Professional Web Applications Themes

High speed vs normal CF memory cards - Photography

Has anybody noticed a difference between the new high-speed Compact Flash cards vs. the "normal" ones? Are they worth the extra bucks? I have a Nikon D70, if that makes a difference. Thanks, Sheldon net...

  1. #1

    Default High speed vs normal CF memory cards

    Has anybody noticed a difference between the new high-speed Compact Flash
    cards vs. the "normal" ones? Are they worth the extra bucks?

    I have a Nikon D70, if that makes a difference.

    Thanks,

    Sheldon
    net

    Sheldon Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: High speed vs normal CF memory cards

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 20:00:00 -0700, "Sheldon"
    <net> wrote:

    On my 40X Lexar cards the camera write time is noticably shorter than
    on my older cards freeing up the buffer and making the LCD preview
    available quicker. When shooting continuous mode RAW fromat the
    buffer clears faster and sine these days there isn't that much of a
    premium on high speed cards I'd say yes they are worth it. If you
    shoot JPG only in one of the latest SLRs maybe not so much.

    Ron

    com
    http://ronsfotos.com
    http:/ronstoons.com
    http://ronanddave.com
    Ron Guest

  3. #3

    Sheldon wrote: [/ref]

    They are, IMO, worth the extra cost and in my experience are much faster
    recording pix which cuts down the time between shots substantially....
     [/ref]

    All cameras should benefit, IMO, from using faster cards...

    PC

    Proconsul Guest

  4. #4

    Proconsul wrote:
     [/ref]

    > They are, IMO, worth the extra cost and in my experience are much faster
    > recording pix which cuts down the time between shots substantially....
    > [/ref]
    >
    > All cameras should benefit, IMO, from using faster cards...
    >
    >[/ref]

    And if you have a firewire or USB 2.0 reader, shouldn't they also download
    faster?

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey Guest

  5. #5

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 20:00:00 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    "Sheldon" <net> wrote:

    Yes.
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6816
    ----------
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Ruf.com)
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Guest

  6. #6

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:14:18 -0800, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    "Proconsul" <org> wrote:

    Not sure if this is true for all dslrs, but definitely not true of all
    cameras. For example my Nikon 5700 takes 20-22 sec to save to NEF,
    regardless of whether a Lexar 8x or 40xWA card is used. The card in not
    always the limiting component.
    ----------

  7. #7

    Stacey wrote:

    Apparently the D70 and 7D both suffer from a 2.0 interface that runs at 1.1
    speeds...so a faster card won't help. Canon 20D behaves properly. Hopefully
    both Nikon and K-M can fix this in a firmware upgrade.

    Alan Guest

  8. #8

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > Apparently the D70 and 7D both suffer from a 2.0 interface that runs
    > at 1.1 speeds...so a faster card won't help. Canon 20D behaves
    > properly. Hopefully both Nikon and K-M can fix this in a firmware
    > upgrade.[/ref]

    They certainly /can/ benefit if you put the cards in a faster reader.
    Direct camera connections, though, may indeed be limited by the camera.

    Cheers,
    David

    David Guest

  9. #9

    Yes but you can use a SanDisk USB v2.0 Memory card Reader (or similar vendor) and you will
    see the full benefit of the CF's speed. I use the SanDisk 6 -in- 1 USB v2.0 Card Reader and
    SanDisk 1GB UltraII 60x speed cards.

    --
    Dave

    "Alan Browne" <ca> wrote in message
    | Stacey wrote:
    | > And if you have a firewire or USB 2.0 reader, shouldn't they also download
    | > faster?
    |
    | Apparently the D70 and 7D both suffer from a 2.0 interface that runs at 1.1
    | speeds...so a faster card won't help. Canon 20D behaves properly. Hopefully
    | both Nikon and K-M can fix this in a firmware upgrade.
    |

    | --
    | -- r.p.e.35mm user resource: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
    | -- r.p.d.slr-systems: http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
    | -- [SI] gallery & rulz: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
    | -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

    David Guest

  10. #10

    David J Taylor wrote:

    >>Apparently the D70 and 7D both suffer from a 2.0 interface that runs
    >>at 1.1 speeds...so a faster card won't help. Canon 20D behaves
    >>properly. Hopefully both Nikon and K-M can fix this in a firmware
    >>upgrade.[/ref]
    >

    > They certainly /can/ benefit if you put the cards in a faster reader.
    > Direct camera connections, though, may indeed be limited by the camera.[/ref]

    I was speaking in terms of camera-to-computer. I didn't read the other post
    carefully enough...

    Alan Guest

  11. #11

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    I replied out of context, didn't realize it was card readers at issue.

    Alan Guest

  12. #12

    That's alright. It still adds to the totality of the thread.

  13. #13

    "Sheldon" <net> wrote in message

    I use an 80x 1GB Lexar & she flies!!!!! Writes a raw file from the canon 20D
    in 1.3 seconds!!!!!

    Mac Guest

  14. #14

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 20:00:00 -0700, "Sheldon"
    <net> wrote:

    When photographing stuff:

    ONLY if you are shooting more than 4 (NEF) frames in sequence, or
    about 7 JPEGs. Up until that point, the D70's high-speed buffer will
    hold the images and write them to the card at whatever speed the card
    will work at.

    When downloading images:
    Possibly, if using a high-speed capable card reader. (The D70's USB
    port runs at the slow 1.1 speed) Does this matter that much? No.

    I use 80x stuff, wasn't too expensive and have found myself shooting
    sequences longer than 4 shots on several occasions.

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga Guest

  15. #15

    What did you pay for the 1GB card ?

    --
    Dave

    "Mac Tabak" <com> wrote in message news:ctvs6j$qs7$svr.pol.co.uk...

    | "Sheldon" <net> wrote in message
    | > Has anybody noticed a difference between the new high-speed Compact Flash
    | > cards vs. the "normal" ones? Are they worth the extra bucks?
    | >
    | > I have a Nikon D70, if that makes a difference.
    | >
    | > Thanks,
    | >
    | > Sheldon
    | > net
    |
    | I use an 80x 1GB Lexar & she flies!!!!! Writes a raw file from the canon 20D
    | in 1.3 seconds!!!!!

    David Guest

  16. #16

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    Last week I got one (Lexar 80x 1.0GB) from Costco.com for $99 - $20
    rebate = $79. Rebate ended yesterday, I think. I've seen them at $89
    pretty consistently at majors like Adorama.

    --
    Frank ess

    >> I use an 80x 1GB Lexar & she flies!!!!! Writes a raw file from the
    >> canon 20D
    >> in 1.3 seconds!!!!![/ref][/ref]

    Frank Guest

  17. #17

    Sweet deal !

    --
    Dave

    "Frank ess" <com> wrote in message news:com...
    | David H. Lipman wrote:
    | > What did you pay for the 1GB card ?
    | >

    | Last week I got one (Lexar 80x 1.0GB) from Costco.com for $99 - $20
    | rebate = $79. Rebate ended yesterday, I think. I've seen them at $89
    | pretty consistently at majors like Adorama.
    |

    | --
    | Frank ess

    David Guest

  18. #18

    I see that SanDisk has 20MB/s CF cards (Extreme III) that equiates to ~133x.
    I love it, they get faster all the time !

    http://www.sandisk.com/retail/ext3-cf.asp

    --
    Dave

    "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    | Sweet deal !
    |
    | --
    | Dave

    David Guest