Professional Web Applications Themes

Hide source, compiling, whatever! - PERL Miscellaneous

Hey, I have several programs that I would like to install on a client's website. However, this client has been known to be very good friends with a local competing designer (who happens to be a terrible programmer), and in my opinion is very likely to give his friend access to the server and download my programs, regardless of copyright. One of these programs I've spent years perfecting, and I would be pretty upset if it was swiped by this guy. So, I've been researching ways of keeping this from happening. Some of the programs will call certain modules, some ...

  1. #1

    Default Hide source, compiling, whatever!

    Hey, I have several programs that I would like to install on a
    client's website. However, this client has been known to be very good
    friends with a local competing designer (who happens to be a terrible
    programmer), and in my opinion is very likely to give his friend
    access to the server and download my programs, regardless of
    copyright. One of these programs I've spent years perfecting, and I
    would be pretty upset if it was swiped by this guy.

    So, I've been researching ways of keeping this from happening. Some of
    the programs will call certain modules, some of which come with Perl
    and others are installed manually. I program on a Windows 98 machine
    (and test with ActivePerl 5.8.0 and Apache 1.3.27), but upload to a
    Linux Redhat 6.2 server running Apache 1.3.26.

    At this point, I am looking for any option possible. I tried Perl2Exe,
    but can't get even the simplest script to work in the browser (they'll
    work at the Dos command prompt, but not when I try to open them from
    the browser). I've also tried PerlCC that came with ActivePerl, but
    get nothing but errors when trying to compile (and it never completes
    the compilation).

    Are there any modules that I can install to permanently encrypt the
    source code? Any other suggestions? This would likely be a one-time
    occurrence, so I'm hesitant to buy a program unless I have to, but at
    this point I'm open to any suggestions.

    TIA,

    Mike
    Mike Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hide source, compiling, whatever!

    Mike wrote:

    (snipped)
    > One of these programs I've spent years perfecting, and I
    > would be pretty upset if it was swiped by this guy.
    > Are there any modules that I can install to permanently encrypt the
    > source code? Any other suggestions?
    A suggestion is to not ask this question. Should you research the
    archives of this group, you will immediately discover your exact
    question is a most favorite troll question.

    Certainly you don't want others to assume you to be a troll.

    What you ask is impossible. Do your homework and avoid making
    yourself look to be a troll.

    Google *clpm -- hundreds of articles on this over many years,
    almost all are initiated by trolls. Research, read and learn.

    Purl Gurl * finally notices some of her past articles have been unlawfully removed *
    --
    Most controversial thread in the history of clpm:
    [url]http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=d69c459432f1c4c&seekm=389F9985.EA4F1A7E%40mc. net#link1[/url]

  3. #3

    Mike wrote at Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:19:36 -0700:
    > Hey, I have several programs that I would like to install on a
    > client's website. However, this client has been known to be very good
    > friends with a local competing designer (who happens to be a terrible
    > programmer), and in my opinion is very likely to give his friend
    > access to the server and download my programs, regardless of
    > copyright. One of these programs I've spent years perfecting, and I
    > would be pretty upset if it was swiped by this guy.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > Are there any modules that I can install to permanently encrypt the
    > source code? Any other suggestions? This would likely be a one-time
    > occurrence, so I'm hesitant to buy a program unless I have to, but at
    > this point I'm open to any suggestions.
    Have you already read
    perldoc -q hide

    Greetings,
    Janek
    Janek Schleicher Guest

  4. #4

    On 25 Jun 2003 21:19:36 -0700, [email]csdudehotmail.com[/email] (Mike) wrote:
    >Hey, I have several programs that I would like to install on a
    >client's website. However, this client has been known to be very good
    >friends with a local competing designer (who happens to be a terrible
    >programmer), and in my opinion is very likely to give his friend
    >access to the server and download my programs, regardless of
    >copyright. One of these programs I've spent years perfecting, and I
    >would be pretty upset if it was swiped by this guy.
    This is a FAQ. Read all about it in:

    perldoc -q hide

    Short answer, can't be done.
    >At this point, I am looking for any option possible. I tried Perl2Exe,
    >but can't get even the simplest script to work in the browser (they'll
    >work at the Dos command prompt, but not when I try to open them from
    >the browser).
    What on earth does a browser have to do with Perl?
    Are you trying to make a CGI program? Your web
    server is probably configured to allow CGI programs
    with the .pl or .cgi extensions, but not .exe, but
    thatīs a web server configuration issue, not a Perl issue.

    Perl2exe works extremely well, in my experience, but
    it's not free and the code is not well hidden.

    The PAR module (available from CPAN) does the
    same thing and is free.

    PerlApp from Activestate is similar, but not free.
    > I've also tried PerlCC that came with ActivePerl, but
    >get nothing but errors when trying to compile (and it never completes
    >the compilation).
    Never has and probably never will.
    >Are there any modules that I can install to permanently encrypt the
    >source code?
    No. I don't think so. Licence it properly.
    >Any other suggestions? This would likely be a one-time
    >occurrence, so I'm hesitant to buy a program unless I have to, but at
    >this point I'm open to any suggestions.
    I doubt very much that your programs are so super
    duper that it will be worth his while to steal them.

    There are a lot of *superb* Perl programs available
    for free out there at [url]www.stonehenge.com[/url], [url]www.perlmonks.org[/url]
    and nms-cgi.sourceforge.net for example.
    Helgi Briem Guest

  5. #5

    > This is a FAQ. Read all about it in:
    >
    > perldoc -q hide
    >
    > Short answer, can't be done.
    Thanks to all of you for the advice. I didn't realize it was that
    commonly asked, I guess it was a matter of searching for the wrong
    terms. Everything I found was from 1999 and 2000, and I was hoping
    that something more recent was available.

    I apologize again for the "troll-like" question, I certainly didn't
    mean for it to be.

    > The PAR module (available from CPAN) does the
    > same thing and is free.
    I really think that this will work, I appreciate the tip! It won't be
    perfect, but probably close enough.

    > I doubt very much that your programs are so super
    > duper that it will be worth his while to steal them.
    LOL you might be surprised! I've had it happen no less than 3 other
    times (by this guy and another).

    Thanks for the PAR tip,

    Mike
    Mike Guest

  6. #6

    Mike wrote:
    >>The PAR module (available from CPAN) does the
    >>same thing and is free.
    >
    > I really think that this will work, I appreciate the tip! It won't be
    > perfect, but probably close enough.
    The PAR module won't help you at all. PAR is a packaging mechanism
    which bundles your Perl code (+modules and optionally a Perl
    interpreter) into a single file, which is easy to distribute. When the
    file is run it decompresses the code and runs it. The code is right
    there in a temp file for all the world to see. (I seem to remember that
    if you even open the .exe in a text editor, the code is there in plain
    text).

    Also, you don't want to use a PAR exe as a CGI script as there would be
    a large overhead on every execution whilst the code was decompressed.

    If this is just a CGI script then why not host it yourself somewhere and
    let your customer point their forms at it? That way you retain full
    control over your code.

    HTH

    Simon.

    Simon Andrews Guest