Professional Web Applications Themes

Help !!! Please...New to Red at andLinux.....Got system installed on Dule boot using what I beleive is Grub....Can't get past login... - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have installed Red Hat 9 twice, using two different HD's. I have it setup for dual boot. Ito gives me DOS/Red Hat options at dual boot screen. After choosing Red Hat every thing loads with an OK then It brings me to the Graphical Login Screen. I put in username and password. and it then goes to text login, but I can't type at that login. Then after a few seconds it goes back to the Graphical Login, I try it again, get same result. I try to login a third time and it goes to the text login ...

  1. #1

    Default Help !!! Please...New to Red at andLinux.....Got system installed on Dule boot using what I beleive is Grub....Can't get past login...

    I have installed Red Hat 9 twice, using two different HD's. I have it
    setup for dual boot. Ito gives me DOS/Red Hat options at dual boot
    screen. After choosing Red Hat every thing loads with an OK then It
    brings me to the Graphical Login Screen. I put in username and
    password. and it then goes to text login, but I can't type at that
    login. Then after a few seconds it goes back to the Graphical Login, I
    try it again, get same result. I try to login a third time and it goes
    to the text login screen and hangs. I have to pull the plug to shut it
    down. If i use a bad username it tells me it does not exist, which it
    should tell me. It does the same for a bad password. So it must at
    least accept my login. I am running this on an HP Brio Celeron 466 Mhz
    with 320 MB ram. And Red Hat 9, and I told it to install everything.
    It seemed to correctly Identifie the Intell 810 chipset. I also tolsd
    it to load ALL the packages. How can I get it to boot. I can't even
    get it to boot in text to root. Nor can I seem to get it into
    maintenance mode. PLEASE help. Does anyone have any Ideas ????

    Thanks,
    Ralph Malph
    Ralph Guest

  2. #2

     [/ref][/ref]
    Ralph>
    Ralph> I have installed Red Hat 9 twice, using two different HD's. I
    Ralph> have it setup for dual boot. Ito gives me DOS/Red Hat options
    Ralph> at dual boot screen. After choosing Red Hat every thing loads
    Ralph> with an OK then It brings me to the Graphical Login Screen. I
    Ralph> put in username and password. and it then goes to text login,
    Ralph> but I can't type at that login. Then after a few seconds it
    Ralph> goes back to the Graphical Login, I try it again, get same
    Ralph> result. I try to login a third time and it goes to the text
    Ralph> login screen and hangs. I have to pull the plug to shut it
    Ralph> down. If i use a bad username it tells me it does not exist,
    Ralph> which it should tell me. It does the same for a bad
    Ralph> password. So it must at least accept my login. I am running
    Ralph> this on an HP Brio Celeron 466 Mhz with 320 MB ram. And Red Hat
    Ralph> 9, and I told it to install everything. It seemed to correctly
    Ralph> Identifie the Intell 810 chipset. I also tolsd it to load ALL
    Ralph> the packages. How can I get it to boot. I can't even get it to
    Ralph> boot in text to root. Nor can I seem to get it into maintenance
    Ralph> mode. PLEASE help. Does anyone have any Ideas ????

    I think that your X configuration is not set up correctly. The
    graphical login program is working, but when you log in it exits and
    starts a brand new X. If that X is not configured appropriately, it
    will hang, or exit and bounce you back to the graphical login program,
    which restarts.

    What I would suggest is to boot up, and then once you see the
    graphical login, press Cntrl-Alt-F1, which will bring you to the text
    login. ( Text "virtual terminals" can be accessed by doing
    Cntrl-Alt-F1 through Cntrl-Alt-F6; the graphical mode is on
    Cntrl-Alt-F7, and if you start a second X, it is on Cntrl-Alt-F8. )

    Log in with the text mode.

    Then disable the graphical login, so that it always comes up in text
    only mode. (You will change it back later.) Do this by editting the
    file /etc/inittab, and changing the line which says

    id:5:initdefault:

    id:3:initdefault:

    Then reboot. The point of this is to make sure that graphical login
    program isn't in the way of the program you are about to run to
    configure X.

    It will reboot to text only, and login as root. Then re-configure X,
    and test the X with the command "startx". Once you have this working,
    edit the /etc/inittab back to the way it was, and everything should be
    ok.

    To configure X, there are several commands you can use:

    redhat-config-xfree86
    XF86Setup
    xf86config

    The fastest way to get a working system is probably to run the command
    "X -configure" which will write a configuration file to /root. Then
    run the command it tells you to use to test it. If it comes up with a
    grey screen and an X mouse cursor that moves, exit with
    Cntrl-Alt-Backspace, and copy that /root/XF86Config.new file to
    /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, change your inittab file back, and reboot.

    I am surprised that RedHat 9 did not work straight off with your
    computer. In my experience it configures X from the installation
    almost every time.

