Professional Web Applications Themes

Help with Absolute Layers - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

I've been searching for the answer to this question for the past day or so and I STILL cannot figure it out. The body of my webpage is a centered table. My vision is to have text on top of the image for the banner of my webpage. I want this text to be updated every week or so, therefore I do not want it as a part of the actual image. I've tried using an absolute layer in Dreamweaver to position the text exactly where I want it (top right aligned to the image) and it looks perfect in ...

  1. #1

    Default Help with Absolute Layers

    I've been searching for the answer to this question for the past day or so and
    I STILL cannot figure it out.

    The body of my webpage is a centered table. My vision is to have text on top
    of the image for the banner of my webpage. I want this text to be updated every
    week or so, therefore I do not want it as a part of the actual image.

    I've tried using an absolute layer in Dreamweaver to position the text exactly
    where I want it (top right aligned to the image) and it looks perfect in
    Dreamweaver, but when I go to preview it in IE the text shifts to the right and
    it looks like it is floating outside the table.

    I have been so frustrated these past few days with this... hopefully someone
    can help point me in the right direction! Thank you!

    makt25 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help with Absolute Layers

    > My vision is to have text on top

    It's a flawed vision. Imagine what will happen when I resize that text in
    my browser.

    Correct terminology would be 'absolutely positioned div'. A layer is, by
    definition, absolutely positioned. It is often a div, but not always.

    Actually, the text is NOT shifting. The table is shifting under the text.
    Absolute positioning means what it says - that element is absolutely
    positioned at that location in any browser viewport.

    This is the way of life as you learn HTML and CSS.

    Let's see your page so we can know how you have built the layout, please.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "makt25" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    Here is the link to the site:
    http://www.imagetours.com/IUCOOP061808_New.html

    I wanted the date to stay in the top left corner of the table.

    I understand that its the table thats moving but I was hoping that there was
    some way to keep the layer within the table. I don't need to use a layer but
    that was just the first idea that popped into my head. Thanks!

    makt25 Guest

  4. #4

    Make the image the background of the table cell rather than a foreground
    image, and then you can place text anywhere on it you want.

    Be aware that your usages are very marginal.

    * you have font tags galore
    * you have placed absolutely positioned elements into table cells
    * you have used DW's Layout mode to create your table

    This layout will be trouble for you.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert