Professional Web Applications Themes

Help! Which software to buy! - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Hi, I am wanting to start a web business and need to buy software to build my own web-page. After several wks of reading I have come to the conclusion that I probably want to buy either Front Page or Dreamweaver. I use a computer every day (Windows, internet, etc.) but have absolutely no html or page building experience. Can someone please suggest to me a software package that I can learn and put to work? There are like 20 versions of Dreamweaver and the same for FP, which do I need? I would also very much appreciate a link ...

  1. #1

    Default Help! Which software to buy!

    Hi,

    I am wanting to start a web business and need to buy software to build
    my own web-page. After several wks of reading I have come to the
    conclusion that I probably want to buy either Front Page or
    Dreamweaver. I use a computer every day (Windows, internet, etc.) but
    have absolutely no html or page building experience. Can someone
    please suggest to me a software package that I can learn and put to
    work? There are like 20 versions of Dreamweaver and the same for FP,
    which do I need? I would also very much appreciate a link where I
    might buy the software. Thank you very much for all help!

    Kind Regards,

    RM
    RiverMan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help! Which software to buy!

    "RiverMan" <com> wrote in message

    Just waiting until the messages recommending Notepad come along.....

    If you go to Macromedias web site, you can download a 30-day trial of
    Dreamweaver MX (which is the latest verison). Have a play with it, and see
    if it does the job FOR YOU (don't worry about anyone else except you and
    your clients).

    FrontPage is cheaper than Dreamweaver. It *did* have a reputation of
    producing bloated code, but I haven't used it for years, so it would be
    unfair of me to comment on the current product.

    HTH,

    Pete.

    -----
    Peter Connolly
    Acute Computing
    Derby
    UK

    Peter Guest

  3. #3

    On 4 Aug 2003 20:56:11 -0700, com (RiverMan) wrote:

    There are a number of versions of Dreamweaver, but you want the most
    recent version; Dreamweaver MX (6.1). Get it direct from macromedia at
    www.macromedia.com, or try Amazon. Also, have a look on Amazon for a
    good book on Dreamweaver MX. Don't buy frontpage.

    (This is a Dreamweaver newsgroup, so you'd expect us to say that.)

    Paul Taylor
    Paul Guest

  4. #4

    On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 09:05:39 +0100, Jim PKP <com> wrote:

    >Well don't get Frontpage. Its awful rubbish.
    >I would suggest biting the bullet and investing in Macromedia Studio MX,
    >which includes Dreamweaver, Firworks, Flash, ColdFusion and other bits.
    >You'll probably find Dreamweaver by far the easiest for doing simple
    >HTML-based websites without using HTML, and after a few months you could
    >then look at Flash/ColdFusion. Its cheaper to buy the entire studio in
    >one go than to buy the apps bit by bit.
    >
    >Look here:
    >http://dynamic.macromedia.com/bin/MM/store/US/product.jsp?
    >category=/Software/Development/Studios/StudioMX&type=FULL[/ref]

    Good advice! Even if you don't need the other bits of the Studio yet,
    you might do. Even if you don't get to use them till the next upgrade,
    it'll make the upgrade a lot cheaper.

    BTW - any other European users noticed how we can't buy our software
    cheaply on the American sites anymore - at least Macromedia keeps
    directing me to a UK sub-site, where I have to pay VAT! At least it
    keeps the taxman happy.

    Paul Taylor
    Paul Guest

  5. #5

    I will take your advice, going to go make the plunge right now! Thank you to all!

    RM

    Paul Taylor <co.uk> wrote in message news:<com>...

    > There are a number of versions of Dreamweaver, but you want the most
    > recent version; Dreamweaver MX (6.1). Get it direct from macromedia at
    > www.macromedia.com, or try Amazon. Also, have a look on Amazon for a
    > good book on Dreamweaver MX. Don't buy frontpage.
    >
    > (This is a Dreamweaver newsgroup, so you'd expect us to say that.)
    >

    > Paul Taylor[/ref]
    RiverMan Guest