Professional Web Applications Themes

Hey all, got a general question - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

Well hello all u peeps. Been awhile since i got here, evensince i got fired from my last job. In the last couple of months ive been thinking of re-starting my own studio (ive been doin stuff in my free time). So now im checking the latest macs and software because i own a pc at home. The pc has done the job so far but i prefer working on a mac (im spoiled). That, and some of my clients will have mac-files, and platformbased fonts to go with that. Is it smart to buy a mac now with CS2? ...

  1. #1

    Default Hey all, got a general question

    Well hello all u peeps.

    Been awhile since i got here, evensince i got fired from my last job. In the last couple of months ive been thinking of re-starting my own studio (ive been doin stuff in my free time). So now im checking the latest macs and software because i own a pc at home. The pc has done the job so far but i prefer working on a mac (im spoiled). That, and some of my clients will have mac-files, and platformbased fonts to go with that.

    Is it smart to buy a mac now with CS2? I mean, CS3 will come soon i guess (any rumors?) and that one will be native. In a few months prices can drop of hardware and i dont want to emulate photoshop. I regularly have files of 600-800 mb and im aprehensive about the expected speeddrops.
    Also, how does extensis suitcase behave?

    Been reading up on stuff lately but i want to ask the guys in the field so to speak.

    Thanks for any advice.
    maarten@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hey all, got a general question

    I get the impression that we may see some real speed bumps with CS3 combined with the Intel Macs. Currently, there doesn't seem to be any advantage having CS2 on an Intel Mac, even some drawbacks.

    I can only presume CS3 will be out within the next 4-8 months, but others may know better.

    As for Suitcase and Font Agent Pro, the jury's out. Both have their merits and their advocates. I've tried both and I can't decide which is better. I think I prefer Suitcase, it just seems more me.
    DavidT Guest

  3. #3

    Adobe has already announced CS3 for second quarter 07.

    Bob
    Bob Levine Guest

  4. #4

    I think they've announced that as a target, Bob, which isn't quite the same thing.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Depends on how badly you need to start making money with your new Mac. If you need to start soon, well you don't have a lot of choice, new Intel Mac and CS2 and do the best you can until CS3. It's a pi**er to have to upgrade after 6 months, but hopefully you will make that money up on a job or two.
    SuperMacGuy@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Well, they said Acrobat 8 for 4th quarter 06 at the same time and that's
    looking pretty good right now.

    Bob
    Bob Levine Guest

  7. #7

    So it seems a really bad time to either buy a mac or CS2. I gotta decide this week, either im gonna start up again or not. Had an appointment this morning.I now got a client for 16 hours a week garanteed (still gotta make somekind of contract for it though). Right after that meeting i bump into an ex-client of my former employer. After having coffee and some chit-chat he invited me to talk to the financial guy next week. Seems they have loads of work for me!

    Sooo... things look really good. But i hate to buy a mac and work with almost "legacy" software, with the drawbacks of compatability. Then pay to upgrade for software on a mac that is then a half-year old and probably already 1/6 less valuable.

    See my point?

    ps: oh and if im gonna get the second guy to become my client, i would LOVE to rub it in with my ex-boss. Prolly shouldnt do that though ;)
    maarten@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    ps: oh and if im gonna get the second guy to become my client, i would LOVE to rub it in with my ex-boss. Prolly shouldnt do that though.

    I do know how you feel, but the best form of action is just to do well. Eventually those feelings will resolve themselves and you will be glad you got fired. I was there and now 5 years later, I hold no ill will towards those people.

    Ken
    Kenneth_Lasley@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Yup...Seconded.

    NEVER burn a bridge. The company that fired me is now a client. <g>

    Bob
    Bob Levine Guest

  10. #10

    Kenneth and Robert;

    Youre both right. Seriously, i was just kidding. I dont hold a grudge towards the company, its all just business.

    I wont be coming in one day popping coworker by coworker with my fully loaded AK47, wreaking havoc and destruction whilst laughing insanely.

    .... ehm... sorry... i got issues. ;) lol
    maarten@adobeforums.com Guest