Professional Web Applications Themes

Help with Leafnode filters - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello again, Now that I have my local Leafnode News working, I tried to setup some filters. This is what my filters file looks like: ^Newsgroups:.*[, ]alt.flame$ ^Newsgroups:.*[, ]alt.flame, ^Newsgroups:.*[, ].*erotic.* I added the last line to avoid download or attempting to download anything from newsgroups with the text "*erotic*". For testing, I subscribed to one of the groups and it started to download news items from that group. I thought the filter is supposed to block that. How can I configure Leafnode not download any groups with some text such as *erotic* or *binaries* etc? Also, how can I ...

  1. #1

    Default Help with Leafnode filters

    Hello again,

    Now that I have my local Leafnode News working, I tried to setup some
    filters. This is what my filters file looks like:

    ^Newsgroups:.*[, ]alt.flame$
    ^Newsgroups:.*[, ]alt.flame,
    ^Newsgroups:.*[, ].*erotic.*

    I added the last line to avoid download or attempting to download
    anything from newsgroups with the text "*erotic*".

    For testing, I subscribed to one of the groups and it started to
    download news items from that group. I thought the filter is supposed
    to block that.

    How can I configure Leafnode not download any groups with some text such
    as *erotic* or *binaries* etc?

    Also, how can I delete these files that were downloaded by Leafnode? I
    have unsubscribed from that group. Does that mean Leafnode will clean
    up and delete those files OR do I have to login as root and delete them
    manually?

    Thank you in advance for any help.

    --
    Subba Rao
    Old American Wild West saying: God created men but Colt made them equal.

    Subba Rao Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help with Leafnode filters

    Subba Rao wrote:
    > Hello again,
    >
    > Now that I have my local Leafnode News working, I tried to setup some
    > filters. This is what my filters file looks like:
    >
    > ^Newsgroups:.*[, ]alt.flame$
    > ^Newsgroups:.*[, ]alt.flame,
    > ^Newsgroups:.*[, ].*erotic.*
    >
    > I added the last line to avoid download or attempting to download
    > anything from newsgroups with the text "*erotic*".
    >
    > For testing, I subscribed to one of the groups and it started to
    > download news items from that group. I thought the filter is supposed
    > to block that.
    >
    > How can I configure Leafnode not download any groups with some text such
    > as *erotic* or *binaries* etc?
    >
    > Also, how can I delete these files that were downloaded by Leafnode? I
    > have unsubscribed from that group. Does that mean Leafnode will clean
    > up and delete those files OR do I have to login as root and delete them
    > manually?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any help.

    I have never used any filters so I can't help you with that. Seems that you
    should subscribe to Leafnode's mailing list, which is VERY busy. Go to
    [url]http://www.leafnode.org[/url] .

    As regards the exisitng messages, these are deleted by the texpire
    executable after the maximum number of days set by your config. file. If
    you don't touch that ng again with your newsreader, downloading will stop
    after 7 days. To stop downloading now, go to
    /var/spool/news/interesting.groups/ as root and delete the entries for the
    groups you don't want. This will only stop leafnode from fetching those
    groups. Existing messages will still be expired by texpire. You should set
    up texpire as a cron job. Instructions are in the INSTALL file.

    HTH,

    Doug.

    --
    Registered Linux user No. 277548.
    Linux: in a world without fences, who needs Gates?

  3. #3

    On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 Subba Rao wrote:

    Another tip: No need to X post to so many different groups. I think
    there is enough knowledge base in c.o.l.s and/or c.o.l.m to answer most
    questions.

    FUT: c.o.l.s
    >Now that I have my local Leafnode News working, I tried to setup some
    >filters. This is what my filters file looks like:
    >
    >^Newsgroups:.*[, ]alt.flame$
    >^Newsgroups:.*[, ]alt.flame,
    >^Newsgroups:.*[, ].*erotic.*
    [....]
    >How can I configure Leafnode not download any groups with some text
    >such as *erotic* or *binaries* etc?
    Filters are applied on the news articles that are fetched. Not on the
    newsgroups themselves, I think. Try this option instead

    'only_groups_pcre = PCRE' from 'man leafnode'

    E.G : Put this in the 'config' file below your server name.

    only_groups_pcre = corel\.

    So with this leafnode only fetches groups with the name corel. The
    opposite of filters kinda. So you do something like

    only_groups_pcre = alt\.
    only_groups_pcre = comp\.
    only_groups_pcre = linux\.

    etc., I am not sure about the syntax/usage so try different things.

