Professional Web Applications Themes

Hide control and reclaim screen space - Macromedia Flex General Discussion

I what to show/hide one or more controls in a panel. When I hide a control I want it to appear as if it was never there. When I hide a control with someControl.visible=false the control is not visable but it is still taking up the same space as if it was. I've tried hidding it by setting it's height or width=0 but some padding still exists. How can I reclaim all screen real estate when hidding a control?...

  1. #1

    Default Hide control and reclaim screen space

    I what to show/hide one or more controls in a panel. When I hide a control I
    want it to appear as if it was never there. When I hide a control with
    someControl.visible=false the control is not visable but it is still taking up
    the same space as if it was. I've tried hidding it by setting it's height or
    width=0 but some padding still exists. How can I reclaim all screen real
    estate when hidding a control?

    ScottGill Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hide control and reclaim screen space

    you could try deleting and then recreating it with ActionScript.

    You might look at the layout container that you have your control in, there is
    something called verticalGap and horizontalGap that might be the padding you're
    seeing.

    You could always put it in a popup thereby not having to worry about it at all.

    bdeen Guest

  3. #3

    If you can use a Canvas, most of those control flow, size , margin and padding issues go away. But you lose the control flow, margin and padding.

    Tracy
    ntsiii Guest

  4. #4

    Go on and request an enhancement for a true "display=none" functionality. I have, and the more who do, the better.

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/email/wishform/[/url]
    ntsiii Guest

  5. #5

    Setting the gap to zero in the parent container does get rid of the left over
    padding when setting height or width=0 but I then lose the gap for the visible
    components as well. To get around that I could wrap each component in a
    container and set its' margins to recreate the gap. That seems to work in my
    initial tests but could add a lot of extra containers.

    Using ActionScript is something I though of also but I was hoping for a
    simpler solution.

    Thanks for your suggestions. I submitted an enhancment request as suggested.

    ScottGill Guest

  6. #6

    instead of a container you could use <mx:Spacer> and set the spacer to the size of the gap.
    bdeen Guest