Professional Web Applications Themes

Help with starting XFce4 from KDM login - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I'm trying to get XFce4 working a bit better under the current release of Knoppix, and want to get it going in Debian Woody as well. Problem: I have apt-get'ed all of the various XFce4 files, and XFwm4 automatically shows up as an option at the KDM login screen. But I don't get a desktop, panel or anything else useful. Switching over to another console, top informs me that xfce-mcs-manager and xfwm4 are running. What info I did find online suggested (among other things) editing my ..xsession and .xinitrc files. I simply commented out portions pertaining to XFce 3.x and ...

  1. #1

    Default Help with starting XFce4 from KDM login

    I'm trying to get XFce4 working a bit better under the current release
    of Knoppix, and want to get it going in Debian Woody as well.

    Problem: I have apt-get'ed all of the various XFce4 files, and XFwm4
    automatically shows up as an option at the KDM login screen. But I don't
    get a desktop, panel or anything else useful. Switching over to another
    console, top informs me that xfce-mcs-manager and xfwm4 are running.

    What info I did find online suggested (among other things) editing my
    ..xsession and .xinitrc files. I simply commented out portions pertaining
    to XFce 3.x and replaced them with:

    xfce-mcs-manager
    xfwm4 --daemon
    xfaskbar4 &
    xfdesktop &
    exec xfce4-panel

    Still no luck launching XFwm4 directly from KDM, but... if go to a
    console login, then execute "startx", XMwm4 comes up and seems to work
    perfectly!

    I'll be the first to admit that I don't really know where .xinitrc and
    ..xsession are being invoked, and neither do I have a good grasp on what
    script KDM uses, but I'm assuming it's neither of the above. Help?

    Jeff

    4seasonphoto Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help with starting XFce4 from KDM login

    4seasonphoto (four_season_photo) wrote:
[...]

    I believe this is the script
    "/etc/X11/Xsession.d/20xfree86-common_process-args" which processes
    your "Session Type" selection after your successful kdm login. What is
    on your "Session Type" drop down list? Is it "XFwm4" or "xfwm4"?
    According to the script, the string of the drop down list will be the
    name of the real program to be executed. Your drop down list is
    located in "/etc/kde2/kdm/kdmrc" if you are running Debian Woody
    (stable).
    Alex Yung Guest

  3. #3

    Alex,

    Many thanks, I've got it working! I'm no programmer, but just for grins,
    you can see my kludgy workaround for what I think is probably a slightly
    broken Debian package.

    And so, I had a look at

    /etc/X11/Xsession.d/20xfree86-common_process-args

    And presumed (did I mention that I'm no programmer) that what it's doing
    is simply
    ========================
    If xfwm4 (or any other arbitrary string contained in the appropriate
    section of /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc <-in the case of Knoppix 3.2) exists and
    can be executed

    execute xfwm4

    else do something else
    ========================
    As far as I can see, executing "xfwm4" is normally supposed to launch
    all necessary components without futher fuss, but obviously that isn't
    happening. So in the meantime, I used a script to do the deed, and
    called it "/usr/bin/xfwm4.0"

    #!/bin/bash
    xfce-mcs-manager
    xfwm4 --daemon
    xfaskbar4 &
    xfdesktop &
    exec xfce4-panel

    I then edited /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc, changing the reference to "xfwm4" to
    point to my new script, in this case "xfwm4.0"

    Now XFwm4 launches beautifully from KDM. But I suppose I should email
    the package maintainer about the quirkiness.

    Alex Yung wrote:
    > 4seasonphoto (four_season_photo) wrote:
    > : I'm trying to get XFce4 working a bit better under the current release
    > : of Knoppix, and want to get it going in Debian Woody as well.
    >
    > : Problem: I have apt-get'ed all of the various XFce4 files, and XFwm4
    > : automatically shows up as an option at the KDM login screen. But I don't
    > : get a desktop, panel or anything else useful. Switching over to another
    > : console, top informs me that xfce-mcs-manager and xfwm4 are running.
    >
    > : What info I did find online suggested (among other things) editing my
    > : .xsession and .xinitrc files. I simply commented out portions pertaining
    > : to XFce 3.x and replaced them with:
    >
    > : xfce-mcs-manager
    > : xfwm4 --daemon
    > : xfaskbar4 &
    > : xfdesktop &
    > : exec xfce4-panel
    >
    > : Still no luck launching XFwm4 directly from KDM, but... if go to a
    > : console login, then execute "startx", XMwm4 comes up and seems to work
    > : perfectly!
    >
    > : I'll be the first to admit that I don't really know where .xinitrc and
    > : .xsession are being invoked, and neither do I have a good grasp on what
    > : script KDM uses, but I'm assuming it's neither of the above. Help?
    >
    > : Jeff
    >
    > I believe this is the script
    > "/etc/X11/Xsession.d/20xfree86-common_process-args" which processes
    > your "Session Type" selection after your successful kdm login. What is
    > on your "Session Type" drop down list? Is it "XFwm4" or "xfwm4"?
    > According to the script, the string of the drop down list will be the
    > name of the real program to be executed. Your drop down list is
    > located in "/etc/kde2/kdm/kdmrc" if you are running Debian Woody
    > (stable).
    4seasonphoto Guest

  4. #4

    4seasonphoto wrote:
    > I'm trying to get XFce4 working a bit better under the current release
    > of Knoppix, and want to get it going in Debian Woody as well.
    >
    > Problem: I have apt-get'ed all of the various XFce4 files, and XFwm4
    > automatically shows up as an option at the KDM login screen. But I
    > don't get a desktop, panel or anything else useful. Switching over to
    > another console, top informs me that xfce-mcs-manager and xfwm4 are
    > running.
    >
    > What info I did find online suggested (among other things) editing my
    > .xsession and .xinitrc files. I simply commented out portions
    > pertaining to XFce 3.x and replaced them with:
    >
    > xfce-mcs-manager
    > xfwm4 --daemon
    > xfaskbar4 &
    > xfdesktop &
    > exec xfce4-panel
    >
    > Still no luck launching XFwm4 directly from KDM, but... if go to a
    > console login, then execute "startx", XMwm4 comes up and seems to work
    > perfectly!
    >
    > I'll be the first to admit that I don't really know where .xinitrc and
    > .xsession are being invoked, and neither do I have a good grasp on
    > what script KDM uses, but I'm assuming it's neither of the above.
    > Help?
    >
    > Jeff
    [url]http://docs.kde.org/en/3.1/kdebase/kdm/different-window-managers-with-kdm.ht[/url]
    ml