    Let us know if this works.
    >Also, how can I delete these files that were downloaded by Leafnode?
    You expire them or delete the folder. Check 'expire' and 'groupexpire'

    and [url]http://www.leafnode.org/faq.html#18[/url]
    >I have unsubscribed from that group. Does that mean Leafnode will
    >clean up and delete those files OR do I have to login as root and
    >delete them manually?
    No. It uses a different logic.

    See [url]http://www.leafnode.org/faq.html#16[/url]
    Vwakes Guest

  4. #4

    Subba Rao wrote:
    > Hello again,
    >
    > Now that I have my local Leafnode News working, I tried to setup some
    > filters. This is what my filters file looks like:
    >
    > ^Newsgroups:.*[, ]alt.flame$
    > ^Newsgroups:.*[, ]alt.flame,
    > ^Newsgroups:.*[, ].*erotic.*
    >
    > I added the last line to avoid download or attempting to download
    > anything from newsgroups with the text "*erotic*".
    >
    > For testing, I subscribed to one of the groups and it started to
    > download news items from that group. I thought the filter is supposed
    > to block that.
    >
    > How can I configure Leafnode not download any groups with some text such
    > as *erotic* or *binaries* etc?
    >
    > Also, how can I delete these files that were downloaded by Leafnode? I
    > have unsubscribed from that group. Does that mean Leafnode will clean
    > up and delete those files OR do I have to login as root and delete them
    > manually?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any help.

    Further to what I have just written, do you need those filters? You said
    originally that you only wanted a few groups. On that case, you subscribe
    only to the groups that you want. With your newsreader, subscribe to those
    groups. For each group, you will see a default placeholder. Make sure
    that it is marked as read. Those groups will be the only ones downloaded.

    Doug.

  5. #5

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 22:51:25 -0400, Subba Rao wrote:
    > Now that I have my local Leafnode News working, I tried to setup some
    > filters. This is what my filters file looks like:
    >
    > ^Newsgroups:.*[, ]alt.flame$
    > ^Newsgroups:.*[, ]alt.flame,
    Are these filters working as expected?
    > ^Newsgroups:.*[, ].*erotic.*
    Check the headers. Maybe the space between the colon and the newsgroup
    is being omitted? Anyway, try this filter instead:

    ^Newsgroups:.*erotic

    Ed Murphy Guest

  6. #6

    [Followup-To set]

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 22:51:25 -0400, Subba Rao
    <sailornattglobal.net> wrote:
    <snip>
    > Now that I have my local Leafnode News working, I tried to setup some
    > filters. This is what my filters file looks like:
    <snip>

    Join the Leafnode mailing list. The developers all read that list and
    it's one of the most helpful product-specific mailing lists I've ever
    been on. And.... <shock horror> discussion of Leafnode is *on-topic*
    there. It certainly *isn't* in alt.os.linux.slackware

    Carl
    --
    "..as to who I am now, if you're prompted to ask: I'm the ghost of my
    future and the sum of my past."

  7. #7

    Subba Rao <sailornattglobal.net> writes:
    > Hello again,
    >
    > Now that I have my local Leafnode News working, I tried to setup some
    > filters. This is what my filters file looks like:
    >
    > ^Newsgroups:.*[, ]alt.flame$
    > ^Newsgroups:.*[, ]alt.flame,
    > ^Newsgroups:.*[, ].*erotic.*
    >
    > I added the last line to avoid download or attempting to download
    > anything from newsgroups with the text "*erotic*".
    >
    > For testing, I subscribed to one of the groups and it started to
    > download news items from that group. I thought the filter is supposed
    > to block that.
    >
    > How can I configure Leafnode not download any groups with some text
    > such as *erotic* or *binaries* etc?
    I believe the filters work on individual messages and not entire
    newsgroups. If the filter above works, leafnode will let users join
    any newsgroup but the filter will prevent them from seeing any
    messages in those groups.

    > Also, how can I delete these files that were downloaded by Leafnode?
    > I have unsubscribed from that group. Does that mean Leafnode will
    > clean up and delete those files OR do I have to login as root and
    > delete them manually?
    Leafnode will automatically delete those messages after a certain
    number of days. It depends what the expire value is in the leafnode
    config file.
    Colin Guest