Professional Web Applications Themes

Help!!! Template Problem - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Rob: Find the Dreamweaver executable file in the Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver MX folder. When you right click on it and choose first Properties, and then Version, what version number do you see listed there? -- Murray --- ICQ 71997575 Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!) ================== news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver - THE BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS ================== http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage! http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes ================== "Rob Crowther" <info> wrote in message news:bgqtof$ck8$macromedia.com... [/ref] the  > > I ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Help!!! Template Problem

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================
    http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    ==================

    "Rob Crowther" <info> wrote in message
    news:bgqtof$ck8$macromedia.com... [/ref]
    the

    > I am having sort of the opposite problem - code keeps getting inserted
    > into my editable region when I update the template.
    >
    > I have a number of standard DW behaviors on the page for image
    > pre-loading and rollovers, I have taken the javascript for the behaviors
    > and moved it into a seperate file and then linked that file into my
    > template. The problem I'm finding is that when I update the template
    > and then accept to update all the pages derived from it the javascript
    > code gets re-inserted into the the doctitle editable region. It's not
    > that this stops anything working, it's just a bit untidy and it annoys
    > me so much I then go through each page and manually re-remove all the
    > js. Strangely when I do this DW alerts me that I'm changing code
    > outside of the template, even though I'm not touching any code outside
    > the template editable regions just deleting lines from within the
    > doctitle editable region.
    >
    > I think my problem may be related to the fact that the rollovers
    > themselves exist inside library items which are then placed into an
    > editable region, and this is somehow ing up some logic in DW to
    > check that the js is there to support the behaviours, but any other
    > opinions would be welcome.
    >
    > For reference purposes an example page can be viewed at
    > http://www.serviceworksglobal.com/company
    >
    > Rob
    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  2. #2

    Version 6.1.1842.0

    Rob Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Rob

    First, you have a mix of Dreamweaver 4 template markup and Dreamweaver MX. I
    suggest that you follow the tutorial on updating your template at our books
    support site (http://dreamweavermx-templates.com/tutorials) and perform
    those operations.

    Secondly, the 'real' issue is that you don't have an editable region in the
    head other than doctitle. Dreamweaver seems to want an additional editable
    region above the template parameter named head so that your library item
    scripts can be inserted on the instance page without issue.

    This region will be added if you do the recommended template update tutorial
    that I mentioned you should perform.

    Hope that helps.

    --
    Brad Halstead (brad at dreamweavermx-templates.com)
    TMM Volunteer [Contribute] - http://www.macromedia.com/go/team/

    "Rob Crowther" <info> wrote in message
    news:bgqtof$ck8$macromedia.com... [/ref]
    the

    > I am having sort of the opposite problem - code keeps getting inserted
    > into my editable region when I update the template.
    >
    > I have a number of standard DW behaviors on the page for image
    > pre-loading and rollovers, I have taken the javascript for the behaviors
    > and moved it into a seperate file and then linked that file into my
    > template. The problem I'm finding is that when I update the template
    > and then accept to update all the pages derived from it the javascript
    > code gets re-inserted into the the doctitle editable region. It's not
    > that this stops anything working, it's just a bit untidy and it annoys
    > me so much I then go through each page and manually re-remove all the
    > js. Strangely when I do this DW alerts me that I'm changing code
    > outside of the template, even though I'm not touching any code outside
    > the template editable regions just deleting lines from within the
    > doctitle editable region.
    >
    > I think my problem may be related to the fact that the rollovers
    > themselves exist inside library items which are then placed into an
    > editable region, and this is somehow ing up some logic in DW to
    > check that the js is there to support the behaviours, but any other
    > opinions would be welcome.
    >
    > For reference purposes an example page can be viewed at
    > http://www.serviceworksglobal.com/company
    >
    > Rob
    >[/ref]

    Brad Guest

  4. #4

    Brad Halstead - TMM wrote:

    Hi.

    Thanks, I'll have a look - the template orginated at a graphic designer
    so I guess he was on DW4?

    But I don't want the library item scripts insterted on the instance page
    - the scripts are all in the main.js file which gets linked to, there's
    no need for them to get insterted again.

    Rob

    Rob Guest

  5. #5

    Library items in js scripts?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > Hi.
    > [/ref]
    MX. I [/ref]
    books
    > Thanks, I'll have a look - the template orginated at a graphic designer
    > so I guess he was on DW4?
    > [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    editable
    > But I don't want the library item scripts insterted on the instance page
    > - the scripts are all in the main.js file which gets linked to, there's
    > no need for them to get insterted again.
    >
    > Rob
    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  6. #6

    There's calls to MM_swapImage and MM_swapImgRestore in the library item,
    but there are no library items in the js scripts.

    Rob

    Rob Guest

  7. #7

    Rob:

    I misunderstood your previous post then. Apologies.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  8. #8

    I updated the template to DW MX and, after applying the updated template
    to all pages, all the spurious js code re-appeared inside my doctitle
    editable region.

    I guess I could use nested templates instead of library items? The
    library item is just for the menu, which is different for each section
    on the site. In times past I have made multiple templates with one for
    each section but they get to be a pain to update when you want to make a
    small change to the overall layout, so I was trying to minimize the
    number of templates without forcing the non-technical people who will be
    responsible for updating content to have to write their own menu entries.

    Rob

    Rob Crowther wrote:

    > Thanks, I'll have a look - the template orginated at a graphic designer
    > so I guess he was on DW4?
    >[/ref]

    Rob Guest

  9. #9

    Hi Rob

    Probably.
     [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    editable
    > But I don't want the library item scripts insterted on the instance page
    > - the scripts are all in the main.js file which gets linked to, there's
    > no need for them to get insterted again.[/ref]

    I'm afraid you don't have a choice.. that's how they work together. When you
    insert a library item in an editable region, the scripts are verified per
    page and Dreamweaver can't detect them in an external script file.

    So your best bet is to insert the library item in the instance page, then
    save it, then remove the scripts in the head block that the lbi inserted,
    then save the page again. The only time they will be inserted again is if
    you make a change to the lbi or insert the lbi again.

    It's a bit of a pita so please send this as an enhancement request to:
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/email/wishform/ for consideration of
    repair in a future version of Dreamweaver.

    Sorry I don't have better news for you.. but the workaround I outline above
    is the resolution to the issue.

    Best