Professional Web Applications Themes

Hidden Images - Macromedia Fireworks

Hi, Can you please tell me how to put hidden images into images so that when people print the images out it prints out the hidden images. (for copyright purposes) Also can you please tell me how to get a message to pop up on the image when someone tries to save the image. Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Hidden Images

    Hi,

    Can you please tell me how to put hidden images into images so that when people print the images out it prints out the hidden images. (for copyright purposes)

    Also can you please tell me how to get a message to pop up on the image when someone tries to save the image.

    Thanks

    deskline Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hidden Images

    In article <bufbjn$cl$macromedia.com>,
    "deskline" com wrote:

    You can't stop people from grabbing images from a web page; all you'll
    do is aggravate honest visitors. No matter how hard you try, all anyone
    has to do is make a screen capture--if pixels can be seen on the
    monitor, they can be saved, and no trickery can prevent it.. If you
    can't afford to have an image swiped, don't put it on a web server.

    What you *can* do is register the copyright. Then when you find a
    violator, you can sue for damages. You'll probably never collect enough
    to cover your costs, though.

    --
    Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/

  3. #3

    You could use this script, but keep in mind that people can easily get around this. Screen captures or disabling JavaScript will render your defenses useless. Also Netscape doesn't seem to do anything with this script.
    <script language="JavaScript1.2">
    var clickmessage="Copyright © 2003 Pat Lyttle "
    function disableclick(e) {
    if (doent.all) {
    if (event.button==2||event.button==3) {
    if (event.srcElement.tagName=="IMG"){
    alert(clickmessage);
    return false;
    }
    }
    }
    else if (doent.layers) {
    if (e.which == 3) {
    alert(clickmessage);
    return false;
    }
    }
    else if (doent.getElementById){
    if (e.which==3&&e.target.tagName=="IMG"){
    alert(clickmessage)
    return false
    }
    }
    }function associateimages(){
    for(i=0;i<doent.images.length;i++)
    doent.images[i].onmousedown=disableclick;
    }if (doent.all)
    doent.onmousedown=disableclick
    else if (doent.getElementById)
    doent.onmouseup=disableclick
    else if (doent.layers)
    associateimages()
    </script>

    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    - Calvin &amp; Hobbes

    visit The Foreigner - Japan
    EelcoH Guest

  4. #4

    "EelcoH" <com> wrote in message
    around this. Screen captures or disabling JavaScript will render your
    defenses useless. Also Netscape doesn't seem to do anything with this
    script.
    <snip>

    Screen capture is, mostly, an overkill. All downloaded images get stored in
    browser cache. Nobody can stop me from browsing my local browser cache,
    searching for files being added during last 1 minute and copyind them
    anythere else on my HD. Actually, that's what I often do to SWF files which
    I wish to have for my personal reference. It's not that I'm stealing them,
    like, making money out of them or pretending I created them - it's that I
    sometimes wish to have the file on my HD as an interesting example of cool
    effect, or accurate color choice, or something else I wish to learn. When
    right-clicking gives nothing but "About Macromedia Flash player...", I just
    extract the files from the cache, that's all.

    The only thing scripts for disabling right click can *really* do is make
    visitors quite angry about losing convenient way to "open in new window" and
    stuff.

    And of course there are dozens of more elegant solutions that just disabling
    JS, for example, filtering the HTML using appropriate proxy so that this
    specific sort of JS gets corrupted enough and does not execute, while other
    JSes do.

    As Lanny said: "You can't stop people from grabbing images from a web page;
    all you'll do is aggravate honest visitors". Very true.

    Ilyich.
    Ilya Razmanov (a.k.a. Ilyich the Toad)
    http://photoshop.msk.ru/ - Photoshop plug-in filters
    "If you're still alive, boy, you're under arrest!" - Full Throttle

    Ilya Guest

  5. #5

    Everything Ilya said is true. There are more "convenient" ways of retrieving the images.

    This code however doesn't rob people from the option of opening links in a new window. Only right clicking on images is disabled.

