Professional Web Applications Themes

Help with Access fields when they are to remain blank - Dreamweaver AppDev

I have some sections of my database that will be left empty. I am trying to update my database via my web admin pages without any success. What should I be telling Access to do so that a field can be blank? Data type is set to number. Required is set to No. I am very much a beginner with databases. Thank you!...

  1. #1

    Default Help with Access fields when they are to remain blank

    I have some sections of my database that will be left empty. I am trying to update my
    database via my web admin pages without any success.

    What should I be telling Access to do so that a field can be blank?

    Data type is set to number. Required is set to No.

    I am very much a beginner with databases.

    Thank you!

    I Need Help! Guest

  2. #2

    The default on a numeric field is 0 rather than an empty value.

    In what way are you having problems with the field

    --
    Regards

    Paul Whitham
    Macromedia Certified Professional for Dreamweaver MX2004
    Valleybiz Internet Design
    [url]www.valleybiz.net[/url]

    Team Macromedia Volunteer for Ultradev/Dreamweaver MX
    [url]www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia[/url]

    "I Need Help!" <iamedia-nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have some sections of my database that will be left empty. I am trying
    to update my
    > database via my web admin pages without any success.
    >
    > What should I be telling Access to do so that a field can be blank?
    >
    > Data type is set to number. Required is set to No.
    >

    > I am very much a beginner with databases.
    >

    > Thank you!

    Paul Whitham TMM Guest

  3. #3

    I have a delete page - that works fine however my update details page does not.

    1. I have many fields in my Access database that are empty. Data type is Number and in
    General, Required is set to No

    2. There is a date entry which appears in Access as 01/12/05 and on the website as
    01/12/2005. locally it appears as 01/05/05

    When I go to my update page, I have three fields which sometimes have numbers and
    sometimes are blank depending on each entry. The list date appears as 1/12/2005, so the
    date changes its' formatting.

    I try to make changes and get an error 500 page. I cannot generate an error message and IE
    is correctly set to accept error pages.

    Should I be changing the formatting for the date in my recordset? Should I make changes to
    Access so that blank fields are allowed?

    I am still a beginner, especially when it comes to Access - but I AM getting there slowly!

    I appreciate any help as I have been updating Access then uploading a very large database
    to the server instead of doing it through the admin pages direct.

    Thanks

    "Paul Whitham TMM" <paulvalleybiz.net> wrote in message
    The default on a numeric field is 0 rather than an empty value.

    In what way are you having problems with the field

    --
    Regards

    Paul Whitham
    Macromedia Certified Professional for Dreamweaver MX2004
    Valleybiz Internet Design
    [url]www.valleybiz.net[/url]

    Team Macromedia Volunteer for Ultradev/Dreamweaver MX
    [url]www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia[/url]

    "I Need Help!" <iamedia-nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have some sections of my database that will be left empty. I am trying
    to update my
    > database via my web admin pages without any success.
    >
    > What should I be telling Access to do so that a field can be blank?
    >
    > Data type is set to number. Required is set to No.
    >

    > I am very much a beginner with databases.
    >

    > Thank you!

    I Need Help! Guest

  4. #4

    Access needs to be set to allow blanks for fields where these are expected.
    Anything that is holding a date should be set as a date field. The best way
    to do updated on date fields is have the format set at YYYY-MM-DD just for
    the update.

    --

    > I have a delete page - that works fine however my update details page does
    not.

    > 1. I have many fields in my Access database that are empty. Data type is
    Number and in
    > General, Required is set to No
    >
    > 2. There is a date entry which appears in Access as 01/12/05 and on the
    website as
    > 01/12/2005. locally it appears as 01/05/05
    >
    > When I go to my update page, I have three fields which sometimes have
    numbers and
    > sometimes are blank depending on each entry. The list date appears as
    1/12/2005, so the
    > date changes its' formatting.
    >
    > I try to make changes and get an error 500 page. I cannot generate an
    error message and IE
    > is correctly set to accept error pages.
    >
    > Should I be changing the formatting for the date in my recordset? Should I
    make changes to
    > Access so that blank fields are allowed?
    >
    > I am still a beginner, especially when it comes to Access - but I AM
    getting there slowly!

    > I appreciate any help as I have been updating Access then uploading a very
    large database
    > to the server instead of doing it through the admin pages direct.
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > "Paul Whitham TMM" <paulvalleybiz.net> wrote in message
    > The default on a numeric field is 0 rather than an empty value.
    >
    > In what way are you having problems with the field
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Paul Whitham
    > Macromedia Certified Professional for Dreamweaver MX2004
    > Valleybiz Internet Design
    > [url]www.valleybiz.net[/url]
    >
    > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Ultradev/Dreamweaver MX
    > [url]www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia[/url]
    >
    > "I Need Help!" <iamedia-nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I have some sections of my database that will be left empty. I am trying
    > to update my
    > > database via my web admin pages without any success.
    > >
    > > What should I be telling Access to do so that a field can be blank?
    > >
    > > Data type is set to number. Required is set to No.
    > >

    > > I am very much a beginner with databases.
    > >

    > > Thank you!

