Professional Web Applications Themes

Help! Resizing Windows XP FAT32 MBR partition. - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have just bought a new computer. After some repairs it came with Windows Xp preinstalled although I did not pay for it (And therefore have not the Windows CDs). I will install Suse Linux 8.2 but I think it would be a good idea to keep W Xp, at least until I configure Linux correctly (Some pieces -I.E. graphics card- are quite new in the market and I expect some problems), for testing purposes. The problem is that I can not resize the windows partition. Suse Linux fails miserably and suggest I shrink the partition from Windows. It seems ...

  1. #1

    Default Help! Resizing Windows XP FAT32 MBR partition.

    I have just bought a new computer. After some repairs it
    came with Windows Xp preinstalled although I did not pay for
    it (And therefore have not the Windows CDs).
    I will install Suse Linux 8.2 but I think it would be a good
    idea to keep W Xp, at least until I configure Linux
    correctly (Some pieces -I.E. graphics card- are quite new in
    the market and I expect some problems), for testing
    purposes.
    The problem is that I can not resize the windows partition.
    Suse Linux fails miserably and suggest I shrink the
    partition from Windows.
    It seems there are two types of partition (According to the
    frustrating Windows Help system) MBR (Main/Master Boot
    Register) and GPT (GUID Partitions table). The partition in
    my disk is a FAT32 MBR and I guess that is why Linux can not
    resize it. 'Windows help' explains how to change a partition
    from MBR to GPT but it entails erasing all data -I.E.
    windows.

    Any suggestions on how to resize a MBR partition without
    erasing Windows on it? Is there a tool to do it? Where can I
    get it?

    Thanks in advance,

    Manolo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help! Resizing Windows XP FAT32 MBR partition.

    Manolo wrote:
    > I have just bought a new computer. After some repairs it
    > came with Windows Xp preinstalled although I did not pay for
    > it (And therefore have not the Windows CDs).
    > I will install Suse Linux 8.2 but I think it would be a good
    > idea to keep W Xp, at least until I configure Linux
    > correctly (Some pieces -I.E. graphics card- are quite new in
    > the market and I expect some problems), for testing
    > purposes.
    > The problem is that I can not resize the windows partition.
    > Suse Linux fails miserably and suggest I shrink the
    > partition from Windows.
    > It seems there are two types of partition (According to the
    > frustrating Windows Help system) MBR (Main/Master Boot
    > Register) and GPT (GUID Partitions table). The partition in
    > my disk is a FAT32 MBR and I guess that is why Linux can not
    > resize it. 'Windows help' explains how to change a partition
    > from MBR to GPT but it entails erasing all data -I.E.
    > windows.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to resize a MBR partition without
    > erasing Windows on it? Is there a tool to do it? Where can I
    > get it?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    Hi,

    If your WinXP partition is FAT32, you'll have no problem to resize it with
    fdisk (provided on the Mandrake, RedHat, ... first installation CDROM).
    Before resizing, take care to make a full defrag on your windows partition
    followed by a scandisk.

    Then boot using a DOS floppy, insert the Linux install CDROM, then use fdisk
    to resize.

    After that you'll have reserved apce to make a Linux installation.

    Hope this helps.

    Sébastien

    Sébastien Cottalorda Guest