Professional Web Applications Themes

Help with sizing at percentage - Macromedia Flash Sitedesign

All, I searched using the keyword "percentage" and didn't find my answer. So I'm posting this issue as new. Hope you don't mind. I've created a site in Flash and posted it to the www. It's at www.songwritersguild.com. If you visit the site you'll see that the movie is currently set to load at the pixel size I created it - 1400 by 900. This works fine for those whose screen resolution is set at 800 by 600 (namely, the president of the Guild - he refuses to bring himself into the 20th Century and still runs Windows 98 Version ...

  1. #1

    Default Help with sizing at percentage

    All,

    I searched using the keyword "percentage" and didn't find my answer. So I'm
    posting this issue as new. Hope you don't mind.

    I've created a site in Flash and posted it to the www. It's at
    www.songwritersguild.com. If you visit the site you'll see that the movie is
    currently set to load at the pixel size I created it - 1400 by 900. This works
    fine for those whose screen resolution is set at 800 by 600 (namely, the
    president of the Guild - he refuses to bring himself into the 20th Century and
    still runs Windows 98 Version 1). However, I am getting somewhat legiitimate
    complaints that those who run higher resolutions and don't have perfect vision,
    have a hard time reading the site because it is too small for them at higher
    resolutions. I've spent hours trying to find a publish configuration set that
    will allow me to publish as a percentage of the user's screen resolution. But I
    can't find a single one (even by changing the original pixel size of the layout
    to 800 by 600, 1024 by 768, 1200 by 800, etc) that works. Each version, when
    viewed - once again - at 800 by 600 (which I must make okay since this is what
    the President uses and what a number of others will still use) cuts off part of
    the screen. In other words, when I set the publish at 100 percent, and then
    view at 800 by 600 (other resolutions seem to work okay) I get only a partial
    screen and no way to scroll to see the rest of the screen.

    I've spent days (not hours - but days!) trying to figure this out. Please,
    someone, tell me what to do so that I can create a site that can be read by all
    as a percentage of the screen resolution size. I don't care if I have to
    redesign the page.

    Thanks in advance.

    Laurie Stevens

    laurieannstevens Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help with sizing at percentage

    crikey thats one hell of alot of useless content in the source????? backup
    and delete the entire contents of your index page and replace it with this

    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE>index</TITLE>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY bgcolor="#000033">
    <script language="JavaScript">
    window.onload = maxWindow;

    function maxWindow()
    {
    window.moveTo(0,0);

    if (doent.all)
    {
    top.window.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.avail Height);
    }

    else if (doent.layers||doent.getElementById)
    {
    if
    (top.window.outerHeight<screen.availHeight||top.wi ndow.outerWidth<screen.ava
    ilWidth)
    {
    top.window.outerHeight = screen.availHeight;
    top.window.outerWidth = screen.availWidth;
    }
    }
    }

    </script>

    </head>

    <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
    codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.ca
    b#version=6,0,29,0" width="100%" height="100%">
    <param name="movie" value="index.swf">
    <param name=quality value=high>
    <embed src="index.swf" quality=high
    pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_
    Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"
    height="100%"></embed>
    </object>

    J Guest

  4. #4

    Thank you. I am off to my job now but will try your fix later.

    I know I'm almost completely ignorant of Flash. I happened to have played with
    it a bit when I got it and put up an html site of my own with a small Flash
    movie in it. Then a friend saw it, thought it was cool - said his Guild didn't
    have a lot of money to spend but needed something cool for their membership.
    So, knowing I knew nothing, I picked up a template. He loved it - until he
    found he couldn't load it very fast on his dial up. So he had me continuously
    remove functionality until it's at the messy state it's at now. The HTML I left
    out front because he heard somewhere that Flash pages can't be read by search
    engines most of the time. So, I tried to make him happy - again, all with
    little knowledge.

    My plan is to go back, once the site is at least operational for his people,
    and learn - as I go - how to clean up the site, take out the unneeded portions,
    etc. However, I do wonder....is he right? Is it true that because even the HTML
    files created by Flash are calling for SWF movies that search engines can't
    scan those movies for keywords and links?

    By the way, I'm a former reporter now in marketing. I'm a very good copywriter
    and print designer. So, if I can return the favor with advice in the area with
    which I have some expertise, I'd be glad to. I also technical writing and
    translations in Spanish and French.

    Laurie Stevens

    laurieannstevens Guest

  5. #5

    tell him he's defeating the point of having flash and all thats left is a
    bulky html site!

    if not ill tell him lol

    and they aint paying enuf to be that fussy :)

    "laurieannstevens" <com> wrote in message
    with
    Flash
    didn't
    membership.
    continuously
    left
    search
    people,
    portions,
    HTML
    can't
    copywriter
    with

    J. Guest

  6. #6

    J,

    I'm sure you're no surprised that your fix worked. And probably equally
    unsurprised that while the page will resize itself for the various resolutions
    now, it is completely unreadable at anything smaller than 1024 by 768 (800 by
    600 and 640 by 480, included). I assume this means the inital design or layout
    of the page is too small for those resolutions and that I will have to redesign
    the page and make it larger (odd, though, considering pages generally get
    larger as you decrease resolution). Sooooo....

    If I'm incorrect and there is some other issue at work that you know of,
    please let me know. Again, if I can return the favor, let me know, too. Back to
    my real job now (ah the joys of corporate finance!).

    Laurie Stevens

    laurieannstevens Guest

  7. #7

    Sorry, one more thing....in removing the HTML, does it really mean search engines cannot read the site?
    laurieannstevens Guest

  8. #8

    http://www.songwritersguild.com/test/index.html

    Actually,

    The graphics are fine at 800 by 600 but the text is unreadable. I'm trying
    some different methods for handling text in Flash but if anyone has suggestions
    for fixing the above problem (see it at 800 by 600) then let me know.

    Laurie

    laurieannstevens Guest

  9. #9

    "laurieannstevens"

    engines cannot read the site?

    the key is to get the meta content correct. do a search on google for
    whitsandbaydivers and look at the source

    www.whitsandbaydivers.com

    if you wish to add links to the searchengine crawl add the words used in
    movie section back in but be selective just include a few links and key
    words.

    J Guest