Hi, everyone! I've been developing Dreamweaver MX 2004 courseware using CSS,
layers, and templates, and I need some help figuring out how to solve a problem
with my layer positioning for IE5.5 and 6.0 browsers. I've been working with
Dreamweaver for about 9 months, but I'm still trying to get the hang of all of
the ins and outs of positioning. I have 3 layers: Banner, Content, and
BottomNavBar. Visually, the effect I need to create is to have the banner
accross the top, the bottom nav bar stuck to the bottom of the window, and the
content layer in between with vertical scrolling as necessary. The layers are
currently defined as follows: <div id='Banner' style='position:absolute;
left:1px; top:1px; width:99.5%; height:5%; z-index:1' class='banner'> <div
id='Content' style='position:absolute; left:1px; top:40px; width:99.5%;
height:82%; z-index:4; overflow: auto;'> <div id='InstructionNavBar'
style='position:absolute; left:1px; top:90%; width:99.5%; height:10%;
z-index:3' class='bottomnavbar'> The problem is that the Content layer is
overlaying the InstructionNavBar, with the scroll bar extending from the.bottom
of the banner to the bottom of the window (i.e., over the bottom nav bar). I
have gone to several sources to try to figure out the problem, including:
[url]http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-box-20021024/#overflow0[/url] , which states that
overflow:scroll and overflow:auto make the layer into a flow root, and,
[url]http://www.alistapart.com/articles/footers/[/url] which discusses some ways to use
the box model hack for footers. After reading all of this, I think I have a
couple of alternatives: 1. Nest my 3 layers in a 'container' layer, with the
container layer having relative positioning and the 3 nested layers having
absolute positioning. I've tried this, but my bottom nav bar is now ignoring
the content layer altogether and is displaying directly under the banner. 2.
Use the modification of the box model hack to keep the footer at the bottom of
the page (don't know what this will do for the scrolling problem, though). 3.
Put a table inside the content layer instead of using overflow:auto (can I
control the height of the table to prevent the table from overlaying the bottom
nav bar?) 4. Someone suggested using an iframe in the content layer, but I'm
not familiar with iframes would need some help on how to set it up). I feel
like I've got all the parts to make my widget, but I don't know how to put them
together in just the right way to achieve the effect I want. I'm at my wits
end, and I could sure use a little mentoring from someone who has more
experience with this. Anyone out there care to make me feel less isolated?
Thanks for whatever help you can lend, Vshoulberg :confused;