Professional Web Applications Themes

HIGHEST WARNING !!! OS X 10.2.6 CORRUPTS ALL HARDDISKS UNDER OS9 - Macromedia Director Lingo

OSX.2.6 sets os9 deadly privileges on every harddisk and every harddiskvolume ever connected to an osx 10.2.6 system that cannot be removed. What happens is the harddisk sectors like - the driver descriptor index, - the partition index, - the volume header block, and - the alternative header block, - the catalog B-tree are all set to lock ! So they can not be overwritten or altered by anything else then the osx admin system. So even when you take out the harddrive format it under DOS, form it into an NTFS volume will not take these permissions away !!! ...

  1. #1

    Default HIGHEST WARNING !!! OS X 10.2.6 CORRUPTS ALL HARDDISKS UNDER OS9

    OSX.2.6 sets os9 deadly privileges on every harddisk and every
    harddiskvolume ever connected to an osx 10.2.6 system that cannot be
    removed.

    What happens is the harddisk sectors like
    - the driver descriptor index,
    - the partition index,
    - the volume header block, and
    - the alternative header block,
    - the catalog B-tree
    are all set to lock !

    So they can not be overwritten or altered by anything else then the osx
    admin system. So even when you take out the harddrive format it under
    DOS, form it into an NTFS volume will not take these permissions away
    !!! and they are really nasty to destinguish.

    The result however is that when the system is also being used under os-9
    this system will eventually fail completely within a timespan of weeks
    or months. Depending of the intensity of the use. You will see
    disapearing disks, you mightlose valuable data and probeably to avoid
    further problems you will stop using OS9 (Classic).

    Steve Jobs if you're out there this is a brilliant plan to lose all the
    os9 users. If it's not your fault get it together and make shure this
    never happens again because it is absolutely Apple unworthy !!!

    However i found a painfull elaborate way of desinfecting your systems.

    no1. make shure you
    - Backup all the data you can.
    - 2 harddrives in your computer.
    - 1st harddrive (Master) 2nd drive (Slave) [NO Cable Select Setting]
    - Diskwarrior 2.1 under os9.x
    - Norton 5 or 6 on your os9 disk. (Do not use to make changes!!!)
    - A booteable os9.x cd-rom systemdisk
    - A lot of time - 3 hours minimum.
    - Disks are not bigger then 120Gb!!!

    no2.
    - Startup under os9.x or if nothing starts from the booteable system
    cd-rom.
    - If you see the osx volume then erase/format the volume Erase the disk
    if you can. You also can use the "Drive Setup" Utility.
    (If your disk is already in big trouble and you cannot see your disk try
    shutting down the machine for several hours, change the dipswitches from
    'cable setting' to 'master' and 'slave' until the drives can be mounted
    and seen on the desktop) or seen under the 'Drive Setup' Utility from
    your Utility's folder

    By formatting the os-x 10.2.6 volume you enable that the permissions set
    on your harddrives can be undone.

    no3.
    To get rid of all the unwanted osx permissions you must restart with
    extensions off (press Shift at startup).
    Now you have to proces volume by volume and harddrive by harddrive with
    Diskwarrior 2.1 (Diskwarrior 3.1 will not work since it works under osx
    10.2.6)This utility will not proces the startupdisk and the disk it has
    started from. This is why you need 2 diskdrives.

    At the end you can check the result with Norton 6 or Norton 5. BUT
    If Norton finds serious problems make shure not to correct them with
    Norton !!! Because Norton is not able to undo the permissions set by osx
    10.2.6 and will result in total diskloss. In fact it is adviseable to
    reformat all drives because otherwise it will be hard to distinguish
    real problems from the problems caused by the permissions from osx. This
    all means that you are about to copy a lot of data from one to another
    drive. The permisions will not be transfered by copying data under os9.

    no4.
    When you need to work with osx there are two alternatives:
    - Your machine has to work with osx 10.2.6. only. You have to abandon
    the os9 boot and be verry carefull what external drives come in contact
    with this system. OR
    - You have to work with version 10.2.2 This one will only corrupt the
    permissions on the volume it is put on. Other volumes will stay intact.
    They still can be treated with Disc Warrior and Norton 5 or 6.

