Professional Web Applications Themes

Help with Earthlink Implementation of PHP - PHP Development

I need some help on executing php on my Earthlink web host. I'm not a programmer, and am using php code from SourceForge.net for viewing GEDCOM (GEnealogical Data COMmunications) files. Their code has been around for a while, and regularly updated; their code is run on many hosts. I've also worked with the programmer there and he too is at a loss as to why I'm having problems with it. Earthlink (Atlanta host site for me) runs multiple versions of php, and requires users to rename file extensions to match the version. SourceForge uses php4. My earthlink host thus requires ...

  1. #1

    Default Help with Earthlink Implementation of PHP

    I need some help on executing php on my Earthlink web host. I'm not a
    programmer, and am using php code from SourceForge.net for viewing GEDCOM
    (GEnealogical Data COMmunications) files. Their code has been around for a
    while, and regularly updated; their code is run on many hosts. I've also
    worked with the programmer there and he too is at a loss as to why I'm
    having problems with it.

    Earthlink (Atlanta host site for me) runs multiple versions of php, and
    requires users to rename file extensions to match the version. SourceForge
    uses php4. My earthlink host thus requires me to rename all files from .php
    to .php4, and any code-calls within files must likewise be renamed. Only
    file names are affected.

    SourceForge's implementation is pretty straight forward. All the files and
    directories are downloaded from their web site. If there are no mods
    required (like my Earthlink restrictions), then the files are simply
    uploaded to the phpGedView director, and write permissions set for two
    specific files, and one specific directory. The owner then points the
    browser at the phpGedView directory and the config.php4 file generates the
    initial startup Admin user, and sets it up for use by the internet at large.
    The Admin user then uploads a GEDCOM file that the setup now uses.

    History for your assessment:
    1. Initially, the code didn't appear to execute on calling the directory.
    The programmer indicated that the text editor is probably adding characters.
    He confirmed that was true (I used MS Notepad), and his mods allowed the
    directory call to read the initiating php file. However, it would not
    perform the required actions, and generated no error codes. After a lot of
    back and forth troubleshooting, the programmer took all my files, made the
    file name changes himself, loaded same on his server and it worked perfectly
    for him. Sent same back to me to simply upload to my Earthlink server, but
    exactly the same problem. I gave up for a while.

    2. Just downloaded today the newest solid version, made the file extension
    changes, and uploaded. Same problem, as initially.

    Questions, and hopefully Your Feedback on How to Implement this Relatively
    Simple Execution:

    3. I'm now using ConTEXT as my text editor. Is this part of the problem in
    that it's adding hidden characters that's preventing the php code from
    executing? Any recommendation?

    4. Even after getting the initial configuration php code to work (para 1
    above), the code would not function, and produced no error outputs; just
    returned to the initial screen. There were some fill-in fields, and the data
    was accepted from the keyboard, but no evidence of executing anything on
    execution. Typically in SourceForge's FAGs that's the result of faulty
    permissions on the one directory and/or two files. However, I set all three
    to 777 so as to ensure no permission restructions. However, on viewing the
    directory where the initial output was to be written, there is no evidence
    of file creation; this tells me that the code is not executing.

    5. Earthlink tells me that the code should execute properly with only the
    file name changes made, and has looked at it but refuses to make any
    assessments. However, I know the code works elsewhere. Maybe I'm doing
    something wrong, or maybe there is some nuance that is required. I'm hoping
    that someone here has some experience with the Earthlink implementation that
    requires file name changes. By the way, in Earthlink's own words, "For
    example, you the following tag: <?php phpinfo()?> in a file called
    example.php4 and it will execute." Additionally, for the various php
    versions, Earthlink supports them similarly as "Earthlin supports three
    versions 2.x, 3.x and 4.x of PHP. Your PHP scripts are denoted by their
    extension, either .phtml or .php3 or .php4. PHP files using the extension
    ..phtml will be interpreted by PHP 2.0. PHP files using the extension .php3
    will be interpreted by PHP 3.0 and using the extension .php4 will be
    interpreted by PHP 4.0. PHP 2.x is supported only for backward compatibility
    for customers who already use it, and will be phased out at some point in
    the future. We strongly recommend that new customers use version 3.0 (.php3)
    or 4.0(.php4)."

    Thanks in advance for anyone who has some experience with Earthlink's
    implementation and can shed some light on this.

    Jim Hankins

    Jim Hankins Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help with Earthlink Implementation of PHP

    Jim Hankins <JimCottageHill.com> wrote:
    > I need some help on executing php on my Earthlink web host. I'm not a
    > programmer, and am using php code from SourceForge.net for viewing GEDCOM
    > (GEnealogical Data COMmunications) files. Their code has been around for a
    > while, and regularly updated; their code is run on many hosts. I've also
    > worked with the programmer there and he too is at a loss as to why I'm
    > having problems with it.
    [snip]
    > 4. Even after getting the initial configuration php code to work (para 1
    > above), the code would not function, and produced no error outputs; just
    > returned to the initial screen. There were some fill-in fields, and the
    > data was accepted from the keyboard, but no evidence of executing anything
    > on execution.
    [snip]
    > [...]and using the extension .php4 will be
    > interpreted by PHP 4.0. PHP 2.x is supported only for backward
    > compatibility for customers who already use it, and will be phased out at
    > some point in the future. We strongly recommend that new customers use
    > version 3.0 (.php3) or 4.0(.php4)."
    Hi Jim,

    Just a guess:
    From PHP 4.2 onwards register_globals was set to Off by default and the
    super-global arrays $_GET, $_POST, etc., were only introduced in PHP 4.1.0.
    What version of PHP is Earthlink running?

    JOn
    --
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
    War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

    Jon Kraft Guest

  3. #3

    Jon,

    Thanks for the review and input.

    Oddly, since my post, SourceForge.net came out with an update to the
    phpGedView code. I downloaded it, change the file names to .php4, uploaded
    as ASCII, and it all worked!!! Right now, I don't know if Earthlink fixed
    something, SourceForge modified something, or I overlooked something. The
    only novice in the three is me, so I guess I'd put my money on me being the
    culprit <chuckle>.

    Again, thanks for the reply.

    Jim

    "Jon Kraft" <jonjonux.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Jim Hankins <JimCottageHill.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I need some help on executing php on my Earthlink web host. I'm not a
    > > programmer, and am using php code from SourceForge.net for viewing
    GEDCOM
    > > (GEnealogical Data COMmunications) files. Their code has been around for
    > > while, and regularly updated; their code is run on many hosts. I've also
    > > worked with the programmer there and he too is at a loss as to why I'm
    > > having problems with it.
    > [snip]
    > > 4. Even after getting the initial configuration php code to work (para 1
    > > above), the code would not function, and produced no error outputs; just
    > > returned to the initial screen. There were some fill-in fields, and the
    > > data was accepted from the keyboard, but no evidence of executing
    anything
    > > on execution.
    > [snip]
    > > [...]and using the extension .php4 will be
    > > interpreted by PHP 4.0. PHP 2.x is supported only for backward
    > > compatibility for customers who already use it, and will be phased out
    at
    > > some point in the future. We strongly recommend that new customers use
    > > version 3.0 (.php3) or 4.0(.php4)."
    >
    > Hi Jim,
    >
    > Just a guess:
    > From PHP 4.2 onwards register_globals was set to Off by default and the
    > super-global arrays $_GET, $_POST, etc., were only introduced in PHP
    4.1.0.
    > What version of PHP is Earthlink running?
    >
    > JOn
    > --
    > I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World
    > War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    > -- Albert Einstein

    Jim Hankins Guest