Professional Web Applications Themes

Hi-speed video question - Mac Applications & Software

Hello everyone! Attention, newbie ahead. :) Quick question, does anyone know of an application to play back video captured with a hi-speed camera? I got these video files of a biomechanical ysis from my clinic and would love to view them either on my Powerbook (G4, 864MB RAM, OS 10.2.3) or even my G4 at work (OS 9.2). The files I got are .AVIs plus .EVT files (no clue what these do). QT lets me view the files at normal speed, but I would love to see them in slow motion (they were captured with a special hi-speed camera). The ...

  1. #1

    Default Hi-speed video question

    Hello everyone! Attention, newbie ahead. :)

    Quick question, does anyone know of an application to play back video
    captured with a hi-speed camera? I got these video files of a biomechanical
    ysis from my clinic and would love to view them either on my Powerbook
    (G4, 864MB RAM, OS 10.2.3) or even my G4 at work (OS 9.2).

    The files I got are .AVIs plus .EVT files (no clue what these do). QT lets
    me view the files at normal speed, but I would love to see them in slow
    motion (they were captured with a special hi-speed camera).

    The doc gave me a PC shareware app to view the files with, MicroSys
    PowerPlay LE. I have contacted micro-sys.com to ask if they have any Mac SW
    but I highly doubt it.

    I hope I've made myself clear and would be very happy if anyone has any
    pointers!

    cheers,
    nina

    nina Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hi-speed video question

    >nina stössinger eschewed 9/4/03 4:02 AM:

    Hi Nina.! ,; ?) Really don't think your G4 Mac's matter any
    as the real answer lays with QT(quicktime®) which allows play
    of a maximum of 30fps(frames per sec). That's the whole bit.!
    No - the answer lays in "how many fps the original AVI"was made with.
    But first you must understand that an AVI is only a .MOV that
    has "digital wrapper" around it - it's still just a regular MOV file.

    That means the original AVI(MOV) must include all the appropriate
    frames and NOT just the 50%(or half) that apearently this AVI has.
    You must do "direct digital transfer"-and not "digitized/captured"
    as that automatically limits 'fps' to 30 per sec - resulting *lost footage*.
    The one way to possibly "digitized/capture" that WOULD work
    would be to *capture* your footage in slo-mo(50%speed-1/2 speed).
    That way you might get very near all the frames - tho still doubtful.
    So the absolute right way is "direct digital transfer" allowing you
    to render all the 60fps in your 30fps MOV -which gives you slo-motion.

    Anyone can manage this - it's just the basic fundementals
    to constructing a typical QT .MOV (or AVI) depends on whether
    you've ever read about Quitcktime and how it basically works.
    There is all sorts of free software to do the job - Strata VideoShop
    was a freebee in version 3.0 compliments of Strata®.

    Hope this info helps you out ; )
    Cheers

    King Guest

  3. #3

    >nina stössinger eschewed 9/4/03 4:02 AM:

    One other thing Nina.. ; ) --if these .AVI's 'automatically made'
    by this particular cam - then it's what those AVI's(MOV's) fps
    are being limited to.. i,e.,. 30fps/60fps..etc.
    You might reply with info on this particular brand/make of camera
    and that will perhaps be of use to fellow members to answer.

    *last footnote*
    You can"manually force"QT to playback at half speed(15fps per 30fps)
    by holding down the control key while clicking the "frame adv arrow"[>
    and adjusting speed of play by sliding the "arrow turned tempo control".
    This will allow a Psuedo slo-mo viewing..but not genuine high-rez slo-mo.
    Cheers ; )

    King Guest

  4. #4

    King Neptune wrote:

    A lot. :) Can't tell you exactly how many, but certainly more than 30.

    uh - I have no idea how the original file was captured. I do know that we
    watched the AVI at the clinic, on the PC, using this special software that I
    mentioned, and it was playing in super smooth slow motion (this was the same
    AVI I got - he didn't export the original movie or something). The guy who
    gave me the files (OK, my doctor) said I'd have to use the shareware prog I
    mentioned in order for it to play right. *shrug*

    Is it possible that Quicktime just 'skips' the surplus frames? The file is
    something like 98MB and only 3-4 seconds long (in Grayscale!), so I tend to
    think there is 'more info' in there than QT is giving me.

    So I'd use this to screen capture the AVI??

    Thing is - the AVI doesn't play quite smooth either...

    VirtualPC? *sigh*

    Thanks a lot for the info!

    cheers,
    nina

    nina Guest

  5. #5

    King Neptune wrote:

    HA! Found the info: 250 fps.

    iMovie? Maybe?

    cheers,
    nina

    nina Guest

  6. #6

    nina stössinger eschewed 9/4/03 10:06 AM:

    > HA! Found the info: 250 fps.
    >
    > iMovie? Maybe?
    >

    > cheers,
    > nina
    >[/ref]
    You are most likely correct about i-Movie perhaps having
    the capabilities to run or re-render this special type AVI.

    But since you are working with G4 and higher - perhaps my conclusions
    fall short.
    And since i've yet to employ OS X.xx and the likes of i-Movie these
    questions are best answered by knowledgeable members
    such as Phil Lefebvre ..or Jerry Kindall- people that do OS X.

    But one thing will never change - whether made or playback in QT
    is that you MUST have ALL the frames included in the movieclip.
    All the Best ; )

    King Guest

  7. #7

    King Neptune wrote:

    Thanks again for your help! I'm quite excited to try this.

    nina

    nina Guest

  8. #8

    nina stössinger eschewed 9/4/03 11:56 AM:

    > Thanks again for your help! I'm quite excited to try this.
    >

    > nina
    >[/ref]
    You're most welcome sweetie..and thankyou
    for all 99 of those wonderful "luft balloons" ; )
    Ciao,

    King Guest

  9. #9

    King Neptune wrote:

    hey, that was nEna. i'm nIna. people have been doing this to me ever since
    kindergarten. :-P

    nina

    nina Guest

  10. #10

    King Neptune wrote:

    Just a quick feedback - problem resolved. It was easier than I thought - I
    just imported it into Director, played around with playback properties and
    exported as .mov. Voila. =)

    Thanks again
    nina

    nina Guest