Professional Web Applications Themes

help sending to Mail.app - Mac Applications & Software

Greetings, I need some help sending mail from the command line to the Mail app. I wrote a little perl program that appends mail to the mbox files and it kind of works, but it has some drawbacks. How can I send directly to the Mail app from command line? Joe....

  1. #1

    Default help sending to Mail.app

    Greetings,

    I need some help sending mail from the command line to the Mail app.

    I wrote a little perl program that appends mail to the mbox files and it
    kind of works, but it has some drawbacks.

    How can I send directly to the Mail app from command line?

    Joe.
    eagle Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: help sending to Mail.app

    In article <east.earthlink.net>,
    eagle eyes joe <net> wrote:

    How are you hoping to receive the mail in Mail? Or (like with you append
    to the mbox file method) do you hope the mail will just be there? In an
    older version of Mail, you could actually set up a 'UNIX' account
    (instead of .Mac/POP/IMAP) which would use the /var/mail/username files
    for reading mail. I think that is not possible in the current version
    however.

    What you could do instead, if you have Sendmail set up properly, is just
    send email to one of your real accounts, and let Mail receive as normal.
    To do so, you just use the CLI mail program:

    % mail com
    Subject: Mail from mail!
    Content goes here. To end put a period by itself on a line
    ..

    Will that do?

    --
    Heath
    | *Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool* |

  3. #3

    In article <newcastle.edu.au>,
    Heath Raftery <com> wrote:

    > How are you hoping to receive the mail in Mail? Or (like with you append
    > to the mbox file method) do you hope the mail will just be there? In an
    > older version of Mail, you could actually set up a 'UNIX' account
    > (instead of .Mac/POP/IMAP) which would use the /var/mail/username files
    > for reading mail. I think that is not possible in the current version
    > however.
    >
    > What you could do instead, if you have Sendmail set up properly, is just
    > send email to one of your real accounts, and let Mail receive as normal.
    > To do so, you just use the CLI mail program:
    >
    > % mail com
    > Subject: Mail from mail!
    > Content goes here. To end put a period by itself on a line
    > .
    >
    > Will that do?[/ref]

    I have a book on Mac OSx and the authors say that you should not want to
    run sendmail for security reasons. I tend to agree since just Friday I
    got spammed by a couple hundred of Microsoft viruses. (I think it was
    because I posted here not using an invalid account.)

    Since my perl program that appends to the end of the mbox files mostly
    works, maybe someone can tell me how to make Mail.app reinitialize
    itself.

    Ie. I write the new files, then I tell Mail.app to rebuild its indicies.

    Thank you for your help.

    Joe.
    eagle Guest

  4. #4

    eagle eyes joe <net> wrote:

    >> How are you hoping to receive the mail in Mail? Or (like with you append
    >> to the mbox file method) do you hope the mail will just be there? In an
    >> older version of Mail, you could actually set up a 'UNIX' account
    >> (instead of .Mac/POP/IMAP) which would use the /var/mail/username files
    >> for reading mail. I think that is not possible in the current version
    >> however.
    >>
    >> What you could do instead, if you have Sendmail set up properly, is just
    >> send email to one of your real accounts, and let Mail receive as normal.
    >> To do so, you just use the CLI mail program:
    >>
    >> % mail com
    >> Subject: Mail from mail!
    >> Content goes here. To end put a period by itself on a line
    >> .
    >>
    >> Will that do?[/ref][/ref]

    Your spam has nothing to do with sendmail (although, a couple hundred
    would be a nice change - I've had well over 2000). Nonetheless, if you
    don't have a firewall, don't want to keep up with security updates or
    don't feel like configuring sendmail to accept local connections only,
    you might be wise to heed the book's advice.

    Menu->Mailbox->Rebuild mailbox?

    --
    | ^Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool^ |