Professional Web Applications Themes

Helvetica - Adobe Indesign Windows

We are in the process of repurposing some legacy content in an automated composition system. We are desperately seeking a Helvetica OpenType font for the PC or a close approximation. Our need is immediate. Without an acceptable solution we will be forced to fall back to some considerable manual effort. We purchased the Adobe Font Folio but apparently Helvetica is no longer supported. We are using Indesign CS 3.0.1 and Windows 2000 Server. Does anyone have any suggestions?...

  1. #1

    Default Helvetica

    R._Keith_Elliott@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Helvetica

    Here they are:

    <http://store.adobe.com/type/browser/browser_H.jhtml;storesessionid=B41Z1UKBGUMCLQFI0IK RT5GAVDJBIIV1>
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Or here:

    <http://www.linotype.com/526/helvetica-family.html>
    Jonathan_Balza@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Actually, I misspoke. We are looking Type 1 fonts due to the fact that our existing art uses that font and the OpenType versions to not automatically substitute.

    An alternative solution would be to have a way to automatically force the substitution.

    Any ideas?
    R._Keith_Elliott@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Actually, I misspoke. We are looking Type 1 fonts due to the fact that
    our existing art uses that font and the OpenType versions to not automatically
    substitute.

    Adobe does still sell Type 1 fonts. If you click on any font, there's a link to related Type 1 packages. The package you want is Type Basics and Helvetica Light/Black, or the Helvetica Neue family.

    But if you're starting afresh anyway, I'd go for the OpenType fonts.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    A general font question:

    We had to re-image a PC in one of our departments and can not find the original CD-Rom to re-install Times New Roman and some Helvitica fonts. We are using In-Design 2.02.
    Would anyone know how we can copy/install these fonts on one of the workstations that has these fonts already installed?
    We have copied the Times ... fonts into the Fonts folder under the In-Design folder under Adobe in Program Files. To no avail.
    In-Design does not recognize these fonts in the folders.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.
    Jill B.
    Jill_Baumgardner@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    We had to re-image a PC in one of our departments...

    Jill,

    I hope you learned from this experience.

    You should not save projects to your local drive for this an hundreds of other reasons.

    You should also save your publications as a package. Packaging allows you to include the fonts in the publication.

    If the computer is not on a network, a copy of the files should be saved to CD, another partition or any other type of backup drive you can save to.

    The fonts should be copied to the fonts directory. The directory is usually C:\Windows\Fonts. This directory may be different depending on which Operating System you are working with.

    If the fonts you are trying to copy Type1 fonts you'll have to know the correct names and you may need to copy both the PFM and PFB files.

    If you don't see file extensions, you need modify your folder options. Since you didn't mention the operating system you are working under, I will just tell you how it's done under Windows XP.

    With any folder open, on the menu click on Tools>Folder Options>View (this is a tab)>Untick "Hide extensions for known file types" >Apply>Ok

    ~good luck

    Gabriel
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    This is Robert Watson, the application support person for Jill's department.
    I was asked to help retrieve some fonts which In-Design says are missing when Jill opens one of her In-design files.
    There are 2 PCs in Jill's department with In-Design.
    Jill is new to the department.
    Neither PC had the Times ... fonts in the Adobe\In-Design\Fonts folder.
    I copied all of the Times ... font files to the Adobe\Fonts folder to no avail. In-Design stills says the Times... fonts are missing when we open her file.
    Do you know specifically the font file names we should be copying into the Adobe\In-Design\Fonts folder? In-Design says we are missing 3 Times ... fonts.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    P.S. Jill and her associate ALWAYS saves their work to a network drive, never a local C: drive. So we are fortunate the files are backed up each night as well as protected from network staff re-imaging PCs.
    Thanks ahead of time.
    Robert Watson
    Western Southern Life Insurance
    513-629-1563

    P.S.S. We have purchased 2 copies of the fonts over time. We just do not know who has them or where they may be.
    Jill_Baumgardner@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Robert,

    Are you using a font management software, such as ATM 4.1 deluxe, to handle the loading and unloading of your fonts?

    If so, Windows\fonts could contain your font. ATM could be loading your font. InDesign\fonts could be trying to load your font. Two places trying to load the same font could confuse your system. Sometimes we recommend searching for and deleting all instances of the file Adobefnt*.lst and rebooting to clear out confusion.

    Have you tried to use InDesign's Find Font command to wholesale replace a typeface with one of another name? You could replace Times with Times New Roman, for example. I hope I am understanding the scope of your problem.

    Mike Witherell in Washington DC
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  10. #10

    Two places trying to load the same font could confuse your system.

    I agree, if you have the fonts in the InDesign\Fonts directory, move them to the Windows\Fonts directory.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest