Professional Web Applications Themes

Help with Performa floppy - Mac Applications & Software

Hello, Newbie to the Mac world here... I recently inherited an old Performa 550 I'd like to get up and running but have found the floppy drive is not working. Specifically, it doesn't seem to read any of the (verified OK on another Mac) Mac-formatted discs I have (either 800k or 1.4MB), and doesn't seem able to format discs either. Moreover, it doesn't seem to be able to auto-eject. Basically, I'm thinking it's a dead drive. So, is there anything I can do to replace (or fix?) the drive? More importantly, how on earth do I GET the old drive ...

  1. #1

    Default Help with Performa floppy

    Hello,

    Newbie to the Mac world here... I recently inherited an old Performa 550 I'd
    like to get up and running but have found the floppy drive is not working.
    Specifically, it doesn't seem to read any of the (verified OK on another
    Mac) Mac-formatted discs I have (either 800k or 1.4MB), and doesn't seem
    able to format discs either. Moreover, it doesn't seem to be able to
    auto-eject. Basically, I'm thinking it's a dead drive.

    So, is there anything I can do to replace (or fix?) the drive? More
    importantly, how on earth do I GET the old drive out? The Performa seems to
    have a rather impregnable metal casing once you (no easy task!) take off the
    plastic casing (as much as I can, anyway...). I have replaced drives on PCs,
    but (newbie, remember) the Mac seems a bit daunting.

    On the subject, any suggestions on what drive model I need to get to
    replace? I have seen two models advertised: #661-0474 & #661-0121, but am
    not sure what model exactly I need. Good (and inexpensive) vintage Mac/Mac

    Replacement part vendor recommendations are welcome!

    Any help or general suggestions on ideas for restoring/upgrading/generally
    finding my way around the Performa 550 would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!

    Shawn

    Shawn Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help with Performa floppy

    Thanks Mark!

    I'll take a look and see what I can do!

    Sincerely,
    Shawn
    "Mark S." <net> wrote in message

    Shawn Guest

  3. #3

    In article <_vjUa.301$news.prodigy.com>,
    "Shawn Trimble" <swbell.net> wrote:

    When my floppy drive doesn't read good floppies, I run my floppy
    cleaning disc and that has always fixed it. A bad (dirty) floppy acn
    crud up the heads quickly.

    --
    free men own guns - slaves don't
    nick Guest

  4. #4

    Okay, update here...

    I have swapped the floppy drive out with a known good floppy from a working
    Mac. Still no good. So, am I to assume that the motherboard is bad? Is
    there some other part I should/could replace, or will a new mobo fix it
    (presumably)?

    Thanks,
    Shawn

    "Shawn Trimble" <swbell.net> wrote in message news:...

    >[/ref]

    Shawn Guest

  5. #5

    >Okay, update here...

    What type of Performa is it? There is a known problem with the Performka
    6360's floppy disk drive when you have a USB card installed. The problem is
    software/hardware related.

    --------------
    Vote George W. Bush for President in 2004!
    Vote Arnold Schwarzenegger for California Governor in 2003!

    Crucifyself03 Guest

  6. #6

    Crucifyself03 wrote:
     [/ref]

    You've really got a thing about floppies haven't you.

    Thom

    Thom Guest

  7. #7

    >It's a old Performa 550. No USB card... I just think something (mobo?) is

    Its a 68K Performa. Try contacting Pre-owned electronics www.preowned.com.
    They specialize in old Macintosh hardware.
    --------------

  8. #8

    In article <1fg1b.28$news.prodigy.com>,
    "Shawn Trimble" <swbell.net> wrote:

    Did you swap out the ribbon cable for a new one? They get folded and
    crimped sometimes, and that can break the connection. I'd check that
    before buying a new MB.

    EC

     [/ref]
    > working [/ref]

    > is

    It's not an assault weapon, it's a Sport Utility Rifle!
    El Guest

  9. #9

    That could be it... However, I am having an awful time trying to get the
    ribbon cable removed from the plastic connector bar (that the motherboard
    plugs into). Any suggestions on how to better (easily?) remove this cable?
    It is near impossible with the metal casing surrounding it!

    "El Capitan" <net> wrote: [/ref]
    is [/ref]
    help?

    Shawn Guest

  10. #10

    In article <sp52b.91$news.prodigy.com>,
    "Shawn Trimble" <swbell.net> wrote:
     [/ref]
    > is [/ref]
    > help?
    >
    >[/ref]

    If there's no clips holding the cable into the socket, and you're going
    to replace the cable anyway, just grab the ribbon cable on the sides,
    and slowly pull upwards, rocking it back and forth. That usually works.
    Failing that, or if it's a connector that has a 90 degree turn right at
    the socket, carefully slip a narrow driver blade into the slot and
    just barely pry left & right, to try and pop it loose. You need to be
    real careful, too much force can break the soldered connections on the
    board, or crack the connector housing.
    El Guest