    This is more a method of discouraging your visitors to copy the images. Most people won't go to the trouble of diving into their browser cache, or making screenshots of the website. (Unless your images would really be worth it to them.)

  6. #6

    "EelcoH" com wrote:

    Only right clicking? This alone is reason enough not to use this kind of
    useless script. Not only are they completely innefective, disabling
    ANY part of a user's computer should be avoided at all cost. I use
    right-clicking constantly to bookmark pages, go back or forward and
    more. Disabling righ-click creates far more problems than it solves and,
    at this point in time, it looks extremely amateurish IMO. Lanny was
    right. If you can't live with some people stealing your images, they
    don't belong on the Web period. It's really as simple as that.

    Stéphane Bergeron

    Stéphane Guest

  7. #7

    "St?phane Bergeron" <com> wrote in message

    > Only right clicking? This alone is reason enough not to use this kind of
    > useless script.[/ref]

    I think he meant "disabling right click on images only". That severely
    reduce the harm made by such a script, still, I don't see any reason to
    increase page size and disable something while it doesn't really protect my
    images in any way.

    Can't agree more. What I really hate is the sites removing status or other
    bars from browser UI, or disabling something, or changing my browser window
    size. Hell, it is *my* browser after all, and I don't want anyone change
    anything about it!

  8. #8

    Again I stress, only right clicking ON the image is disabled, right clicking OUTSIDE the image is still available. Bookmarking, opening links in new windows, showing source, properties, printing, creating shortcuts and whatever else you might like to do, you can, as long as you do not right click on the image, but outside its margins.

    As I said, it's not failsafe, far from it. If you want to steal the image, you can without too much trouble. But it will discourage a lot of people.

    I think the idea is to be able to show people your work, and to try and protect it as well as possible. If there are better options to do this, I'd like to know myself.

    Saying that it's no good, without offering an alternative isn't very constructive or helpful.

  9. #9

    "EelcoH" com wrote:

    But that's just it. It *is* no good and there is no alternatives other
    than not publishing those images on the Web. I'd love if there was one
    or if disabling right click had no adverse effects but that is not the
    case. IMO, disabling right-click even on individual images is not worth
    the extra code added to the page.

    Stéphane

    Stéphane Guest

  11. #11

    "EelcoH" <com> wrote in message
    <snip>
    constructive or helpful.
    <snip>

    "Constructive" and "helpful" are good words but, unfurtunately, I personally
    cannot change the nature of things. If I say that "once the brick falls
    right onto your head, you may get killed" - it is not very "constructive",
    but still the bricks tend to fall according to some natural laws, regardless
    of what I think about it. If I say that "image published on the Web may be
    stolen without a problem" - it is not very "constructive" but it's just the
    way the things work. It's not my fault that the images published on the Web
    may be stolen. About the only solution to that would be using some uncommon
    format, with some protection, and, correspondingly, the browser plugins to
    read that particular format. But then again, it will reduce your page
    accessability.

    Of course, you may also add visible "watermark" (like semitransparent text
    copyrigt notice) to your images. But again, if you make it small and add it
    outside of critical image area, it may be cropped, or removed with "Rubber
    stamp" tool, or something; and if you make it large and add it to the
    critical image area, it will just ruin image appearance.

    And yes, of course, there are things like DigiMark and stuff, that implants
    encoded signature in the image pixels. Well... by doing that, they degrade
    overall image quality, and of course any "DigiMark disabled" software will
    just skip this info. Needless to say, no DigiMark too will be able to read
    such a signature from, say, scanned example of the printed copy of the
    image.

    I know this is not very "constructive" but... hell, we still have no choice
    but keep living in this world and play according to it's rules.

    Ilyich.
    Ilya Razmanov (a.k.a. Ilyich the Toad)
    http://photoshop.msk.ru/ - Photoshop plug-in filters
    "How did I get into this mess? I really don't know how. We
    seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life." - C3PO, Star Wars

    Ilya Guest