    Default Re: Help with layers

    Removed by Administrator
    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    Learn JavaScript... properly learning something (instead of plugging in
    something done by somebody else) will greatly enhance your understanding of
    the medium and growth as a designer. You'll be able to do new, unique
    things, instead of only duplicate what has gone before.

    rob :: digitalburn Guest

  4. #4

    Default Help With Layers

    I would like the SWF to play behind the drop down menus. Someone gave me the
    sugestion of using layers. So I created a layer and set the SWF Z-index to -1
    and it still doesn't work.

    [url]http://www.beholdme.com/test/index.htm[/url]

    Any Suggestions?

    s2aebelt Guest

  5. #5

    > So I created a layer and set the SWF Z-index to -1

    That can't work.

    All Active content on a page will always rise to the top, so to speak,
    including Flash, certain form elements, Java applets, and Active X controls.
    This means that each of these will poke through layers. There is not a good
    cross-browser/platform reliable way to solve this issue, but if you can be
    confident in your visitors using IE 5+ or NN6+, then you can use the Flash
    wmode parameter.

    MM articles:
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/doents/flash_top_layer.htm[/url]
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/doents/wmode.htm[/url]

    Aziz's solution -
    [url]http://www.bezworks.com/lab/opaque.htm[/url]

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "s2aebelt" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    >I would like the SWF to play behind the drop down menus. Someone gave me
    >the
    > sugestion of using layers. So I created a layer and set the SWF Z-index
    > to -1
    > and it still doesn't work.
    >
    > [url]http://www.beholdme.com/test/index.htm[/url]
    >
    > Any Suggestions?

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks I will try this and tell you how it goes.

    Thanks Again.
    s2aebelt Guest

  7. #7

    Good luck!

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > Thanks I will try this and tell you how it goes.
    >
    > Thanks Again.

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  8. #8

    Hi everyone,

    I need some help with a layering issue. I'm trying to make some fly-out menus
    from a vertical menu bar on the left side of the page. I have the menus appear
    and disappearing correctly as long as you're mousing over anything on the menu
    bar; but when you mouse over the main body of the page without going back to
    the main menu bar, then the fly-out menu stays on the page and won't disappear.
    I've never had this problem with fly-outs before... I haven't done a lot of
    them, but I checked and checked the code and don't know what's wrong.

    I have the z-index set so that the layer for the images that call the fly-out
    menus onMouseOver is set to 9, the layers that are supposed to hide the
    fly-outs again after you mouse away from them are set to z-index of 10, and the
    fly-outs themselves are set to z-index 11.

    Also, in Internet Explorer there is a problem where one row is too large
    (height). It looks fine in Netscape, exactly to the height that I set it with
    the <tr> tag and an image that is used in that row as well. I have some text in
    it, but the text is set to a CSS style that has no extra padding and where the
    font size is quite small. It shouldn't disrupt the overall height of the row.
    The problem is, this makes some of the fly-out menu layers below appear in the
    wrong position on the page (too high up). Any suggestions.

    The URL for the page I'm struggling with is
    [url]http://www.walshcarlines.com/new/template2.html[/url].

    I'm so, so stuck and would really appreciate some help. Thank you in advance
    very much!

    Tracy

    Softrak Guest

  9. #9

    Buy one of the menuing systems from [url]www.ProjectSeven.com[/url].

    The code is bullet proof, there's a DW extension, and they're cheap.
    DW_Steve Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks for the tip! Fortunately, though, I managed to resolve my menu problem
    just today, so all's good now. Well, NS and IE still don't place the fly-outs
    in identical places (about 4 pixels difference) but that's liveable for me.

    Softrak Guest

  11. #11

    Heres the situation so far, I've got a page(page1) that has a drop down box
    with the items "plan1" "plan2" and "plan3" that a user can select. I have
    another page (page2) which has three different layers corresponding to each
    drop down selection.

    What I want is for the user to be able to chose plan2 click next and be taken
    to the next page which will dispaly the plan2 layer but hide the other 2
    layers. Any ideas as i'm really stuck?

    Thanks!

    Snake*byte Guest

  12. #12

    I am trying to create layers of larger images that appear when the mouse rolls
    over the thumb nails. My problem is that the images don't line up the same from
    browser to browser. Anyone out there have a possible solution?

    the problem can be viewed at
    [url]http://www.nobledesigns.com/silvermuse/person.html[/url]... note, the images are
    aligned perfectly in Dreamweaver...

    litespeed2002 Guest

  13. #13

    sorry, correct url is

  14. #14

    Don't do this that way.

    Take a look here -

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/[/url]

    and find the ShowPic extension - a great way to do such things....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "litespeed2002" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to create layers of larger images that appear when the mouse
    >rolls
    > over the thumb nails. My problem is that the images don't line up the same
    > from
    > browser to browser. Anyone out there have a possible solution?
    >
    > the problem can be viewed at
    > [url]http://www.nobledesigns.com/silvermuse/person.html[/url]... note, the images are
    > aligned perfectly in Dreamweaver...

    Murray *ACE* Guest