    --Rob

    Rob Guest

  3. #3

    Rob

    Thank you for your help ! I have tried to follow your suggestions but
    I have run in to a few snags. I am able to get to a text login by
    using the ctl-alt-f1 combo, but once there I can not type anything on
    the keyboard. I found that during the boot process there was a
    reference to the loading of USB keyboard/mouse drivers. The keyboard
    and mouse I am using is connected via PS2. Always has been. However I
    have a USB to PS2 adapter I use for notebooks and when I attach the
    mouse and keyboard to the PC via this adapter I am able to get the
    keyboard to work at the text login. Unfortunately this did not solve
    the rest of my problem. Now after I enter the username and password, I
    just get another login prompt . If I use and incorrect username or
    password it will complain so I know it is reading the
    username/password correctly.
    I am sure that there must be a mis-configuration or two some where, I
    just can't get to any kind of a # to edit anything etc. Again thanks
    for all the help, you have given me. You have given me some great
    info. If you have any other suggestions I will be greatly
    appreciative.

    Ralph Malph

     [/ref]

    Ralph Guest

  4. #4

    Ralph>
    Ralph> Rob
    Ralph> Thank you for your help ! I have tried to follow your
    Ralph> suggestions but I have run in to a few snags. I am able to get
    Ralph> to a text login by using the ctl-alt-f1 combo, but once there I
    Ralph> can not type anything on the keyboard. I found that during the
    Ralph> boot process there was a reference to the loading of USB
    Ralph> keyboard/mouse drivers. The keyboard and mouse I am using is
    Ralph> connected via PS2. Always has been. However I have a USB to PS2
    Ralph> adapter I use for notebooks and when I attach the mouse and
    Ralph> keyboard to the PC via this adapter I am able to get the
    Ralph> keyboard to work at the text login. Unfortunately this did not
    Ralph> solve the rest of my problem. Now after I enter the username
    Ralph> and password, I just get another login prompt . If I use and
    Ralph> incorrect username or password it will complain so I know it is
    Ralph> reading the username/password correctly.
    Ralph> I am sure that there must be a mis-configuration or two some
    Ralph> where, I just can't get to any kind of a # to edit anything
    Ralph> etc. Again thanks for all the help, you have given me. You have
    Ralph> given me some great info. If you have any other suggestions I
    Ralph> will be greatly appreciative.
    Ralph>
    Ralph> Ralph Malph

    Setting aside your keyboard and mouse problems, an instaneous logout
    without being in graphical mode is usually associated with the user's
    shell immediately exiting for some reason or simply not being there.

    When ever I have had the situation you describe -- a fresh install
    behaving that badly -- it has turned out to be a hardware problem,
    either bad RAM (in several cases) or a a failing IDE controller (in
    fewer cases).

    I would re-install from scratch. If you continue to have problems,
    try testing your machine with memtest86 or by booting a knoppix CD.

    --Rob
    Rob Guest

  5. #5

    Again, Thanks for your help. I will try a re-instalation. As for bad
    hardware, anything is possible, but this system also has XP Pro and
    Win 2K3 Server on it, and I am having no problems with them.

    Again, Thanks for all your help !!!

    Ralph Malph

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 03:24:57 GMT, lonestar.org (Rob Ristroph)
    wrote:
     [/ref]
    >Ralph>
    >Ralph> Rob
    >Ralph> Thank you for your help ! I have tried to follow your
    >Ralph> suggestions but I have run in to a few snags. I am able to get
    >Ralph> to a text login by using the ctl-alt-f1 combo, but once there I
    >Ralph> can not type anything on the keyboard. I found that during the
    >Ralph> boot process there was a reference to the loading of USB
    >Ralph> keyboard/mouse drivers. The keyboard and mouse I am using is
    >Ralph> connected via PS2. Always has been. However I have a USB to PS2
    >Ralph> adapter I use for notebooks and when I attach the mouse and
    >Ralph> keyboard to the PC via this adapter I am able to get the
    >Ralph> keyboard to work at the text login. Unfortunately this did not
    >Ralph> solve the rest of my problem. Now after I enter the username
    >Ralph> and password, I just get another login prompt . If I use and
    >Ralph> incorrect username or password it will complain so I know it is
    >Ralph> reading the username/password correctly.
    >Ralph> I am sure that there must be a mis-configuration or two some
    >Ralph> where, I just can't get to any kind of a # to edit anything
    >Ralph> etc. Again thanks for all the help, you have given me. You have
    >Ralph> given me some great info. If you have any other suggestions I
    >Ralph> will be greatly appreciative.
    >Ralph>
    >Ralph> Ralph Malph
    >
    >Setting aside your keyboard and mouse problems, an instaneous logout
    >without being in graphical mode is usually associated with the user's
    >shell immediately exiting for some reason or simply not being there.
    >
    >When ever I have had the situation you describe -- a fresh install
    >behaving that badly -- it has turned out to be a hardware problem,
    >either bad RAM (in several cases) or a a failing IDE controller (in
    >fewer cases).
    >
    >I would re-install from scratch. If you continue to have problems,
    >try testing your machine with memtest86 or by booting a knoppix CD.
    >
    >--Rob[/ref]

    Ralph Guest