "Scotter" <com> wrote in message
    either:
    (b)

    Douglas Guest

  3. #3

    Douglas J. Steele wrote:

    ....and, if they're truly identical, seems like.... modify one and use
    FileCopy to over-write the others.

    --
    Ken Halter - MS-MVP-VB - http://www.vbsight.com
    Please keep all discussions in the groups..

  4. #4

    http://aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2081

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    "Scotter" <com> wrote in message
    either:
    (b)

    Steven Guest

  5. #5

    They do not have identical data in them.
    Only their *structure* is identical.
    So... when I come up with an upgrade, I would rather not open up 20
    different databases one at a time to change/add field(s)/table(s).

    Scotter Guest

  6. #6

    But _WHY_ do you need 20 database's?

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    "Scotter" <com> wrote in message

    Steven Guest

  7. #7

    Trust me your question is irrelevant to what I need help finding.
    If you are really curious, though, see my answer at
    microsoft.public.access.3rdpartyusrgrp.
    I'm not sure of exact protocol for the cross-posting I'm doing and I don't
    want to people off.
    Thanks!

    "Steven Burn" <com> wrote in message

    >[/ref]

    Scotter Guest

  8. #8

    His question is not irrelevant at all. I'm going to guess that you have
    some setup where each user has his own database. If it's something like
    that, you aren't making good use of databases in general. Instead of
    finding a solution to doing something the wrong way in a faster way, people
    here are trying to offer suggestions of doing things the right way which
    would then negate the need for jumping through hoops!

    Ray at work

    >>[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Ray Guest

  9. #9

    "Scotter" <com> wrote in message

    It's not irrelevant at all...... there's absolutely no need to have 20
    database's.... (20 _tables_ in ONE database maybe (and even then, this
    shouldn't be necessary), but definately not 20 database's)

    I don't visit that NG ;o)

    See the link Ray posted......

    http://aspfaq.com/5004

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Guest

  10. #10

    I really wish you all would stop second guessing how/why I built the
    application as I did and just tell me of software that does what I need if
    you know if it existing. If you can't contribute then please don't badger me
    with advice about an application you have no idea about.

    PLEASE trust I had good reason to build the app the way I did and that for
    this particular application, ONE database runs ONE application and EACH
    application runs only ONE web site and it work great this way. For this
    particular app, it would not be efficient to have ONE application run ALL
    web sites on my server (and all the other servers running this app).

    In case you didn't read my explanation earlier, here it is:

    I have written a web content managment system that uses an MDB as it's
    back-end.
    I happen to be running twenty (and more each day) very similar versions of
    this *application* on my 2003 Server.
    Each *application* (with it's MDB) has very different data but same table
    structure.
    So each *application* has an identical structure but different data; for the
    most part. Some few have departed from the exact same schema.

    message news:phx.gbl...

    >>[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Scotter Guest

  11. #11

    "Scotter" <com> wrote in message
    me
    </snip>

    Now this type of attitude isn't gonna get you anywhere....

    As far as badgering you about an application we have no idea about....
    perhaps if you explained it to us, we'd have an idea.

    I don't mean to offend but, the guys that volunteer here, know what they are
    talking about, and "badger you with advice", in an effort to get you to do
    things the _right_ way, which will in turn, make _YOUR_ job a heck of alot
    easier.

    If however, you don't want advice, then you should really make sure you put
    something along the lines of ....

    "I don't give a rats right bollock about what you think of the way I am
    doing things, so would appreciate your not trying to tell me how I should be
    doing this, and just answer my question instead"

    ..... in your first post.

    But thats the point!. If you are going to be using database's, you really
    _should_ learn to use them effectively, and correctly, rather than what may
    _look_ easier.

    application run ALL

    Then you should really re-think the way you designed it.

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Guest

  12. #12

    I see you saying absolutely no need for 20 databases and I'm wondeirng if
    maybe you confused my description of my situation to be that I'm running 20
    databases PER application?
    If that were the case then yeah maybe but please re-read to find that I am
    running ONE database PER ONE application.

    > It's not irrelevant at all...... there's absolutely no need to have 20
    > database's.... (20 _tables_ in ONE database maybe (and even then, this
    > shouldn't be necessary), but definately not 20 database's)

    > I don't visit that NG ;o)

    > See the link Ray posted......
    >
    > http://aspfaq.com/5004
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Steven Burn
    > Ur I.T. Mate Group
    > www.it-mate.co.uk
    >
    > Keeping it FREE!
    >

    >[/ref]

    Scotter Guest

  13. #13

    I read it just fine..... and still don't see why you would need a seperate
    database for each application when you could just as easily have one
    database, and one table for each application?

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    "Scotter" <com> wrote in message
    20

    > > It's not irrelevant at all...... there's absolutely no need to have 20
    > > database's.... (20 _tables_ in ONE database maybe (and even then, this
    > > shouldn't be necessary), but definately not 20 database's)
    > >

    > > I don't visit that NG ;o)
    > >

    > > See the link Ray posted......
    > >
    > > http://aspfaq.com/5004
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Steven Burn
    > > Ur I.T. Mate Group
    > > www.it-mate.co.uk
    > >
    > > Keeping it FREE!
    > >

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Steven Guest

  14. #14

    Just let it go!
    Some work harder than smarter.

    dlbjr
    Pleading sagacious indoctrination!

    dlbjr Guest

  15. #15

    hehehee now you are just baiting me, right?
    "one table for each application"?
    You have no idea what my application does and why it requires about 40
    different tables because this is a RELATIONAL database. Maybe you are living
    in 1978 where all databases were flat?
    Will someone, anyone here who understands that ONE SOLUTION DOES NOT FIT ALL
    please step forward and correct these guys and hopefully they will get off
    my back.

    > 20
    >>
    >>[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Scotter Guest

  16. #16

    40 tables per DB?...... if you'd said that when I first asked, I'd have shut
    up about the amount of DB's <g>

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    "Scotter" <com> wrote in message
    living
    ALL [/ref]
    seperate [/ref][/ref]
    if [/ref][/ref]
    running [/ref][/ref]
    20 [/ref][/ref]
    this

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Steven Guest

  17. #17

    Scotter wrote:

    There is. It's called "tion" and it's built into Access.
    ..

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Guest

  18. #18

    If the databases are identical for all applications then all applications are capable of running
    from one main database.
    The key is which data belongs to which application in the database. This can be easily managed. Then
    you would be changing just one database. I'm a DBA for Oracle and Microsoft SQLServer systems in a
    large environment. So, you can either take advice from people truly trying to help you. Or struggle.
    Why do you think not many have struggled to build such a tool you are requesting?

  19. #19

    Yes, I understand why you and the others are recommending I make this
    application so it runs multiple web sites instead of just one per MDB.
    Tell me something: If you wrote an application to run with an MDB back-end
    and you planned on keeping it MS-Access based and this application is a web
    CMS, and some of your web clients are big banking institutions and they do
    not want their data comingled with other company's data... and some clients
    want to have access to their particular MDB... and... and .... and....
    would you then put all your eggs in one basket?
    Another reason is that these *identical* MDBs sometimes do not stay
    identical. I inevitably have clients who want their version of HotKey
    customized to run different in some ways and oh boy then it departs from
    being like all the others and yeah that presents headaches of it's own but
    hey they pay more for support.
    Yeah, I realize I could still design each app so it uses one MDB and has
    *potential* to host more than one URL. But please please please trust that I
    have plenty of other reasons, too, to keep them separate in the case of this
    particular application.
    If you truly are a pro then you know that there are typically exceptions to
    rules.

    "dlbjr" <com> wrote in message

    Scotter Guest

  20. #20

    Send me links to your product. I'm on all the software committees at the
    bank where I work. com

    Ray at work

    >[/ref]

    Ray Guest