Professional Web Applications Themes

Help with correctly removing a corrupt user account - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

I know it's the weekend and everyone is busy, but could anyone help with this topic? I was trying to help someone else in this thread Dee Holmes "Illustrator CS won't open" 5/22/04 2:14pm </cgi-bin/webx?13.3bb43d54/14> I've linked several posts, but I can't find any clearer instructions on this mannor. I thought this should probably be its own thread anyway, since quite a few people are having this problem. It will also come in handy for myself in the future....

  1. #1

    Default Help with correctly removing a corrupt user account

    I know it's the weekend and everyone is busy, but could anyone help with this topic?

    I was trying to help someone else in this thread
    Dee Holmes "Illustrator CS won't open" 5/22/04 2:14pm </cgi-bin/webx?13.3bb43d54/14>

    I've linked several posts, but I can't find any clearer instructions on this mannor.

    I thought this should probably be its own thread anyway, since quite a few people are having this problem.

    It will also come in handy for myself in the future.
    Dee Holmes Guest

  2. #2

    O.K. I found this for Jaguar, do you think it's the same for Panther and all other OSX apps?

    Diagnostic Test For Corrupted Preferences

    Corrupted user preferences is one of the most common problems experienced in OS X. A quick way to tell if that is what is causing your problems is to create a new user.

    Here's How:

    1. In the Apple Menu select System Preferences.
    2. Click on the Show All icon to ensure all preferences are visible.
    3. Single-click on the Accounts icon.
    4. Click on the New User button.
    5. Enter the new User's name, short name, password and password hint (optional). Check "Allow user to administer this machine".
    6. Click on the Ok button.
    7. Quit the System Preferences application by selecting Quit System Prefs in the System Prefs menu .

    Note that you need administrative privileges to create a new user. If you are logged in with a nonadministrative account, first click the lock icon at the bottom of the window and enter an administrator name and password to make changes.

    After you create a new user, log out (under the Apple menu), and then back in as the new user. If the problem(s) you were experiencing are now gone, it is a safe bet that something in your User folder is causing the problem. Most likely it is the preferences file for the application that is having the problems. Preferences files have the suffix ".plist". Try re-starting with OS 9 set as your startup disk, and drag the preference file for the problematic application to the desktop and then restart again with OS X set as the startup disk. A new, fresh copy of the preference file will be automatically created, and the problem should be gone.

    To delete this new user account after you have created it for test purposes:

    1. Startup into OS 9.
    2. Find the "Users" folder. It should be at the root level of your drive.
    3. Open the Users folder and look for the folder with the name of the user you wish to delete.
    4. Drag the folder with that user's name into the trash.
    5. Empty the trash.

    Most folks prefer to keep this new user account around for future testing purposes. But if you prefer to delete it, here is how to do so without having to boot into OS 9, using the terminal.
    <http://forums.osxfaq.com/viewtopic.php?t=5176>
    Dee Holmes Guest

  3. #3

    Check out the utility called Preferential Treatment at this website. It checks for corrupt preference files:

    <http://homepage.mac.com/jonn8/as/>
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I saw that when I was searching. Have you tried it? Does it really work good?
    Dee Holmes Guest

  5. #5

    I've tried it but it found no problems with my preferences. I've had very good luck on the two computers I've run, and rarely have had problems.

    According to the doentation, the program just provides a user interface to a Unix command. Preferences are stored as XML text files so apparently it's easy to test for corruption.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Thanx for the info, Steve.
    Dee Holmes Guest