    Paul Whitham TMM Guest

  5. #5

    I tested locally and got the error

    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Cannot update 'ID'; field not updateable.

    Lin 81: MM_editCmd.CommandText = MM_editQuery;

    I do not have the ID field in my form and I am not changing it.

    In Access it is my auto number. Indexed Yes with no duplicates.

    Access needs to be set to allow blanks for fields where these are expected.
    Anything that is holding a date should be set as a date field. The best way
    to do updated on date fields is have the format set at YYYY-MM-DD just for
    the update.

    --
    Regards

    Paul Whitham
    Macromedia Certified Professional for Dreamweaver MX2004
    Valleybiz Internet Design
    [url]www.valleybiz.net[/url]

    Team Macromedia Volunteer for Ultradev/Dreamweaver MX
    [url]www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia[/url]

    "I Need Help!" <iamedia-nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have a delete page - that works fine however my update details page does
    not.

    > 1. I have many fields in my Access database that are empty. Data type is
    Number and in
    > General, Required is set to No
    >
    > 2. There is a date entry which appears in Access as 01/12/05 and on the
    website as
    > 01/12/2005. locally it appears as 01/05/05
    >
    > When I go to my update page, I have three fields which sometimes have
    numbers and
    > sometimes are blank depending on each entry. The list date appears as
    1/12/2005, so the
    > date changes its' formatting.
    >
    > I try to make changes and get an error 500 page. I cannot generate an
    error message and IE
    > is correctly set to accept error pages.
    >
    > Should I be changing the formatting for the date in my recordset? Should I
    make changes to
    > Access so that blank fields are allowed?
    >
    > I am still a beginner, especially when it comes to Access - but I AM
    getting there slowly!

    > I appreciate any help as I have been updating Access then uploading a very
    large database
    > to the server instead of doing it through the admin pages direct.
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > "Paul Whitham TMM" <paulvalleybiz.net> wrote in message
    > The default on a numeric field is 0 rather than an empty value.
    >
    > In what way are you having problems with the field
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Paul Whitham
    > Macromedia Certified Professional for Dreamweaver MX2004
    > Valleybiz Internet Design
    > [url]www.valleybiz.net[/url]
    >
    > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Ultradev/Dreamweaver MX
    > [url]www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia[/url]
    >
    > "I Need Help!" <iamedia-nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I have some sections of my database that will be left empty. I am trying
    > to update my
    > > database via my web admin pages without any success.
    > >
    > > What should I be telling Access to do so that a field can be blank?
    > >
    > > Data type is set to number. Required is set to No.
    > >

    > > I am very much a beginner with databases.
    > >

    > > Thank you!

    I Need Help! Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks.

    I changed all datatypes to text instead of number and changed Allow Zero Length to Yes and
    this works.

    I also have a section for price which has a default of zero in Access so if a price is not
    listed, it looks like this: $0.00. I had the datatype set to Number in Access and in UD it
    was set to currency, 2 decimal places. My predicament is that sometimes the price is 'on
    application' so having $0.00 is not acceptable. How can I overcome this?

    I appreciate this help.

    I Need Help! Guest

  7. #7

    You need to adjust the update behaviour on the page as it has incorrectly
    picked up the ID field. Just doubleclick on the update option in the SB
    panel

    --

> [...]
    > >
    > > In what way are you having problems with the field
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Paul Whitham
    > > Macromedia Certified Professional for Dreamweaver MX2004
    > > Valleybiz Internet Design
    > > [url]www.valleybiz.net[/url]
    > >
    > > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Ultradev/Dreamweaver MX
    > > [url]www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia[/url]
    > >
    > > "I Need Help!" <iamedia-nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have some sections of my database that will be left empty. I am
    trying
    > > to update my
    > > > database via my web admin pages without any success.
    > > >
    > > > What should I be telling Access to do so that a field can be blank?
    > > >
    > > > Data type is set to number. Required is set to No.
    > > >

    > > > I am very much a beginner with databases.

    Paul Whitham TMM Guest

  8. #8

    If the POA applies to all items having a 0 price then you could code an if
    statement on the page like this

    <%
    ThisPrice = recordset.fields.item("price").value
    IF ThisPrice = 0 then
    response.write ("POA")
    Else
    response.write ThisPrice
    End if
    %>

    --

> [...]
    > >
    > > In what way are you having problems with the field
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > Paul Whitham
    > > Macromedia Certified Professional for Dreamweaver MX2004
    > > Valleybiz Internet Design
    > > [url]www.valleybiz.net[/url]
    > >
    > > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Ultradev/Dreamweaver MX
    > > [url]www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia[/url]
    > >
    > > "I Need Help!" <iamedia-nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have some sections of my database that will be left empty. I am
    trying
    > > to update my
    > > > database via my web admin pages without any success.
    > > >
    > > > What should I be telling Access to do so that a field can be blank?
    > > >
    > > > Data type is set to number. Required is set to No.
    > > >

    > > > I am very much a beginner with databases.

    Paul Whitham TMM Guest