Professional Web Applications Themes

Help requested - Mac Portable

I have a powerbook G3, on which I tried to use a quite old version of Norton Utilities. It ed up something important pretty soon when I tried running the Disk Doctor program. It crashed the computer and now it won't even boot up, it just shows the image of a disk with flashing ? on it. Will newer Norton Utilities (for my MacOS 9.2) fix the problem if I load it as CD or is there some other way I can get back to using the powerbook without losing all the GBs of stuff I had on it? Thanks ...

  1. #1

    Default Help requested

    I have a powerbook G3, on which I tried to use a quite old version of
    Norton Utilities. It ed up something important pretty soon when I
    tried running the Disk Doctor program. It crashed the computer and now
    it won't even boot up, it just shows the image of a disk with flashing
    ? on it.
    Will newer Norton Utilities (for my MacOS 9.2) fix the problem if I
    load it as CD or is there some other way I can get back to using the
    powerbook without losing all the GBs of stuff I had on it?
    Thanks in advance for help.

    Aditya
    Adi Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help requested

    In article <google.com>, Adi Anant
    <com> wrote:

    Boot from the system CD?

    Cathy

    --
    "there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

    C.Stevenson, M.D.
    net
    Cathy Guest

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Adi Anant) wrote:

    There is a program, "Norton Fixer", that undoes whatever the old
    Norton programs do to HFS+ drives. I downloaded it from versiontracker
    a year or more ago. The Trial version "fixes" six files, as I recall.
    You try it on six files; if it works, pay the registration fee, and
    recover the entire disk. Worked for me.

    This presupposes that you have a disk that you can boot from and from
    which you can run Norton Fixer.

    jim
    James Guest

  4. #4

    Cathy Stevenson <net> wrote in message news:<160920031033316440%net>...

    > Boot from the system CD?
    >
    > Cathy[/ref]

    Don't have system CD. I can buy it but will it not simply reformat the
    disk instead of recovering the files? Another guy just posted a
    similar problem here and people seem to think Disk Warrior can help.
    Would DW be better than newest Norton util.?
    Or system software disk? Which one to buy, is the nagging question.
    As you can understand, each one of them is not cheap at all!

    Aditya
    Adi Guest

  5. #5

    <com> wrote:

    > > Boot from the system CD?
    > >
    > > Cathy[/ref]
    >
    > Don't have system CD. I can buy it but will it not simply reformat the
    > disk instead of recovering the files? Another guy just posted a
    > similar problem here and people seem to think Disk Warrior can help.
    > Would DW be better than newest Norton util.?[/ref]

    A system disk allows you to boot the machine when the system on the
    computer becomes corrupted. You can also reinstall the OS without
    reformatting the drive.

    The flashing ? usually means that the computer can't find an OS from
    which to boot. It is possible, even likely, that your non-system files
    are fine.

    If I could own only one disk utility, it would be Disk Warrior. My
    second choice is TechToolPro and my last choice Norton.

    Cathy

  6. #6

    James Jaeger <com> wrote in message news:<giganews.com>...

    > There is a program, "Norton Fixer", that undoes whatever the old
    > Norton programs do to HFS+ drives. I downloaded it from versiontracker
    > a year or more ago. The Trial version "fixes" six files, as I recall.
    > You try it on six files; if it works, pay the registration fee, and
    > recover the entire disk. Worked for me.
    >
    > This presupposes that you have a disk that you can boot from and from
    > which you can run Norton Fixer.
    >
    > jim[/ref]

    I bought DW and it seems to have worked. Thanks for info, I might need it in future.

    Aditya
    Adi Guest

  7. #7

    Cathy Stevenson <net> wrote in message news:<170920031027216771%net>...

    Thanks, Cathy. The DWarrior worked fine. You also cleared up some
    other doubts I had.

    Aditya
    Adi Guest