Professional Web Applications Themes

Hidden Graphics - Memory leak? - Adobe Indesign Windows

I have about 50 separate simple 2 page layouts, including a link to a 3Mb GIF. All of them have the following problem at different times... Sometimes when I load one of the files, the graphic is hidden. It does not show anything at all. There is not even a frame border (I can see the frame borders for all my other elements). If I click in the area where the graphic should be, I can select the graphic and the frame border now appears (but not the graphic itself). If I deselect it by clicking elsewhere, the frame border ...

  1. #1

    Default Hidden Graphics - Memory leak?

    I have about 50 separate simple 2 page layouts, including a link to a 3Mb GIF. All of them have the following problem at different times...

    Sometimes when I load one of the files, the graphic is hidden. It does not show anything at all. There is not even a frame border (I can see the frame borders for all my other elements).

    If I click in the area where the graphic should be, I can select the graphic and the frame border now appears (but not the graphic itself). If I deselect it by clicking elsewhere, the frame border disappears again.

    If I use the direct select tool (that is the one that allows me to move a graphic within it's frame), after a short period of time, I can see the ghost image of the graphic, that allows me to re-position it (a great feature by the way).

    Changing the detail level of the view (either at a global level, or for the graphic element alone) has no effect. The links palete also reports no problems.

    Exiting ID and re-loading ID has no effect. In fact the only way I can clear the problem is to reboot my PC. This works, and the graphic will display normally again. This suggest to me that the root cause is not in the file format, but may be a memory issue.

    When does the problem occur? ... well this depends, sometimes it happens with the third file of the day , other times it might not happen until the tenth or eleventh!

    An additional factor that may be of interest is what happens when the file is exported to pdf. If I can see the graphic in ID, then I will be able to see it in Acrobat. If I cannot see the graphic in ID, then I will not be able to see it in Acobat. Finally, if I use illustrator to open the pdf file the graphic is there but hidden behind masks etc.

    I hope that this lot helps, and wonder if anybody has any thoughts as to the nature of the issue...

    I am running XP Pro, ID CS (both fully patched) on a dual processor PC with 1Gb RAM and 30Gb HD space remaining. I am also running VersionCue ;_(

    PS. ID export to pdf ... the save file as dialogue box ... the enter key does not actiavte the OK button.
    Martin_Folley@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hidden Graphics - Memory leak?

    How does this forum operate? Is it monitored by tech support? can anybody suggest where else I can get assistance for this serious (to me) problem?
    Martin_Folley@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    This is a user to user forum. Apparently nobody else has ever seen
    anything like this therefore you've gotten no response.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    with the doent open push "w" key.

    does that change anything?
    Bryce_Steiner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    The preview modes have no effect on the symptons ... I have tried display preferences in all of the display modes combination that I can think of.
    Martin_Folley@adobeforums.com Guest