Professional Web Applications Themes

Help with PS7.0 and HP 4c scanner - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

I have an OLD HP 4c, SCSI, scanner that is still chugging along, or has been up until today! I scanned a photo into PS7 in portrait mode from the 4c. When it arrived in PS7.0, it was in landscape! Yikes! I scanned the same photo with just the scanner software and saved as a TIF file...brought it into PS7.0, and it came in portrait as expected. I re-installed the scanner software and PS7.0....didn't help! I'm stuck. Any one have any ideas? THIA Aloha from the Big Island :0) John Scribner...

  1. #1

    Default Help with PS7.0 and HP 4c scanner

    I have an OLD HP 4c, SCSI, scanner that is still chugging along, or has been up until today! I scanned a photo into PS7 in portrait mode from the 4c. When it arrived in PS7.0, it was in landscape! Yikes! I scanned the same photo with just the scanner software and saved as a TIF file...brought it into PS7.0, and it came in portrait as expected. I re-installed the scanner software and PS7.0....didn't help! I'm stuck. Any one have any ideas? THIA

    Aloha from the Big Island :0)

    John Scribner
    John Scribner Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help with PS7.0 and HP 4c scanner

    Using DeskScan 2.9?
    Pretty bizarre.
    Since DS doesn't even have a rotation option, I have no idea why it would
    do that with TWAIN but not stand alone.

    On the other hand, if the scan is good, I'd just maybe live with rotating
    it in PS or doing it in the way you mentioned as standalone and then
    open.

    I still run an indestructable IIcx, which is quite a bit older! And still
    plenty good enough for most of my flat copy needs.

    Mac
    Mac McDougald Guest

  3. #3

    If you think it's a driver problem, try ViewScan. The demo is available at

    <http://www.hamrick.com/>

    I would have thrown out my 4c a couple of years ago if not for this software. Among its many good qualities is the fact that it is NOT a twain interface so you can scan and edit at the same time.
    Ho Guest

  4. #4

    twain

    Technology without an interesting name.
    Thee_DarkOverLord Guest

  5. #5

    > twain
    >
    > Technology without an interesting name.
    Actually, that's tech urban myth.
    Comes from "...and never the twain shall meet".
    This according to official USB consortium.

    Mac
    Mac McDougald Guest

  6. #6

    Mac ... Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry I think I misled you in my description of the problem. When the scan come into PS, it has the dimensions reversed, heigth comes in as width, but the picture stays the way it should and is distorted. I'll check if I can get DS 2.9 as I'm using 2.8 on an old WIN machine running W98. I know, I know, it's just a matter of budget right now! Thanks again.

    Ho ... Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

    Aloha,

    John
    John Scribner Guest

  7. #7

    Mac Downloaded the DS2.9 driver "stuff" from HP, and it fixed the problem! Thanks for the input, I guess I didn't think HP would still have driver "stuff" around for the old scanners. YEA for HP. Thanks agian. My original problem occured with every "print path" type tried, but I did find the "standard FAX print path" in the DS 2.9 to have the DPI resolutions (both horizontal and vertical)to be different sizes, i.e., horiz. 200 DPI and vert. 100 DPI. This was the only "print path" to deliver the strange problem I was having. I changed the horiz. and vert. DPI's to be the same size, it worked. Sorry to ramble on, but it might help someone else in the future.

    Aloha,

    John
    John Scribner Guest

  8. #8

    What version of Windows are you using. I use a 4c with SCSI on Windows XP and Deskscan 2.9 without problems.

    When I first installed XP it put a generic scan software that worked, but then I noticed that histograms were compressed and that I wasn't getting as good color as I had before. After installing Deskscan 2.9 everything went back to normal.
    Martin Smith Guest

  9. #9

    Martin,

    Thanks for the input! I'm on Win 98 for now, as if I upgrade to XP I will have to buy another SCSI card or scrap my old 4c. The scanner has worked ok until just recently, but the DS 2.9 seems to have fixed my immediate problem. Thanks again!

    John
    John Scribner Guest

  10. #10

    Glad it all worked out, John.
    Great old scanner.

    The original SCSI series through maybe the 5 or 6 were the last of the
    good HP scanners. Junk anymore. I never recommend HP scanners now.

    Mac
    Mac McDougald Guest

  11. #11

    This according to official USB consortium.

    Bunch of philistines ;-)
    Thee_DarkOverLord Guest