Professional Web Applications Themes

Help with inserting transparant images - Microsoft Access

Grab Stephen Leban's download at: [url]http://www.lebans.com/transparent.htm[/url] -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia. Tips for Access users - [url]http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html[/url] Reply to the newsgroup. (Email address has spurious "_SpamTrap") "Barca" <TomBizIncorporated.com> wrote in message news:04a701c347fa$c55edb30$a301280aphx.gbl... > I have create a number of gif files on a transparant > background within Photoshop. I wish to insert them onto > an Access form, but they show with a white background. I > have done this many times before, but can't figure out > what is different this time. > > When I insert the same pictures in Powerpoint or > FrontPage, ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Help with inserting transparant images

    --
    Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.
    Tips for Access users - [url]http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html[/url]
    Reply to the newsgroup. (Email address has spurious "_SpamTrap")

    "Barca" <TomBizIncorporated.com> wrote in message
    > I have create a number of gif files on a transparant
    > background within Photoshop. I wish to insert them onto
    > an Access form, but they show with a white background. I
    > have done this many times before, but can't figure out
    > what is different this time.
    >
    > When I insert the same pictures in Powerpoint or
    > FrontPage, they show as transparant.

    Allen Browne Guest

  2. #2

    Yes, I had tried Leban's convertor. But his resultant
    images are not very clean.
    Photoshop produces a nice clean image with a transparant
    background. But it doesn't export into the EMFormat like
    Leban. Is there another file type that ACCESS can import
    correctly?

    Barca Guest

  3. #3

    If you are seeing any quality problems with my Transparent MDB then
    simply change the letter case of the filename extension for the
    transparent EMF file you create.
    For example.
    test.EMF
    to test.emf
    or vice versa.

    This is an issue with Access and the Office Graphics filters and is not
    a problem with my solution. I am also updating the Transparent MDB in a
    couple of weeks. THe sizing algorithm is not accurate. I have recently
    discovered the proper methodology to calculate the dimensions as is
    explained in the updated LoadJpegGif solution here:
    [url]http://www.lebans.com/loadjpeggif.htm[/url]

    Here's some more detail on the Image quality issue issue.

    ' If the file extension is in uppercase then the Office Graphics filters
    ' will be used to load the image. If the file extension is in lowercase
    ' then Access does not use the Office Graphics filters. This applies
    ' to Bitmap and Enhanced Metafiles.
    ' For Bitmaps you want Access to use the Office Graphics filters
    ' but for EMF's you do not.
    ' Notice the opposite results for the handling of Bitmap for EMF Images.
    ' Uppercase EMF = Office Graphics filter - Poor results for EMF's
    containing full color bitmaps
    ' Lowercase emf = bypass Office Graphics filters - Normal results
    ' Uppercase BMP = Office Graphics filter - Normal results
    ' Lowercase bmp = bypass Office Graphics filters - Poor results for
    BMP's containing full color bitmaps
    ' It does not matter the letter case of the Image's file extension on
    your hard drive. Access looks at the
    ' filename you enter via the GUI or programmatically for the Picture
    property of the Image control.

    --

    HTH
    Stephen Lebans

    > Yes, I had tried Leban's convertor. But his resultant
    > images are not very clean.
    > Photoshop produces a nice clean image with a transparant
    > background. But it doesn't export into the EMFormat like
    > Leban. Is there another file type that ACCESS can import
    > correctly?

    Stephen Lebans Guest

  4. #4

    I don't have any problems with the quality of the
    Transparent.MDB app. I think it is a pretty neat tool.

    But I tried to change the case of the extension and the
    results were interesting. (Eventhough I don't understand
    it.)

    I took 2 gif files that I created on transparant
    backgrounds within Photoshop. Imported them into
    Powerpoint and they show up as transparant without a
    problem.

    I take these same files and insert them into Access and
    they show as having a white box background. Then I use
    Transparent.MDB to import the files and convert them. The
    imported file shows as having a white box background and
    the converted images are transparant, but with white
    scratches around the image. I rename the files .GIF and
    import them. The imported image still shows a white box
    background, but the converted image is clean.

    So I take the resulting emf file into Access and it shows
    as having a white box background. But after I rename
    it .EMF, it works.

    This is usable for my application, but the image is a
    little degraded in this process. So if I could fix Access
    to act like Powerpoint, I would be grateful.

    benefit.

    >"Barca" <TomBizIncorporated.com> wrote in message
    >> Yes, I had tried Leban's convertor. But his resultant
    >> images are not very clean.
    >> Photoshop produces a nice clean image with a transparant
    >> background. But it doesn't export into the EMFormat
    like
    >> Leban. Is there another file type that ACCESS can
    import
    >> correctly?

    Barca Guest

  5. #5

    I still do not understand your issue. Could you send me:
    1) The original GIF file
    2) The resultant EMF created from my Transparent MDB.

    --

    HTH
    Stephen Lebans

    > I don't have any problems with the quality of the
    > Transparent.MDB app. I think it is a pretty neat tool.
    >
    > But I tried to change the case of the extension and the
    > results were interesting. (Eventhough I don't understand
    > it.)
    >
    > I took 2 gif files that I created on transparant
    > backgrounds within Photoshop. Imported them into
    > Powerpoint and they show up as transparant without a
    > problem.
    >
    > I take these same files and insert them into Access and
    > they show as having a white box background. Then I use
    > Transparent.MDB to import the files and convert them. The
    > imported file shows as having a white box background and
    > the converted images are transparant, but with white
    > scratches around the image. I rename the files .GIF and
    > import them. The imported image still shows a white box
    > background, but the converted image is clean.
    >
    > So I take the resulting emf file into Access and it shows
    > as having a white box background. But after I rename
    > it .EMF, it works.
    >
    > This is usable for my application, but the image is a
    > little degraded in this process. So if I could fix Access
    > to act like Powerpoint, I would be grateful.

    Stephen Lebans Guest

  6. #6

    Tom my software is making an exact copy of your source GIF file. It does
    not enhance/degrade the quality of the original image at all. Your issue
    is with the conversion from the original Photoshop file to the GIF
    format. You need to spend some time modifying the original Image in
    Photoshop to allow for a cleaner conversion.

    --

    HTH
    Stephen Lebans

    Stephen Lebans Guest

  7. #7

    No, the original image is good. The problem is that I
    can't import into Access, but I can into Powerpoint.
    Aren't they using the same graphics filter?

    Barca Guest