    It is a shame that software like Final Cut 4 need OSx 10.2.6 to work and
    will not colaborate succesfull with os9 applications.

    NOT SOLVED:
    However there is no remedy for Diskdrives bigger then 120Gb !!!
    This is a real problem for owners of big Lacie etc Firewire disks
    because all these drives are corrupted by one contact with a os-x 10.2.6
    system.
    Anyone who has the method to resolve their permissions problem is
    welcome to let us know.

    Finally:
    To be able to make this article these facts have been encountered on
    more then 8 different machines. And the procedure to get rid of the
    problem was repeated on every machine with the same succes. Most
    machines are in the range of G4-400 - G4-1250DP.
    The drives where 40Gb- 120Gb IBM's, 80-200Gb WD Caviar's and 1 120Gb
    Maxtor.
    The utility that Apple introduced to prevent disappearing Harddisks
    under osx "Hard Drive Update 1" did not have any effect on any of these
    drives.
    The OSX 10.2.6 install was done by several 10.2.x installers with
    upgrades to 10.2.6 via the web.
    and a brandnew OSX 10.2.6 dvd standalone installer.
    All with the same devious results.

    Good Luck with this information.

    Kay Belik Guest

  2. #2

[...]

    more then 8 different machines. The procedure to get rid of the problem

  3. #3

    My experience has not been the same. I've worked in both many times and
    haven't noticed what you described. How many machines have you seen this
    on? 1 or many? Has it occurred to you that you have a faulty hard disk?

    In article <3F65AE68.8C6C5D74danda.nl>, [email]kaydanda.nl[/email] says...

    Me Guest

  4. #4

    Read the article more carefull !..

    It was on more then 8 different machines and we can reproduce the whole thing
    time after time

    Use Norton 5 or 6 to monitor your disk; but.. do not not use it to correct
    anything under os9 .. That will destroy your disks because those actions are
    not carried out because of the osx permissions.

    Kay

    Kay Belik Guest

  5. #5

    In article <3F65BD96.C5F0D55Bdanda.nl>, [email]kaydanda.nl[/email] says...
    > Read the article more carefull !..
    >
    > It was on more then 8 different machines and we can reproduce the whole thing
    > time after time
    >
    > Use Norton 5 or 6 to monitor your disk; but.. do not not use it to correct
    > anything under os9 .. That will destroy your disks because those actions are
    > not carried out because of the osx permissions.

    Actually, I don't use Norton at all. Have you tried other disk utilities?
    I've found Norton to cause more problems than it solves. What about
    TechTool or DiskWarrior.

    It just seems a little fishy as what you describe as 10.2.6 permissions
    affect files, not boot blocks and catalogue entries. I don't deny you are
    having a problem, but I don't think it is a permission problem. Boot
    blocks and catalogues are controlled by the disk driver and file system,
    not MacOS X. I don't believe 10.2.6 updated the disk driver or file
    system but I'm not 100% sure. Apple's TechNote database should have a
    Technote on the 10.2.6 update which will tell you for sure. You should
    probably read that TechNote.

    Anyway, since this is not FileMaker related, this is the last post I'll
    make on it here. comp.sys.mac.hardware or com.sys.mac.system would be
    more appropriate.
    Me Guest

  6. #6

    Thx,

    ill try com.sys.mac.system

    And the problem is real .. it's to help you all not to run into this trap aswell ..

    Good Luck

    Kay

    --
    Design & Authoring
    [ Danda] [ D&A] | New Media Solutions | New Media Development

    Bezoek de Websites voor meer informatie:

    HOOFDSITE
    [url]http://www.danda.nl[/url]

    DATABASEPRODUCTEN
    [url]http://www.digital-software.nl[/url]
    [url]http://www.bizz-software.com[/url]

    PORTFOLIO SITE
    [url]http://www.digital-media.nl[/url]

    CONTACTINFORMATIE
    tel. +31(0)73 6446119 / b.g.g. +31(0)6 22985410
    fax +31(0)73 6415878

    Kay Belik Guest