Professional Web Applications Themes

"Help" STILL does not work - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I have the same problem with Windows XP Pro and Retail version of Elements. I noticed that the help files are in Html. If I access them directly they come up fine. They are shown as AOL html files as this is my default browser. I get an error message that Microsoft Explorer cannot find the files. What is going on? No other software that has HTML files has this issue. Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Re: "Help" STILL does not work

    I have the same problem with Windows XP Pro and Retail version of Elements. I noticed that the help files are in Html. If I access them directly they come up fine. They are shown as AOL html files as this is my default browser. I get an error message that Microsoft Explorer cannot find the files. What is going on? No other software that has HTML files has this issue.

    Thanks
    Therese ER Guest

  2. #2

    Rich
    Ive looked through the "internet options" window and can't find a place to set IE as the default browser. There are options for everything but the browser: email, html editing, etc. Where else can I do this?
    Therese ER Guest

  3. #3

    In the internet options window go to the programs tab. There is a checkbox at the bottom that says "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser". Check that box and launch the IE6 application. It should then ask you if you want to set it as default.

    Rich
    Richard Coencas Guest

  4. #4

    PS also removed the software and reinstalled it!
    Therese ER Guest

  5. #5

    Not the only one :-(

    Just came here for two support questions..

    First why does help not work ? (XP-Pro, Administrative user, Internet Explorer 6 as only browser, new installation of PSE-version 1)

    Second, why does online-update just give me an error about unable to connect ? (answer appears to be there are no updates, so its irrelevant...)

    Otherwise, quite happy with my 10 UK-pounds of software.

    - Nigel.
    Nigel C Guest

  6. #6

    Can't answer for Brad & Antony. However, in my case, the default local drive is H: (don't ask!), within there, the adobe help files are where you'd expect and open in Explorer to a working help system.

    - Nigel
    Nigel C Guest

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Nigel C Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. #8

    I'm using IE as default browser. On original install HELP worked fine. Suddenly, it is unable to open the Web page. In the URL address line is what appears to be an MS DOS script. Any ideas?
    William C Harvey Guest

  9. #9

    William,

    As silly as this sounds, have you tried to completely clean up your Internet
    temporary files (cache) ? I remember having encountered similar problems
    with Microsoft Picture It 2002. Suddenly, no menu, or no templates would
    show up. The guy at Microsoft said that sometimes, stuff remained in the
    cache that would prevent some applications using IE (or functionnalities of
    it) from working fine. This is only a guess.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  10. #10

    I tried all the fixes indicated here and also went into explorer and changed the open with default for all .htm and .html files. I am still getting the error message. It looks like there is an error in the file address given the format of the file listed in the error message. Perhaps XP is more sensitive to this than other systems? Or perhaps one of the recent XP upgrades are preventing this type of file address scheme? The error I get is from the Microsoft Internet Explorer application. For some reason it wants to search the web for the file. It says it cannot find \file:C:program%20filesAdobephotoshop%20Elements%2 0helphelp.html.

    If I go to the Adobe file folder all the files are there and they can be accessed manually by clicking on them manually. I noticed that the name of the main help file on my drive is 0_0_0_0.html. The files will open in IE or AOL depending on which default browser I have selected.

    I have windows XP pro, Microsoft Explorer (not AOL) as default browser, Photoshop Elements. I can access the help files

    I also had a problem registering the software. I had to go to the Adobe site and register it manually.

    It sounds like the call-up utility for accessing the help utility is not written is done in a non-standard way. I do not have this problem with any other software on my system.

    Any more suggestions?
    Therese ER Guest