Professional Web Applications Themes

Help with the basics of setting up permissions for onepage - Macromedia Contribute Connection Administrtion

I am just beginning to explore Contribute (I have been a Dreamweaver user for years) and am in need of a way to provide different users access to updating different pages of one of my sites. I tried to add a role that give one of my users access to a single page within the web site, but it seems to only allow folder permission. I also am somewhat concerned about the connection key ... does this email the user my administrative access information? I don't see anywhere that I am setting up a user/password for them. I would be ...

  1. #1

    Default Help with the basics of setting up permissions for onepage

    I am just beginning to explore Contribute (I have been a Dreamweaver user for
    years) and am in need of a way to provide different users access to updating
    different pages of one of my sites. I tried to add a role that give one of my
    users access to a single page within the web site, but it seems to only allow
    folder permission. I also am somewhat concerned about the connection key ...
    does this email the user my administrative access information? I don't see
    anywhere that I am setting up a user/password for them. I would be concerned
    about sending admin information to a user who should only access and change the
    one page.

    I tried to get book on Contribute with no luck and have already gone through
    the built in tutorial. Anyone have a better suggestion for me to look for the
    basics? Thanks!

    kfildes Guest

  2. #2

    On Oct 14, 11:51pm, "kfildes" <webforumsu...macromedia.com> wrote:
    > I am just beginning to explore Contribute (I have been a Dreamweaver userfor
    > years) and am in need of a way to provide different users access to updating
    > different pages of one of my sites. I tried to add a role that give one of my
    > users access to a single page within the web site, but it seems to only allow
    > folder permission. I also am somewhat concerned about the connection key ....
    > does this email the user my administrative access information? I don't see
    > anywhere that I am setting up a user/password for them. I would be concerned
    > about sending admin information to a user who should only access and change the
    > one page.
    >
    > I tried to get book on Contribute with no luck and have already gone through
    > the built in tutorial. Anyone have a better suggestion for me to look forthe
    > basics? Thanks!
    Contribute appears to send all of the connection details for FTP to
    the site wrapped up in the Connection Key. The key is then imported in
    to the local copy of Contribute to assist with setting the correct
    level of connection when talking to the web server. As long as you
    choose the right key to send your users will get the right level of
    access.

    If you need tighter security you can install the Contribute Publishing
    Server which allows you to control which sections of the site each
    user can edit.

    William
    william.buckley@stcatherines.co.uk Guest

  3. #3

    I'm going to say up front that I don't know Contribute real well, so I might be
    wrong. But, I'll tell you what (I think) I know. :)

    The permissions in Contribute (without the publishing server; don't remember
    if there's more control with the server piece) are pretty limited. Maybe you
    can add tags to pages to limit access? Not sure. Another thing you can do (and
    probably should do) is setup an FTP account for the user on your server. With
    FTP, you can set permissions per folder, per file and per user. When Contribute
    tries to publish something for that user, it would generate an FTP error.

    When you create an connection key, even if you use your admin account, the
    password is encrypted in the key. So, even if the user edits the connection,
    they can't see the password, only change it. But, you are right to be
    concerned. If you set them up with their own FTP account, when you are creating
    the key, you can tell Contribute that you want to provide different creds for
    key and you can put the user's FTP account and password in instead of yours.

    I hope that helps some. Sorry I couldn't be more certain.

    Darkwater234 Guest

  4. #4

    When you click on the "Send Connection Key..." button in the Administer Website
    dialog, it opens the Send Connection Key wizard.
    1) Check the option "Include my FTP username and password." (So it will not
    ask the user for FTP authentication)
    2) Click Next to select the users.
    3) Select the way you want to send the connection key and enter the password.
    (When the user tries to connect using the connection key, it prompts for this
    password.) and send the connection key.
    All the information in the connection key is stored in the encrypted format.

    Dominic Michael Guest

  5. #5

    The way we have our users set-up is that they connect to our web server with
    FTP (each user has their own FTP user ID and password on the web server) and
    their Contribute role corresponds to their department folder (each department
    has it's own folder of web pages). I have created roles for each department
    and when I send a user a connection key, I select the option of "No, I would
    like to customize the connection settings for other users" so that I use their
    FTP login/password for their connection instead of mine and their role also
    gets specified in their connection key. Also, each user has rights to all
    folders on the web server because that was the only way we could get this to
    work with our ISP, however their Contribute role restricts them to their
    specified folder. I hope this is making sense.

    So you can restrict access to a folder or folders, but as far as creating a
    role that only has access to a specific page, I agree, I don't see how to do
    that in Contribute.

    Kathy_OCNC Guest